TTS Test Drive

markwiggy

Third Gear
Reaction score
Test drove the long awaited TTS today, needless to say ,I am keeping the S3. Not really sure about the looks, performance wise it seemd pretty quick especially in a straight line from a standing start but the whole test was marred by the spaz-tronic gearbox, god that box is aweful I like a car that I know what it will do next, not what it wants to do of it's own accord.Really got out of shape at times due to power not being available when I wanted it, magnetic ride was OK on normal setting in most road conditions, when changed to sport mode on fast A/B roads found the car very jittery,uncomfortable and unpredictable at speeds in access of well over the national speed limit.Car tended to drift very easily on high speed corners, certainly not confidence inspiring, maybe I should try a manual.

Wife loved it though,as did the manageress who was using the car, maybe it is a ladies car after all.

Mark

PS. sorry for the post here, but the TT forum was a little like dodge city, no visitors for a week or more.

hmmm light bodied aluminium modernTT vs heavy ageing steel chassis S3 who wins?

Although the TTS's grill does look like a beavers teeth :ermm:

TTS 50 kg less than S3 with the weight balanced more evenly over weight of the car:readit:.

TTS 50 kg less than S3 with the weight balanced more evenly over weight of the car:readit:.

Yeah ! But you also need an NVQ in hairdressing.

Car did not feel that balanced to me,although probably spent more time trying to come to terms with the gearbox. Car did feel quick at times though, need to drive a manual really to make a proper comparison.

Mark

You'd be hard pushed to notice a 3.4% difference in weight. I thought the TT was a fair bit lighter than the S3, but I guess not then.

Car did not feel that balanced to me,although probably spent more time trying to come to terms with the gearbox. Car did feel quick at times though, need to drive a manual really to make a proper comparison.

Mark
Fair enough, if I was buying either I'd end up with the S3 sportback I guess,possibly in black :hi:

Funny I had a drive in one today and I am no expert at using the paddles to change gear but in auto from a standing start I would says its faster than my S3, but really let down at times by the gearbox if you leave it in auto.
Found the magnetic ride good at least the difference between on and off.
No sign of it feeling twitchy but then I stayed nearly within the speed limit.
Would I buy one,not for me other half likes it thou:scared2:

in auto from a standing start I would says its faster than my S3, but really let down at times by the gearbox if you leave it in auto.
Found the magnetic ride good at least the difference between on and off.
No sign of it feeling twitchy but then I stayed nearly within the speed limit.

Would agree with you, there was a big difference ride wise between on and off as I tried it out on the motorway,turned on it felt like you were driving over marbles and off was a nice sporty but compliant ride.

Mark

Have to say when I heard the TT-S was coming out I did think whether I might change my S3 for one. Then found out though that it was about £7k more with only a marginal performance difference and a lot less practicality. Needless to say I'm keeping the S3.

As i posted in another thread yesterday, i went to Audi at the weekend and test drove my potential options for my next car... S3 and an A5 3.0TDI quattro sport.
The dealer had a TTS there and it's funny but it never even came into the equation as an option. Just can't see myself driving one at all. Far too 'flamboyant' for my tastes. Doesn't matter how good the TTS is i'd struggle to take it seriously.
Obviously that's just my preconceptions of the car, i'm sure it's a nice motor though.

Book figures are 10BHP more and 50kg lighter , with the same 258lb/ft.

The claimed 0-60 is 5.5 Vs 5.7 so not much in it really.

Thell be the same once remapped.

p

My S3 suits me fine... so far check most boxes.

If I was on the market for a 2 seat sports car I had to decide if I wanted style or performance... Style I would go Alfa Spyder, performance I would go Porsche or Z4 M

So no place for a TT in my life really... because the way I see it it is an everyday all round sportscar... and for that I have the S3 which hads practicality and like Paul said... TT would be to flamboyant for an everyday sporstcar, at least for me.

Hairdresser image does not concern me that much I don't really care the assumptions made by other people on basis of your motor...

Pedro

I'm a tad confused why you even entertained a test drive then, unless you're a dab hand with the highlights and the purple rinses! Not sure about the looks, then within an hour clearly you are!

I'm a tad confused why you even entertained a test drive then, unless you're a dab hand with the highlights and the purple rinses! Not sure about the looks, then within an hour clearly you are!

Now I'm confused ,why after an hour do I like the looks, I don't hate it but It isn't jaw dropping if you get my drift, I think I actually prefer the looks of the old model.

Test drove it because it was a maybe for my next vehicle had it had the WOW factor, I have considered a Porsche Cayman (which I do consider to be stunning ),which is a similar type of vehicle. The TTS throws itself directly into the Cayman price bracket, frankly the TTS just cannot compete, the Cayman is far superior although loses out on the interior as I do like the interior in the TTS., a much nicer place to be.

Mark

Just how much faster did it feel?

Massive or just because it had a auto box and no manual gears to change?

Would have thought they would be very similar in feel.

Just how much faster did it feel?

Massive or just because it had a auto box and no manual gears to change?

Would have thought they would be very similar in feel.

I would have said faster due to lack of gearchanges quicker but not by much and would have to be a dab hand with the paddles to really enjoy it (otherwise the gearbox would be a PTA.)

I would have said faster due to lack of gearchanges quicker but not by much and would have to be a dab hand with the paddles to really enjoy it (otherwise the gearbox would be a PTA.)

I would agree with that.

Did you find the gearbox didn't always do what you wanted or expected ??
I found it better using it like a manual as it only went into the gear you wanted with no auto change whatsoever.

Mark

I'm driving one this Friday so will let you all know what I think, the dethoughaler has both manual and DSG but unfortunately the manual is in roadster format so I will need my leather peaked cap and dog collar to complete the look, I hope I'm blown away otherwise I really don't know what to go for as my next car ??

Definetly not a Cayman for me, 2 seats, 2 expensive, ok interior.....................amazing noise though :)

The prodigal returns Lol how was your ring trip mate?

S3 you you know you want too :)

p

I would agree with that.

Did you find the gearbox didn't always do what you wanted or expected ??
I found it better using it like a manual as it only went into the gear you wanted with no auto change whatsoever.

Mark

didnt drive it far was more interested in the magnetic suspension than the gearbox.

The prodigal returns Lol how was your ring trip mate?

S3 you you know you want too :)

p

Ah, was wondering where you'd been Martin - been waiting for some comments from you on this thread!

Get another S3!!!!

I was under the impression the TTS and the new S3 has exactly the same engine and power output, therefore the only difference would be weight and gearbox that would effect the power of the car.

TT-S also runs the new CCTA FSI engine.. It has quite a few developments over the 'old' spec 2.0T FSI engine..

New stronger block, revised head, revised fuel pump system, chain driven cams, updated PCV, revised DV, new intake design etc etc etc..

I think the TT-S look stunning, but I would say that as soon as you put a decent spec on a car then you looking at around £40k which is a bit rich for a car which will be worth £30K or less after a year..

Jonny

TT-S also runs the new CCTA FSI engine.. It has quite a few developments over the 'old' spec 2.0T FSI engine..

New stronger block, revised head, revised fuel pump system, chain driven cams, updated PCV, revised DV, new intake design etc etc etc..

I think the TT-S look stunning, but I would say that as soon as you put a decent spec on a car then you looking at around £40k which is a bit rich for a car which will be worth £30K or less after a year..

Jonny

So the S3 and the TT-S engines are totally different despite the BHP being the same?

Its the revised engine, so in a way yes..

If you look over on the american forums there is lots of info on the new CCTA 2.0T FSI engine..

Its only going to be a positive thing IMO, VAG have just refined the engine to be more efficient and reliable..

Jonny

So potentially more tuning potential........

So the S3 and the TT-S engines are totally different despite the BHP being the same?

TT-S is 272bhp , but i don't think it will be the result of the " new " engaine , it'll be a slightly different Std map , or maybe even gained through the TT-S exhaust system.

Its the revised engine, so in a way yes..

If you look over on the american forums there is lots of info on the new CCTA 2.0T FSI engine..

Its only going to be a positive thing IMO, VAG have just refined the engine to be more efficient and reliable..

The " new " engaine is also on the Face lift S3 though isn't it?

p

So potentially more tuning potential........

Suppose it could mean that really yes, as far as I know it has the same hardware (turbo, downpipe etc) but it could have a better flowing head or anything like that..

Dont think that the ECU has been cracked yet and there isnt an intake available for the new intake design but im sure it wont take long for all that stuff..

Jonny

Dont know but it would make sense if it was really.. :D

At the garage yesterday I was led to believe the S3 had the same engine as the TTS, but I wasn't aware of any internal mods. I thought it could of just been a slightly different map.

I test drove a TT convertible when I was looking for my new company car and settled on an S3 in the end for a number of reasons.

1. The S3 looks better IMHO
2. The TT I drove was 2 litre turbo, flappy paddle and convertible. nice engine, hated the gearbox and the chassis was not anywhere like I expected. Lots of flex and softness in it, more a tourer than a sports car. really hated the handling to be honest, as soon as I started pushing it, it started to feel uncomfortable. never let go, but never gave any confidence.

On the plus side, a 205 GTi 1.9 blew its engine trying to keep up with it, which at least made me laugh....

Mark

:blackrs4: