Badger5AH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beer God

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Now is an S3 not worth an extra Ł27 per week more than a clunky old smelly diesel ?
    Does this figure include the differences in Insurance and Tax?

Also just out of interest, how much will it cost to tax both of these cars when those new Road Tax bands come into effect for bigger engined cars? (or did they scrap that?)

Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Get a diesel when you get old.
    I <3 derv!
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stalled

Status
    A5 with or without Quattro? People will argue that the RWD and excellent balance makes the 3 series a driver's car which is true but the A5 Quattro feels so planted to the floor you cant help giving it some beans through corners and roundabout and feel it grip and grip some more whereas the BMW would of slid of into a lampost. Dont get me wrong the 3 series is great to drive but the safe feeling of being in the quattro edging you on to give it some more gas is awesome also.

Looks and interior wise I'd choose A5 full stop no questions ask, its just a beautiful car to look at and be inside.

So for driveability it would be a toss up whether you prefer the tried and tested BMW RWD 50/50 split setup or the Grippy handling of the Quattro, but throw looks, interior and exclusiveness into the equation and the A5 the winner imo.

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure what I would go for.

Not much of a basis for buying a car but you dont see many A5s round in comparison to the 3 series. So they tend to look a bit more special as dont see them so often. But I do like the M-Sport 3 series Coupe as long as it has the 19" wheels... if it was a 335d I'd be more certain of picking the BMW.

Diesels aren't as much out and out fun but I guess it depends on what you use your car for. I go back and forward to work along dual carriageways mainly. Be daft for me to have a big engined sports car as wouldn't be used how it was intended. Plus it would cripple me with the fuel bills!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Neutral

Status
    I don't know about the 330d, but you best figure in to your descision that the 3 series is due a face lift somewhere around oct, november.
    Not much admittedly but if you don't have the new model it will hit residuals.
    BMW were, when I choose my A4 offering the MSport package on their 3 series for 1k. One reason I choose not to have one.

Current thinking is that if you do sub 18k per annum then a petrol is a better buy then a derv.

I love the look of all three cars, all I can say is it's nice to have a choice like that to make!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc49 View Post
    feel it grip and grip some more whereas the BMW would of slid of into a lampost.
    What a load of nonsense!
    You're actually claiming Quattro gives me you more lateral grip than RWD?
    Does it ******.
    It may give you an acceleration advantage in poor conditions, but to suggest it gives a car superior cornering ability is utter crap.
    Why do you think a quattro can corner faster than a RWD car?
    What kind of proof do you have?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Status
    I guess it's down to the old argument of RWD=oversteering at the first sign of a corner....

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

3rd Gear

Status
    quattro will improve grip on all but the best surfaces, but only while you are putting the power down..sometimes leading to a false sense of security. Stop putting the power down and its a no wheel drive like any other car. at this point rwd comes into play with the easier correction abilities. imho of course

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
    I guess it's down to the old argument of RWD=oversteering at the first sign of a corner....

J.
    Are there honestly people still believe this?
    However do we manage to get from A to B, MB?
    Deathtraps, they are, deathtraps.

3rd Gear

Status
    I wouldn't recommend testing either car types limits in an area with lamposts, go out into the countryside to play cos if you hit the lampost it will hurt just as much in either car .. just watch for trees and tractors they hurt more

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Are there honestly people still believe this?
    However do we manage to get from A to B, MB?
    Deathtraps, they are, deathtraps.

Personally I thank the baby jesus after each and every journey

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes View Post
    quattro will improve grip on all but the best surfaces, but only while you are putting the power down..sometimes leading to a false sense of security. Stop putting the power down and its a no wheel drive like any other car. at this point rwd comes into play with the easier correction abilities. imho of course
    when I first drove my r32 in anger I nearly stacked it big time and couldn't understand what this AWD fuss was about.

It was only when I thought about it that I realised what I was doing wrong, took a bit of time to re-educate my brain to plant my foot down if the car started to understeer...

J.

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
    when I first drove my r32 in anger I nearly stacked it big time and couldn't understand what this AWD fuss was about.

It was only when I thought about it that I realised what I was doing wrong, took a bit of time to re-educate my brain to plant my foot down if the car started to understeer...

J.
    Surprised at this one MB. When i had the TT, i drove it exactly like a FWD, with lift off to try and quell understeer. The Haldex system used in the Transverse engine layout VW cars is FWD 90% of the time and doesn't react fast enough to 'give it a boot' to get the back end out.
    10 Plate / 2010 Ibis S3 - Buckets, Bose, Black Optics Grill, GSM Prep + IPhone4 cradle, Light & Rain Sensors, Interior Light Pack, PDC+,19" BBS CH Black Edition Alloys, GIAC Stg1, VWR Panel Filter, VWR custom front springs, VW Uprated Rear ARB. Mich PSS Tyres

To do: 2010 Rns-e, Haldex Performance Controller.

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Sorry but just to be controvercial i've decided after going abck to stratstones last night that the 3 series coupe is a better looking car than the A5. Doesn't quite have the wide planted stance of the A5 but it's a prettier car with more balanced lines....Looks more agile.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

6th Gear

Status
    I don't think the A5 is a bad looking car, but no denying it's 'bulky'.
    Aimed at the American market, as with the Q7, in my opinion.
    The A5 is 1854mm wide.
    The 3 series coupe is 1782mm wide.
    So only 7cms in it.
    So the 'bulky' look of the A5 is down to the styling.

I'd have a 3 series coupe in a shot, if it were practical for me.
    Once the kids are grown up, maybe.
    Mind you, by then, I'm hoping hoverboards will have been invented.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 18th June 2008 at 12:51.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Mind you, by then, I'm hoping hoverboards will have been invented.
    No your talking! Worth going in a de lorean for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12