Bluetooth Phone Prep & TomTom

MacrosTheBlack

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Has anyone been able to sync their TomTom SatNav up with the Audi Bluetooth to play it's audio via the car speakers?

My TomTom Go720 has an option to output audio via a "bluetooth hifi". Had a quick attempt last night with no success. Will give it a proper go tonight as I know the bluetooth discover mode on the Audi only lasts for a minute or 2 after ignition on.

Dont think this will work mate. The bluetooth is linked directly to the phone prep. In order to be used, it needs to talk to a mobile phone

In my car, using my satnav (Garmin nuvi 760), you can use the car speakers.
You connect your phone to the satnav by bluetooth, then you use the satnav's FM transmitter to connect to a spare FM channel on the radio.
So the bluetooth functions are effectively transmitted to the car speakers.
Maybe you can do this too?

does the Audi BT carkit prep connect to all speakers? I thought it was front only?

My TomTom Go720 has an option to output audio via a "bluetooth hifi".
That uses a Bluetooth feature called A2DP - which the Audi phone kit doesn't support.

There might be a way to do it though ... connect an A2DP Bluetooth adapter to the Aux In on the Audi radio/sat nav. Then when you select Aux In you'll be listening to the audio sent via Bluetooth.

does the Audi BT carkit prep connect to all speakers? I thought it was front only?
It connects to the special phone input on the radio/sat nav - which only routes audio to the front speakers, and even worse is mono not stereo!

It connects to the special phone input on the radio/sat nav - which only routes audio to the front speakers, and even worse is mono not stereo!

thought so, as you say, its not A2DP so it couldn't be stereo :)

Thanks for the advice guys. And yes, I can confirm the sat nav won't connect to the bluetooth prep. Took Bowfers advice (many thanks) and connected via the FM transmitter and then the phones free to connect via bluetooth prep in the standard way. Could also use a 3.5" jack and connect the sat nav to the aux in, as my TomTom has a line out. But that would mean having a wire trailing across the dash to the centre console so not keen. It's bad enough having to trail the sat nav charger cable across that way when the battery's low.

Thanks again for all the advice and info :thumbsup: