JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 169
  1. #81
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    I guess that depends on if you are after the fastest hatch out there or after something else?
    I guess that depends on whether you measure "fastest" using numbers (bhp and lb/ft) or how quickly it will actually go when you drive it.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #82
    Marcyboy's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    114

    My Social Networking

    Visit Marcyboy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    I'm no Jason Plato but I've "eaten" STs and old style Focus RS's on numerous track days (Anglesey, Silverstone, Oulton Park, Cadwell) in my S3. Don't think this is at all true. And I'm not trying to big myself up here - it was the car (rather than my average skill level) which was the reason.
    But then again 265bhp standard re-mapped with Bluefin... it is bound to eat a std 223bhp ST - if the owner wasnt fortunate enough to be blessed with Code red or Dreamscience. So Its no much wonder.

    It's a valid argument - that the ST does pack some punch once remapped. The power has been taken down a lot standard ... and for an extra few hundred quid - the dreamscience makes all the difference.

    OK its not 4wd like the audi - but compared to even my Diesel A3 170 - which was Exceptionally tail happy.... I would choose the Focus again and again...

    It might not be the nicest looking car - but after the lemon of a car I had from Audi... I'd never have another A3 again!!

    I guess it lays down to the fact of everyone's individual taste...

    The thought between focus ST owners is why bother upgrading to an RS.... IF it is indeed going to even happen.... a couple of hundred pounds buys you what the RS is forecasted to be 280bhp.... In general every day drive!!! What is the point???

  4. #83
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcyboy View Post
    But then again 265bhp standard re-mapped with Bluefin... it is bound to eat a std 223bhp ST - if the owner wasnt fortunate enough to be blessed with Code red or Dreamscience. So Its no much wonder.
    This was before my Bluefin - but fair point. Standard 265bhp v 223bhp. However (see my comments at the very start of the thread) standard Golf GTis with 197bhp were "eating" the STs too - because they handle better due to lower power/load going through the steering wheels.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  5. #84
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sohrob View Post
    Who was comparing mapped cars to standard?

    [quote=Marcyboy;560612]I can confirm, my last car was a Focus ST-2, with Dreamscience Race + re-map. Car was dyno'd at 271.3 bhp. Which is a damn bit more than the prescribed 223 bhp which comes from factory!!!

    After all my audi troubles - I have gone back to Ford again - and have ordered a ST-3 this time, and will be doing exactly same portable mod to the Ford again. It would easily Eat a standard S3, there is no reason for it not to! quote]

  6. #85
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    The new RS should be 4WD and fettled by Cosworth (+300BHP). I'd buy one of them for sure. It's just a shame Ford seem to be skint!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  7. #86
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    This was before my Bluefin - but fair point. Standard 265bhp v 223bhp. However (see my comments at the very start of the thread) standard Golf GTis with 197bhp were "eating" the STs too - because they handle better due to lower power/load going through the steering wheels.
    Its not due to them having lower power its simply that they have a better chassis, the ed30 doesnt handle worse than the std gti just because it has more power.

    From what i have heard ford have made some serious changes to the rs so it should handle better.

  8. #87
    L60N
    Guest
    I thought Fords handle pretty well from my experience with some of the newer models.

  9. #88
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    349
    in general they do but compared to the st's competitors it is a bit soft and lardy.

  10. #89
    L60N
    Guest
    I was very impressed by the way the Mondeo handled for a barge. And the new Focus was pretty stiff too, mind you, it was barely worn in.

  11. #90
    siu00adg's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    995
    A few weeks ago I was on the way back from a caneo trip in wales with 3 big lads and myself + all our camping gear in the car, when we had an encounter with an Orange ST in Bracknell (possibly chipped, it had stickers (for his forum I think) and very dark tints). It was just him in his car and basically, he got served!

    Also, as for handling, I can't say too much on here, but around a roundabout the S3 showed the ST up (ESP off)

    To be fair, if his car was stock, he wouldn't stand a chance against Hammer Time!

  12. #91
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    I guess that depends on whether you measure "fastest" using numbers (bhp and lb/ft) or how quickly it will actually go when you drive it.
    I guess depends on if you mean a 1/4 mile drag or round a track,

    At the end of the day, I couldn't really give a toss, I drive a diesle so everything is faster but its fun watching everyone else get hot and bothered that some jumped up ford may beat their Audi

  13. #92
    L60N
    Guest
    haha, nice Alex

    I forgot to mention. On the way back up from Luton a few weeks ago a red Renault Megane trophy sport F1 le mans 24 R26 with chequered flag on bumper came hooning past. (lol)

    I had 4 in the car including me, but thought what the hey....basically he got served

    Infact, he got served multiple times, everytime I pulled over far in front and letting off he came past time and again

    Eventually he came to his junction and gave me a few flashes of the headlights as he pulled off
    Last edited by L60N; 16th June 2008 at 13:20.

  14. #93
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    Last edited by mitch78; 15th March 2009 at 23:36.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  15. #94
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    I know, a lot of 20 yr old jumped up Fords will beat most Audis on here. There are plenty of 5-600 bhp Sierra Cosworths knocking about and their handling isn't all that bad either.
    ?!!!

    Fair comparisson there

  16. #95
    L60N
    Guest
    The stuff of dreams:


  17. #96
    siu00adg's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    haha, nice Alex

    I forgot to mention. On the way back up from Luton a few weeks ago a red Renault Megane trophy sport F1 le mans 24 R26 with chequered flag on bumper came hooning past. (lol)

    I had 4 in the car including me, but thought what the hey....basically he got served

    Infact, he got served multiple times, everytime I pulled over far in front and letting off he came past time and again

    Eventually he came to his junction and gave me a few flashes of the headlights as he pulled off

  18. #97
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    I not sure the new RS will be a rival for the S3 at all ?
    Its too different, it will be cheaper and FWD for a start.

    Im sure it will be a good car and whether it is quicker on the road/track/drag strip remains to be seen. To say so is pure speculation and if is was, I still wouldnt be enough to attract me.

    For the price of an S3 you can buy a faster more exiting car in an EVO/Sti but thats not the only reason you buy an S3.

    I cant imagine many S3 owers trading in their S3 for one, its more likey to tempt Golf, R26, VXR, Type R drivers to spend a bit more money than S3 drivers to look to save money on the next car change.

    Its an uber Focus not a cheaper S3 alternative.

    cheers
    Paul

  19. #98
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    Last edited by mitch78; 15th March 2009 at 23:37.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  20. #99
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    I guess depends on if you mean a 1/4 mile drag or round a track,

    At the end of the day, I couldn't really give a toss, I drive a diesle so everything is faster but its fun watching everyone else get hot and bothered that some jumped up ford may beat their Audi
    Anyone hot or bothered out there ?
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  21. #100
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    nope

  22. #101
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    Last edited by mitch78; 15th March 2009 at 23:35.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  23. #102
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcyboy View Post
    I can confirm, my last car was a Focus ST-2, with Dreamscience Race + re-map. Car was dyno'd at 271.3 bhp. Which is a damn bit more than the prescribed 223 bhp which comes from factory!!!

    After all my audi troubles - I have gone back to Ford again - and have ordered a ST-3 this time, and will be doing exactly same portable mod to the Ford again. It would easily Eat a standard S3, there is no reason for it not to! Just because it is FWD, it is the best handling FWD Car in its class.... There has to be a reason ford haven't ported there 4wd chassis across from the Kuga.
    Sorry, but you are very wrong.

    I had a track day recently in my standard S3 against an ST, remapped with Dreamscience, and an R32 (interstingly enough). The S3 was similar on the straights to both cars, bascically ST > S3 > R32, but for lap times is was certainly S3 > R32 > ST, with a HUGE difference between the S3 and the other cars. For those who are intersted the track was Llandlow and I was several seconds a lap quicker, which on a small track is a lot of time...

    Anyway, comparing an RS to the S3, both great cars imho. I am sure the RS will be a cracker, but it's not my type of car, I wanted something with a better quality interior, which is why I paid (over the odds imho) for the S3.

  24. #103
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    I'm no Jason Plato but I've "eaten" STs and old style Focus RS's on numerous track days (Anglesey, Silverstone, Oulton Park, Cadwell) in my S3. Don't think this is at all true. And I'm not trying to big myself up here - it was the car (rather than my average skill level) which was the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Anyone hot or bothered out there ?
    Maybe not hot and bothered but you clearly feel you have a point to prove, which I find quite amusing to be honest

  25. #104
    lil_coz's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,636
    I say wait till the Stig get hold of both and puts them round a track. Its unfair to say on track days because driver talet comes into it and that is a HUGE variable!
    Coss

    S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap


  26. #105
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    Maybe not hot and bothered but you clearly feel you have a point to prove, which I find quite amusing to be honest
    Why's it amusing? I took it as just another point of view, isnt that what this place is about?

    Man lets stick to the thread for once?

  27. #106
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    ^^^^^Thats it , WE have already got a fantastic car in the S3 , it's a all weather everyday car , be it on track , on the M/Way , or on a B-roads.

    The only thing that can be said is it's not the most involing drive out there , the S3 is the " bigger picture " if i wanted out and out handling/fun i would have bought a Exige or something.

    The S3 is not a shabby handling car , if it can lap a track 1 second faster than a R26 with it's sorted chassis/LSD/Brembo 4 pots in the hands of a decent drivers it must be pretty good.

    Yes it's got 30bhp more than the Megane , but it's also got 200KG more weight.

    p

  28. #107
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_coz View Post
    I say wait till the Stig get hold of both and puts them round a track. Its unfair to say on track days because driver talet comes into it and that is a HUGE variable!
    Absolutely, and to be honest that's probably one of the few ways of sorting it out

    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    Why's it amusing? I took it as just another point of view, isnt that what this place is about?

    Man lets stick to the thread for once?

    The reason I find it amusing is that people will find any excuse to theorise why a car not yet released will be worse/better than a car they own, a view that will clearly be one sided.

    From comments such as "200bhp in a FWD car is the max tyres can handle" through to "My S3 trounced a xxx on a track day" are pretty worthless unless you have some fixed variables (same drivers, same weather conditions etc)

    for what its worth, I would choose an S3 over any ford but again I guess that's not the point

    Oh and my A3 diesel annihilated a Gallardo the other day.......

  29. #108
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread...mainly because i can guess what the general content will be... Ford Vs. Audi and the usual value for money *****ing...

    But all i'll say is that had this been a proper RS car in the mould of the true RS cars of the past, with full time 4WD etc and a real rallying pedigree i'd be quite interested to have a drive. I'd imagine it'd be terrific.
    However, seeing as it's full time FWD only i have no real interest. I don't care how fast it is in a straight line on dry tarmac.
    I think people should be comparing this as a direct competitor to the Astra VXR....Not an S3. Different kettle of fish in my opinion.

    Oh and i admit to being a bit of a badge snob. I like my german engineered cars, the general feel of prestige so again i'm not really interested.

    Like i say... Shame it's not going to continue the RS rally pedigree. Could have been a real Impreza/Evo killer.

    Paul.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  30. #109
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    From comments such as "200bhp in a FWD car is the max tyres can handle" through to "My S3 trounced a xxx on a track day" are pretty worthless unless you have some fixed variables (same drivers, same weather conditions etc)

    for what its worth, I would choose an S3 over any ford but again I guess that's not the point

    Oh and my A3 diesel annihilated a Gallardo the other day.......
    True, I was merely responding to a comment saying that a modded ST would eat an S3. But I accept your point, I was actually overtaken by a Mercedes A140 around the 'ring, which I assume was down to my lack of talent rather than poor handling characteristics of the car.

    As others have said, I think we are all happy with our choices in the S3, as I am sure members of an ST forum are happy with their choices. It all comes down to personal preference and what you want in a car.

    Anyway, I look forward to the RS coming out as I LOVE performance cars, especially hot hatches, and am interested to see what it'll be like!

  31. #110
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    The reason I find it amusing is that people will find any excuse to theorise why a car not yet released will be worse/better than a car they own, a view that will clearly be one sided.
    Isnt that the topic of the thread? Or would it be more acceptable if we all sat quietly for you and refused to comment? Clearly any topic about the A3/S3 vs anything else in here is going to be slightly one sided, this is afterall an Audi Forum, weve been here bofre but you refuse to accept this simple fact. If I owned a Ford and didnt really rate Audi, I sure as **** wouldnt be wasting my time in here. *Groan*

    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    From comments such as "200bhp in a FWD car is the max tyres can handle" through to "My S3 trounced a xxx on a track day" are pretty worthless unless you have some fixed variables (same drivers, same weather conditions etc)
    Its not worthless, its peoples experiences; they took the time to write here, and I for one dont think its worthless.

    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    for what its worth, I would choose an S3 over any ford but again I guess that's not the point
    Im not sure, its your opinion, your welcome to air it. BTW, tell us what IS the point if you know???

    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    Oh and my A3 diesel annihilated a Gallardo the other day.......
    Should I laugh or call you a dick??

  32. #111
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    Isnt that the topic of the thread? Or would it be more acceptable if we all sat quietly for you and refused to comment? Clearly any topic about the A3/S3 vs anything else in here is going to be slightly one sided, this is afterall an Audi Forum, weve been here bofre but you refuse to accept this simple fact. If I owned a Ford and didnt really rate Audi, I sure as **** wouldnt be wasting my time in here. *Groan*

    Its not worthless, its peoples experiences; they took the time to write here, and I for one dont think its worthless.
    Im not sure, its your opinion, your welcome to air it. BTW, tell us what IS the point if you know???
    Should I laugh or call you a dick??
    Nice rant, having a bad day?

    what? what do I refuse to accept?

    Call me what you like, I really coudn't give a toss

  33. #112
    L60N
    Guest
    Nah, im having a good day, sun is shining, thinking about having a BBQ later

    I'll concede that we dont share the same opinion on anything at all.

  34. #113
    consilio's Avatar
    Up the owls!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    659
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

    SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

  35. #114
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_d View Post
    Anyway, I look forward to the RS coming out as I LOVE performance cars, especially hot hatches, and am interested to see what it'll be like!
    I guess we should all welcome new hot hatches or in fact any form of perofrmance cars coming out - the world would be a very dull place without

  36. #115
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    Nah, im having a good day, sun is shining, thinking about having a BBQ later

    I'll concede that we dont share the same opinion on anything at all.
    Oh I'm sure there are somethings...........

  37. #116
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Wouldn't mind a BBQ later myself actually....
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  38. #117
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    I guess we should all welcome new hot hatches or in fact any form of perofrmance cars coming out
    Why should we ? Because you say so ? I'll not be welcoming the release of "every performance car coming out" because I try to be discerning about these things.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  39. #118
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Why should we ? Because you say so ? I'll not be welcoming the release of "every performance car coming out" because I try to be discerning about these things.
    LoL, you read my mind!

  40. #119
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Why should we ? Because you say so ? I'll not be welcoming the release of "every performance car coming out" because I try to be discerning about these things.
    This is the thing isn't it... How much extra research have ford actually put into this car? If they'd developed a new 4WD linkage, slip dif etc i'd be very impressed. If however it's just another wildly overpowered front wheel drive car i can't say i'm exactly counting down the days til it's release!
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  41. #120
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Why should we ? Because you say so ? I'll not be welcoming the release of "every performance car coming out" because I try to be discerning about these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    LoL, you read my mind!


    Get a room

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO