Chris NottEM Tuning
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Bluefin

  1. #1
    2008 Phantom Black S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    159

    Bluefin

    Need a bit of advice regarding the Bluefin . Currently considering buying this but want to know if it's worth the 5oo bills it's priced at. Is the performance difference noticable? Will it affect my warranty or insurance?

    Ive never played around with any of my other cars before but this seems like a very simple piece of kit to use. Is it just as simple as plug it in and away you go with 310 odd break horses (after following the instructions)?

    Would ebay be an option for buying one of these or is that a no no?

    Any advice would be much appreciated lads,

    Cheers,

    Con

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    I have it on my S3 and absolutely love it - made a huge difference. Search "Bluefin" on the forums for various discussions on this.

    The beauty of it is you can uninstall it yourself at any time you wish. You can even keep the handset in your car so should you need to uninstall it at any time in an "emergency" and revert back to factory standard you can do it in approx 20 mins. Dead easy.

    you also get a 10% discount through this forum. Its a winner mate.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  4. #3
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    If your in no rush , i'd wait till the end of the month if i was you , were having our RR day and the BIG THREE will be going up against each other.

    + for Superchips/Bluefin

    User friendly
    Less chance of the dealer seeing it.
    Price

    - for superchips/Bluefin

    Some people couldn't really notice the difference
    Don't make the figures the other tuners make


    p

  5. #4
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    I have it and would recommend it definately. Yesterday I drove on the autobahn and just kept my foot on the floor, next thing I knew I was doing 169mph before I had to slow down for a junction. It did not struggle to get there either.

    If the weather is nice this weekend I'm going to do a top speed run.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  6. #5
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    I have it and would recommend it definately. Yesterday I drove on the autobahn and just kept my foot on the floor, next thing I knew I was doing 169mph before I had to slow down for a junction. It did not struggle to get there either.

    If the weather is nice this weekend I'm going to do a top speed run.
    Thats serious sweaty palm stuff!, Impressive, Ive heard 170mph quoted for a mapped S3. Would be interesting to see what a GPS device recorded.

  7. #6
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Con S3 View Post
    Need a bit of advice regarding the Bluefin . Currently considering buying this but want to know if it's worth the 5oo bills it's priced at. Is the performance difference noticable? Will it affect my warranty or insurance?

    Ive never played around with any of my other cars before but this seems like a very simple piece of kit to use. Is it just as simple as plug it in and away you go with 310 odd break horses (after following the instructions)?

    Would ebay be an option for buying one of these or is that a no no?

    Any advice would be much appreciated lads,

    Cheers,

    Con
    Ive done a lot of deliberating on this over the last few weeks, and based on the numerous threads Ive read, what Ive heard from the guys here, and a chat with the local Bluefin dealer (plus Superchips no quibble 7 day return policy) I will be going Bluefin.

    -Ive had REVO and its very good but very expensive.
    -GIAC sounds excellent too but Im 3hrs from my nearest dealer, and it more expensive than Bluefin.
    -I have 3 bluefin dealers on my doorstep, its good value, and SC are a long established and reputable outfit.

    Hope that helps.

    Good luck
    Paul

  8. #7
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Thats serious sweaty palm stuff!, Impressive, Ive heard 170mph quoted for a mapped S3. Would be interesting to see what a GPS device recorded.
    The thing is it wasn't scary at all! It didn't feel like we were going that fast.

    When I do it I'm taking the GPS and sat nav with me to try and get as much accuracy as possible.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  9. #8
    2008 Phantom Black S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    159
    Sound advice lads cheers.

    Is it going to effect my insurance or am i being niave that my insurance company even need to be informed

    500quid aint a bad price, but would any of you consider ebay for the purchase?

  10. #9
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Con S3 View Post
    Sound advice lads cheers.

    Is it going to effect my insurance or am i being niave that my insurance company even need to be informed

    500quid aint a bad price, but would any of you consider ebay for the purchase?
    Yes it will , but only if you tell them. ( i'm NOT telling you not to tell them , it's up to you )

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Ive done a lot of deliberating on this over the last few weeks, and based on the numerous threads Ive read, what Ive heard from the guys here, and a chat with the local Bluefin dealer (plus Superchips no quibble 7 day return policy) I will be going Bluefin.

    -Ive had REVO and its very good but very expensive.
    -GIAC sounds excellent too but Im 3hrs from my nearest dealer, and it more expensive than Bluefin.
    -I have 3 bluefin dealers on my doorstep, its good value, and SC are a long established and reputable outfit.

    Hope that helps.

    Good luck
    Paul
    Thats it mate , spot on .

    Superchips/Bluefin sounds like the best all round package , but come the RR day if Revo and GIAC are making 20bhp and 30lbft more , then the extra outlay and the fact there not quite as user friendly maybe worth it.

    If there all roughly the same bhp/lbft give or take a handful then Bluefin will be the no 1 choice.

    p

  11. #10
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    are any reps from the actual companies at RR day?? Or just a-s'ers with the mod??

  12. #11
    L60N
    Guest
    GIAC is no less user friendly than the BF map is it?

    You can get the map loader and everything all in for 575 for the 330 map

  13. #12
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    are any reps from the actual companies at RR day?? Or just a-s'ers with the mod??
    Well Prosport are a Revo dealer.

    p

  14. #13
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    Ahhhhh, I see.... so a concerted Revo push...

    Seeing as Staller are down the road from me, if I was gonna do owt it'd probably be with them and GIAC... so should be a good day! :D << hint hint for anyone not going yet!

  15. #14
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    GIAC is no less user friendly than the BF map is it?

    You can get the map loader and everything all in for 575 for the 330 map
    Theres not much in it TBH.

    With Bluefin everything can be done through email so you don't even have to go to a Superchips dealer!

    And there the only tuners that use YOUR OWN cars Std map , all the other tuners use THERE OWN Std map!

    p

  16. #15
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    Ahhhhh, I see.... so a concerted Revo push...

    Seeing as Staller are down the road from me, if I was gonna do owt it'd probably be with them and GIAC... so should be a good day! :D << hint hint for anyone not going yet!
    No , this RR day should give us the awnsers to a few questions

    1 - what BHP/LBFT Std cars make
    2 - Do ALL Std S3's make roughly the same
    3 - Which is the most powerful map to choose
    4 - Which maps do what IE Revo maybe all low down , Bluefin maybe all mid range , while GIAC maybe all top heavy.

    I can't wait!!!!!!!!

    p

  17. #16
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Theres not much in it TBH.

    With Bluefin everything can be done through email so you don't even have to go to a Superchips dealer!

    And there the only tuners that use YOUR OWN cars Std map , all the other tuners use THERE OWN Std map!

    p
    Hmm, i was under the impression your give out your chassis number to BF, then they dig out the relevant map for your vehicle/year/ECU etc. Theres nothing more personal than that. Its not like they RR your car, then tune it up for best results Its still very generic.

  18. #17
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    No , this RR day should give us the awnsers to a few questions

    1 - what BHP/LBFT Std cars make
    2 - Do ALL Std S3's make roughly the same
    3 - Which is the most powerful map to choose
    4 - Which maps do what IE Revo maybe all low down , Bluefin maybe all mid range , while GIAC maybe all top heavy.

    I can't wait!!!!!!!!

    p

    Hell yeah!!!

    I'm just being nagged to bring the little lad at the moment, wife clearly wants the morning off.

  19. #18
    L60N
    Guest
    Its got to be the map for me all day long.

    Sorry, i cant resist

  20. #19
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    I have it and would recommend it definately. Yesterday I drove on the autobahn and just kept my foot on the floor, next thing I knew I was doing 169mph before I had to slow down for a junction. It did not struggle to get there either.
    Now that's interesting - as I'll be on the autobahn with my Bluefinned S3 next weekend en route to the Ring !

    Does Bluefin remobve the 155mph limiter then ? Didn't know that . It gets better and better ! Will try to see 170mph on my digital speedo ......
    Last edited by Iggu; 13th June 2008 at 12:19.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  21. #20
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    Hmm, i was under the impression your give out your chassis number to BF, then they dig out the relevant map for your vehicle/year/ECU etc. Theres nothing more personal than that. Its not like they RR your car, then tune it up for best results Its still very generic.
    Thats correct.

    With Bluefin when you put it back to stock it's YOUR Std map that it left the factory with.

    With GIAC and Revo when you put it back to stock it's THERE Std 261bhp map, does this make sense? they overwrite your Std factory map!

    p

  22. #21
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    [

    Does Bluefin remobve the 155mph limiter then ? Didn't know that . It gets better and better ! Will try to see 170mph on my digital speedo ......
    Ive seen 173 on my digital speedo.. standard, confirmed with my friend sat right next to me but is it accurate? I'd use a tomtom if you want an accurate GPS speedo readout.

  23. #22
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    The thing is it wasn't scary at all! It didn't feel like we were going that fast.
    Three years ago I was topending my 3.2 A3 on the autobahn (my first time on the autobahn) and got it to 150mph. Thought it was pretty scary until an AMG Mercedes saloon went past at about 190mph with three kids waving at me out of the back window. 170mph is just a daily drive for our German friends.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  24. #23
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Now that's interesting - as I'll be on the autobahn with my Bluefinned S3 next weekend en route to the Ring !

    Does Bluefin remobve the 155mph limiter then ? Didn't know that . It gets better and better ! Will try to see 170mph on my digital speedo ......
    I don't think it's limited at all! Just like my friends R32, 165mph.

    I don't see many cars going above 150 tbh. In fact on a drive to Bavaria last week there was a 5 series that went rocketing past and that was about it. Most seem to cruise at 120/130.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  25. #24
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    I don't think it's limited at all! Just like my friends R32, 165mph.

    I don't see many cars going above 150 tbh. In fact on a drive to Bavaria last week there was a 5 series that went rocketing past and that was about it. Most seem to cruise at 120/130.
    True. And perfectly safe it all feels too - even on two lane autobahns. Then you get back to Blighty and get a ticket for doing 82mph on a clear stretch of three lane M6.

    Rant rant rant
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  26. #25
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    True. And perfectly safe it all feels too - even on two lane autobahns. Then you get back to Blighty and get a ticket for doing 82mph on a clear stretch of three lane M6.

    Rant rant rant
    You can get 82mph on britsh motorways? Lucky sod, round here we get between 2-48mph

  27. #26
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    You can get 82mph on britsh motorways? Lucky sod, round here we get between 2-48mph
    Yeah but those Yorkshire Moors roads more than make up for it I bet. The road from Pickering to Whitby is mindblowing.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  28. #27
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    103
    I wouldnt buy from eBay - get the proper thing then you're covered with the Superchips warranty and support - if need be. I'm pleased with mine - quite noticable performance improvement (not as extreme as the Revo on my last 8L though). I am getting an error code about fuel pressure though - not sure if thats related. Its so easy - order online, arrives, plug it in to car, plug it into PC, wait for email back, back into car etc and away to go - was about a day after it arrived and up and running. Dead easy - didnt have to leave the house and I was remapped !

    And as others say - it keeps your original map. And I'm also told it leaves the ECU flash counter intact - Revo doesnt do either of those - not sure about the others.

  29. #28
    S3-N's Avatar
    ?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    263
    Over on the TT-forum there's a bunch of people that reckon there are 2 flash counters on the ECUs of the 2.0T FSI engines, 1 you can reset 1 you can't.

    don't know either way myself but would be nice to know for certain
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

  30. #29
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Interesting.
    Has anyone heard of a dealer `rumbling` an owner with a remapped car and disputing a warranty claim.

    Think Ive mentioned on here before but I had my REVO`d Mk5 Gti in for servicing and various warranty work (including new Dual mass flywheel and clutch!) and not a peep from the dealer.
    Whether they didnt care or didnt realise it just wasnt a problem.

    And if you buy used, how can a dealer prove it was a you that remapped the car? Its a mine field for the dealer and probably something they are happy to turn a blind eye to.

    That said, Im keen on Bluefin because of the switchability and piece of mind all the same.

    cheers
    Paull

  31. #30
    S3-N's Avatar
    ?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    263
    i've never read anything on someone having there warranty officially voided due to a remap on any forum. I've also had warranty work done on mine and they clearly didn't check the flash counter. I don't reckon they do as a matter of course, only when they really want to get out of paying for something
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

  32. #31
    jamiekip
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Yeah but those Yorkshire Moors roads more than make up for it I bet. The road from Pickering to Whitby is mindblowing.
    I'll second that - my parents live close to there and it's great to hit the moor roads - once saw Evo mag shooting an article up there - Red F40 and Veyron - I nearly crashed when I saw them!!!

  33. #32
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by S3-Nick View Post
    i've never read anything on someone having there warranty officially voided due to a remap on any forum. I've also had warranty work done on mine and they clearly didn't check the flash counter. I don't reckon they do as a matter of course, only when they really want to get out of paying for something
    Cant see why a dealer would be motivated to check neither. Warranty claims are claimed back through through AUDI anyway. This keeps the dealers workshop busy!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO