Hatch/Sportback Special edition standard stereo

willnabby

RS-one day soon!!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Special edition? M/Y 07 ( not that special, just base + air con) what I want to know does it come with a chorus or concert stereo as standard, mine came with a concert with 4 speakers and a sub in the boot, but I was reading a brochure for the A3 cab and the standard has only the chorus and two speakers, did mine get the wrong Unit?

No I don't think so. I think you will find that Audi have changed the spec for the 2009 MY and the A3 Cabriolets are built to that spec. I have a March 2007 SE Sportback and mine would have had a Concert radio, but I upgraded to the Symphony to get the internal 6 CD changer.

I believe the Symphony upgrade also gets you a better speaker system. When I ordered both my A3s the options list said "Symphony Radio with 10 Speakers". I could only ever find 8 of them and two technicians I spoke to could also only find eight of them. One of them even printed out the wiring diagram and it only had 8.

I believe the Symphony upgrade also gets you a better speaker system. When I ordered both my A3s the options list said "Symphony Radio with 10 Speakers". I could only ever find 8 of them and two technicians I spoke to could also only find eight of them. One of them even printed out the wiring diagram and it only had 8.

Perhaps the other two are the driver and passenger!!!

The current brochure gives the same description for both Concert and Symphony apart from the 6-CD changer and just says 'active front and rear speakers'

Not sure on spec, but just thought you should know there's nothing 'special edition' about an SE.

My colleague's special edition has a 'chorus' stereo (08 reg)
I just listened to it, only the front sets of speakers work.
No sound in the back at all.
I also note is has more adjustment (midrange) than the headunit did in my Bose equipped S-line....

Not sure on spec, but just thought you should know there's nothing 'special edition' about an SE.

Up until the recent changes for the new facelift models the SE spec included
17"-20spoke alloys
Auto-Dimming rear view mirror
Concert III stereo with active front and rear speakers
Cruise control
Electronic climate control
Front centre armrest
4-spoke leather steering wheel
Interior light pack
Light and rain sensor pack
Storage pack
Vavona wood inlays.

This was in addition to the equipment in the Standard A3 and it cost £2000.

With the new facelift models the SE spec has been reduced to
4-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel
Front fog lights
16" alloy wheels
DIS
Manual air-conditioning
Rear floor mats

again in addition to the standard A3 and the price has been reduced to £650.

If you take the new SE spec and add back all the items missing from the old spec the price comes out around the same.

ok, so you quoted me on not knowing the spec differences, but it's still not a special edition.

ok, so you quoted me on not knowing the spec differences, but it's still not a special edition.

Correct.
The confusion is understandable though.
Easy to confuse 'Special edition' with 'SE'.
The Special edition is basically a base model, with added manual aircon.
Only available with 1.6 petrol or 1.9tdi engine.
A bit better than catching the bus, but with far less chance of pulling.

Correct.
That is correct, I actually really like mine and that was the only choice on my lease budget , so as your collegue has the chorus & 2 speakers it seems they have for some reason put in the SE spec head unit 6 speaker combo in my car?

That is correct, I actually really like mine and that was the only choice on my lease budget , so as your collegue has the chorus & 2 speakers it seems they have for some reason put in the SE spec head unit 6 speaker combo in my car?

Looks like it, lucky you! :salute:
FWIW, I think he must have four speakers.
I think he has 2 x door speakers, then 2 x tweeters in the A pillars.
Unless the tweeters aren't wired, in which case you're right!

Correct.
Only available with 1.6 petrol or 1.9tdi engine.
A bit better than catching the bus, but with far less chance of pulling.

I agree. Great confusion between 'special edition' and SE. I think the original idea of SE was for 'special equipment'. It's only Audi UK that use the SE and Sport designations. BMW also use SE for quite a few of their models and I think they mean 'special equipment' as well.

talking about speakers...

What spec/head unit combo do you need before you get the central front speaker? What is the 'order of preference' on head units?

How many speakers are there, as I reckon mine has 2 rear, sub, 2 front, 2 front tweeters, front centre - that's 8. I have the Chorus 2 HU.

The order of head units is Chorus, Concert, Symphony and the RNS-E sat /nav unit. As far as speakers are concerned anything from the Concert upwards has 10 active speakers. a Sub/amplifier setup in the luggage compartment, a mid range and a trebble in the rear doors on a 5-door and in the rear side panels on a 3-door. A mid-range in the front doors, a trebble in the A-pillar, and one that is just described (in ETKA) as a loudspeaker in the top centre of the dash.

The BOSE system has different speakers to the standard but in the same locations as far as I know.

The Chorus III has a single CD player with passive speakers.
The Concert III has a single CD player with active front and rear speakers.
The Symphony III has an integrated 6 CD changer with active front and rear speakers.

The order of head units is Chorus, Concert, Symphony and the RNS-E sat /nav unit. As far as speakers are concerned anything from the Concert upwards has 10 active speakers. a Sub/amplifier setup in the luggage compartment, a mid range and a trebble in the rear doors on a 5-door and in the rear side panels on a 3-door. A mid-range in the front doors, a trebble in the A-pillar, and one that is just described (in ETKA) as a loudspeaker in the top centre of the dash.

The BOSE system has different speakers to the standard but in the same locations as far as I know.

The Chorus III has a single CD player with passive speakers.
The Concert III has a single CD player with active front and rear speakers.
The Symphony III has an integrated 6 CD changer with active front and rear speakers.

Looks like that explains where my 10 speakers are. Interesting that two Audi Techs could only find 8 of them though!