Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By voorhees
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By Staz

Thread: Bluefinned S3 Top speed 179mph.........ish

is a retronaut

Status

Bluefinned S3 Top speed 179mph.........ish

We had a spot of nice weather on Sunday evening so we went for a drive down the autobahn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYds4yQqEUA

The car had one passenger and half a tank of fuel 50/50 split of Shell Optimax 100 and Aral (BP) Ultimate 100. No particular reason for the split other than locality of filling stations.

Unfortunately you can't see the speedo on this video (you can on the original) but here are the figures:

Car speedo: 179mph
    Garmin c330 Sat Nav : 168mph
    Garmin eTrek H GPS: 165mph

Obviously the speedo is very out and I'm guessing the true top speed is between 165 and 170mph. Not bad.

Edit: Forgot to add this:

Last edited by Staz; 17th June 2008 at 12:25.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2. # ADS
    ADS

L60N
    GG. "C'mon, get 180 ya bastid"

S3 (8P)

Status
    170mph in an A3!
    Mental!
    Love it !

On Boost

Status
    Lovely!

p

5th Gear

Status
    Staz - I'm there on Saturday as you know and will repeat the test. Will be interesting to see how far my speedo is out and if we hit the same speed with exactly the same car. Can't wait now ...

I'm going for 180mph !
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

I was the STIG.

Status
    the cameraman needs to drink less coffee! Can't make out anything on the sat nav screen.

A3 2.0 tdi sport (2005), Xenons, Bose, Leather/Alcantara, 19" replica RS6 alloys, Rieger front bumper/side skirts, Eibach 30mm springs, Caratere Rear Spoiler, Silver wing mirrors, powerflow twin exhaust tips, Alpine iDA-X001 iPod Ready headunit, amp and 1000 watt sub....

5th Gear

Status
    lol; thats nuts!.. I have only ever done about 150 and thats on a disused airfield on a porsche test drive plus... call me a wuss but things happen real fast at 150 and the effect of the scenery flashing past is pretty scary!..
    Not sure I would have the bottle to do it myself... Only ever got my RS4 up to 140..
    Anyway, I feel a re map coming on!!!
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

5th Gear

Status
    You have to max your car at least once. My 3.2 ran out of steam at 150 on the autobahn last year. Your RS4 would have topped 180 easily I'd imagine ? Were you still in second gear at 140 ?
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

I was the STIG.

Status
    was a passenger in a 911 turbo at 175mph on a private road and that was scary!

A3 2.0 tdi sport (2005), Xenons, Bose, Leather/Alcantara, 19" replica RS6 alloys, Rieger front bumper/side skirts, Eibach 30mm springs, Caratere Rear Spoiler, Silver wing mirrors, powerflow twin exhaust tips, Alpine iDA-X001 iPod Ready headunit, amp and 1000 watt sub....

Pedal to the Metal!!!

Status
    I think that the quicker a car gets to those speeds the easier it is to cope with, sort of. You dont watch the speedo going slowly up. I remember being in a mates 9997 turbo and it just rocketed up to 160! lol U dont realise how quick your going until you look at speedo.

5th Gear

Status
    I forwarded your YouTube link to my mate who'll be travelling in my passenger seat.

He sent me this with a note: "Watch out for white cars".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrzPAHMdGQ

6th Gear

Status
    Dunno what you're all on about.... The camera is not blurred at all. I saw the digital speedo reading 177 towards the very end...

Looks like you're 6% out on the speedo though. My own car is only 3% out.

L60N
    At the beginning the tank was full

On Boost

Status
    According to a rolling road my speedo is bang on.

I think Jamiekip's is bang on too or it was according to the police speed laser that tugged him for speeding in Europe.

p

L60N
    Well mines out similar to Staz1000. Going by the fact It reached 175 standard.

Neutral

Status
    Mine showed 163 top whack as standard so guessing my speedo may be fairly accurate - that was before I got my Snooper sat-nav though so can't be sure.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    I forwarded your YouTube link to my mate who'll be travelling in my passenger seat.

He sent me this with a note: "Watch out for white cars".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrzPAHMdGQ
    Whoa that had to hurt!!!!!

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Status
    I managed a speedo reading of 168 and 161 on the GPs in my R32

so thats not bad going Staz
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

is a retronaut

Status
    I thank you!

By the way gents it wasn't at all scary.

Until the return run at 150 odd and someone pulled out on me doing 70 that is.
    8P2 S3

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    I thank you!

By the way gents it wasn't at all scary.

Until the return run at 150 odd and someone pulled out on me doing 70 that is.
    How were the brakes?

under pressure

Status
    Excellent result staz !

I also made a top speed run a while back and did 275 km/h (170 Mph) but my speedo wasn't very far off (checked it with GPS).

What tires do you have ? Are they worn ?
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

Neutral

Status

nice result

I did manage to get a topspeed of 279 on the digital speedo last time I was in Germany. We were 2 in the car and it was with the oem rims with michelin pilot sport tyres.

But a guy in the German Audi forum had a topspeed of 288 km/h at the autobahn in his S3.

Aiculedtzu>> Didnt you post a movie where you had a topspeed of 285 km/h?
    2007 : Phantom Black With Pearl Effect, Leather Seats with White Alcantara, Front Arm Rest, Electric sunroof, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Light and Rain Sensor Pack. Heron Chip: +300 HP +400 NM (Castrol RS 10/60 Oil) My car: http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_vi...099&tipID=2323

under pressure

Status
    275, not 285

I was with my girlfriend in the car and some luggage.

At 255 i lifted my foot a bit because i was passing by a car and from 260 kmh the highway started to climb a bit. Also at that time had a less powerful wetterauer remap.

Here is the movie (posted last year): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQK6rfcfMY
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

Neutral

Status
    aiculedtzu>> Yeah now i remember, and I was wrong about my topspeed too...My topspeed was 269 km/h so next time when im going to germany I will try to get it over 270
    2007 : Phantom Black With Pearl Effect, Leather Seats with White Alcantara, Front Arm Rest, Electric sunroof, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Light and Rain Sensor Pack. Heron Chip: +300 HP +400 NM (Castrol RS 10/60 Oil) My car: http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_vi...099&tipID=2323

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aiculedtzu View Post
    Excellent result staz !

I also made a top speed run a while back and did 275 km/h (170 Mph) but my speedo wasn't very far off (checked it with GPS).

What tires do you have ? Are they worn ?
    Cheers!

They're Bridgestones and they've got 2000 miles of wear on them and that's all.
    8P2 S3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by john_cook View Post
    was a passenger in a 911 turbo at 175mph on a private road and that was scary!
    no, scarey is doing almost 150mph on a motorway in a heavily modded 205 1.9gti racing and slaughtering a heavily modded pug 306 gti-6. sure its ok on a motorway but those 205s were made out of papermache....ran at 170bhp, doesnt sound a lot but it was lightened and weighed about as much as a cornflake packet. Though even scarier was in an modded xr4i doing 130mph in a 40mph zone - those were the days (pre cameras)

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
    no, scarey is doing almost 150mph on a motorway in a heavily modded 205 1.9gti racing and slaughtering a heavily modded pug 306 gti-6. sure its ok on a motorway but those 205s were made out of papermache....ran at 170bhp, doesnt sound a lot but it was lightened and weighed about as much as a cornflake packet. Though even scarier was in an modded xr4i doing 130mph in a 40mph zone - those were the days (pre cameras)
    holy bump batman!!
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
    Scarey for some poor individual who they hit
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Scarey for some poor individual who they hit
    Please....lay this thread to rest somewhere before any more driving god stories land on this 5 year old thread.

is a retronaut

Status
    Random thread bump alert!
    JJ.Foulds likes this.
    8P2 S3

S3 (8P)

Status
    Haha, always funny to see the old `regulars`that used to frequent this place when someone does a thread revival.

Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

is a retronaut

Status
    It was only by chance that I saw this thread at the top of the page!

If anyone is interested, I started developing apps a few years ago so I spend a vast amount of my spare time doing that. Not a lot of time left for ASN
    8P2 S3