Chris NottAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    willnabby's Avatar
    RS-one day soon!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    593

    Hatch/Sportback Special edition standard stereo

    Does anyone have a Special edition? M/Y 07 ( not that special, just base + air con) what I want to know does it come with a chorus or concert stereo as standard, mine came with a concert with 4 speakers and a sub in the boot, but I was reading a brochure for the A3 cab and the standard has only the chorus and two speakers, did mine get the wrong Unit?
    Last edited by willnabby; 12th June 2008 at 20:05.
    Martin.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    No I don't think so. I think you will find that Audi have changed the spec for the 2009 MY and the A3 Cabriolets are built to that spec. I have a March 2007 SE Sportback and mine would have had a Concert radio, but I upgraded to the Symphony to get the internal 6 CD changer.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  4. #3
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,538
    I believe the Symphony upgrade also gets you a better speaker system. When I ordered both my A3s the options list said "Symphony Radio with 10 Speakers". I could only ever find 8 of them and two technicians I spoke to could also only find eight of them. One of them even printed out the wiring diagram and it only had 8.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan View Post
    I believe the Symphony upgrade also gets you a better speaker system. When I ordered both my A3s the options list said "Symphony Radio with 10 Speakers". I could only ever find 8 of them and two technicians I spoke to could also only find eight of them. One of them even printed out the wiring diagram and it only had 8.
    Perhaps the other two are the driver and passenger!!!

    The current brochure gives the same description for both Concert and Symphony apart from the 6-CD changer and just says 'active front and rear speakers'
    Last edited by h5djr; 13th June 2008 at 09:51.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  6. #5
    Teejay's Avatar
    Mellow Yellow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    303
    Not sure on spec, but just thought you should know there's nothing 'special edition' about an SE.

  7. #6
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    My colleague's special edition has a 'chorus' stereo (08 reg)
    I just listened to it, only the front sets of speakers work.
    No sound in the back at all.
    I also note is has more adjustment (midrange) than the headunit did in my Bose equipped S-line....
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    Not sure on spec, but just thought you should know there's nothing 'special edition' about an SE.
    Up until the recent changes for the new facelift models the SE spec included
    17"-20spoke alloys
    Auto-Dimming rear view mirror
    Concert III stereo with active front and rear speakers
    Cruise control
    Electronic climate control
    Front centre armrest
    4-spoke leather steering wheel
    Interior light pack
    Light and rain sensor pack
    Storage pack
    Vavona wood inlays.

    This was in addition to the equipment in the Standard A3 and it cost 2000.

    With the new facelift models the SE spec has been reduced to
    4-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel
    Front fog lights
    16" alloy wheels
    DIS
    Manual air-conditioning
    Rear floor mats

    again in addition to the standard A3 and the price has been reduced to 650.

    If you take the new SE spec and add back all the items missing from the old spec the price comes out around the same.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  9. #8
    Teejay's Avatar
    Mellow Yellow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    303
    ok, so you quoted me on not knowing the spec differences, but it's still not a special edition.

  10. #9
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    ok, so you quoted me on not knowing the spec differences, but it's still not a special edition.
    Correct.
    The confusion is understandable though.
    Easy to confuse 'Special edition' with 'SE'.
    The Special edition is basically a base model, with added manual aircon.
    Only available with 1.6 petrol or 1.9tdi engine.
    A bit better than catching the bus, but with far less chance of pulling.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  11. #10
    willnabby's Avatar
    RS-one day soon!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Correct.
    The confusion is understandable though.
    Easy to confuse 'Special edition' with 'SE'.
    The Special edition is basically a base model, with added manual aircon.
    That is correct, I actually really like mine and that was the only choice on my lease budget , so as your collegue has the chorus & 2 speakers it seems they have for some reason put in the SE spec head unit 6 speaker combo in my car?
    Last edited by willnabby; 13th June 2008 at 16:25.
    Martin.

  12. #11
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by willnabby View Post
    That is correct, I actually really like mine and that was the only choice on my lease budget , so as your collegue has the chorus & 2 speakers it seems they have for some reason put in the SE spec head unit 6 speaker combo in my car?
    Looks like it, lucky you!
    FWIW, I think he must have four speakers.
    I think he has 2 x door speakers, then 2 x tweeters in the A pillars.
    Unless the tweeters aren't wired, in which case you're right!
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Correct.
    The confusion is understandable though.
    Easy to confuse 'Special edition' with 'SE'.
    The Special edition is basically a base model, with added manual aircon.
    Only available with 1.6 petrol or 1.9tdi engine.
    A bit better than catching the bus, but with far less chance of pulling.
    I agree. Great confusion between 'special edition' and SE. I think the original idea of SE was for 'special equipment'. It's only Audi UK that use the SE and Sport designations. BMW also use SE for quite a few of their models and I think they mean 'special equipment' as well.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  14. #13
    Teejay's Avatar
    Mellow Yellow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    303
    talking about speakers...

    What spec/head unit combo do you need before you get the central front speaker? What is the 'order of preference' on head units?

    How many speakers are there, as I reckon mine has 2 rear, sub, 2 front, 2 front tweeters, front centre - that's 8. I have the Chorus 2 HU.

  15. #14
    The order of head units is Chorus, Concert, Symphony and the RNS-E sat /nav unit. As far as speakers are concerned anything from the Concert upwards has 10 active speakers. a Sub/amplifier setup in the luggage compartment, a mid range and a trebble in the rear doors on a 5-door and in the rear side panels on a 3-door. A mid-range in the front doors, a trebble in the A-pillar, and one that is just described (in ETKA) as a loudspeaker in the top centre of the dash.

    The BOSE system has different speakers to the standard but in the same locations as far as I know.

    The Chorus III has a single CD player with passive speakers.
    The Concert III has a single CD player with active front and rear speakers.
    The Symphony III has an integrated 6 CD changer with active front and rear speakers.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,538
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    The order of head units is Chorus, Concert, Symphony and the RNS-E sat /nav unit. As far as speakers are concerned anything from the Concert upwards has 10 active speakers. a Sub/amplifier setup in the luggage compartment, a mid range and a trebble in the rear doors on a 5-door and in the rear side panels on a 3-door. A mid-range in the front doors, a trebble in the A-pillar, and one that is just described (in ETKA) as a loudspeaker in the top centre of the dash.

    The BOSE system has different speakers to the standard but in the same locations as far as I know.

    The Chorus III has a single CD player with passive speakers.
    The Concert III has a single CD player with active front and rear speakers.
    The Symphony III has an integrated 6 CD changer with active front and rear speakers.
    Looks like that explains where my 10 speakers are. Interesting that two Audi Techs could only find 8 of them though!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO