EM TuningChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

A3 cab trounces BM

Autocar - had a quick flick through yesterday: A3 Cab vs. 1 series cab. A3 is faster, better looking, cheaper, HANDLES BETTER and easily as well built according to mag....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    I've got a copy of CAR magazine from earlier this year which compares the two...

They say the BMW engine is better, sounds better and is smoother. Overall, technically the better performer. The BMW is also rear wheel drive so more of a 'drivers car' in their opinion.
    The A3 is better looking, more stylish, better cabin, generally the 'nicer' motor.
    Their main criticism of the A3 cab is that it is not available in quattro form....CAR magazine say 'quattro' is often Audi's saving grace and trump card against BMW so without it, the A3 cab is a little ordinary.

To clarify... The Audi is the nicer car to own and miles ahead style wise but as a rewarding drivers car it's the BMW all the way.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    The audi website has the A3 as the better car all-round, but the BMW website has the BMW as the better car all-round.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Status
    Horses for courses. I think the 1 series looks nicer but the a3 pip's it with the interior but I prefer the BM seats... I'd buy neither though.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    If I were driving a convertible, I'd want to know which one handled best.
    Because I'd want to get where I was going as quickly as bloody possible....
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    If I were driving a convertible, I'd want to know which one handled best.
    Because I'd want to get where I was going as quickly as bloody possible....
    Under cover of darkness

S3 (8P)

Status
    Both come with curling tongs and Westlife CD ....probably

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
    Horses for courses. I think the 1 series looks nicer but the a3 pip's it with the interior but I prefer the BM seats... I'd buy neither though.

J.
    CAR magazine actually agree with you. Both are great cars in their own right BUT neither of them actually feel like complete cars.
    They conclude that you should try to push the boat out and get a 135i convertible if possible.
    Personally i'd say if you have a penis, get a tin top anyway.

For Sale:

5th Gear

Status
    Based on looks (because thats what the people that buy these cars are interested in really) the A3 is the nicer one of the 2. The 1 series is one of the worst looking cars around and I dont think taking the roof off has helped.

But I'd be wanting an A4 or Alfa Spider over the A3 or the 1 series.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

6th Gear

Status
    Based on looks (because thats what the people that buy these cars are interested in really) the 1er is the nicer one of the 2. The audi is one of the worst looking cars around and I dont think taking the roof off has helped.

<< that last bit doesnt really work but you know what Im getting at!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Based on looks (because thats what the people that buy these cars are interested in really) the A3 is the nicer one of the 2. The 1 series is one of the worst looking cars around and I dont think taking the roof off has helped.

But I'd be wanting an A4 or Alfa Spider over the A3 or the 1 series.
    Amen, to the spider.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Status
    To be honest.... Lightly used 3.0si Z4 or Porsche Boxster (insurance permitting) would top my list.
    A4 cab is just a bit dull for me. Doesn't inspire the driver to push on and have fun at all. I just don't seem to get on with Alfas, they don't really do it for me. Bit too quirky.

Mercedes SLK 320 is a great motor, not to mention the SLK 55.... bit pricey thought...and girly.

For Sale:

6th Gear

Status
    .... but we digress.

?

Status
    The 135i with the msport kit looks really good and much better in the flesh, all the angles don't come out right in photos. It's a great engine and with the twin turbo has some tuning potential.
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

Status
    I think the 1 series coupe is really colour dependant. In black and M-sport trim I like it.

J.

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

S3 (8P)

Status
    As above, if you dont need 4 seats, then there are loads of open top cars I would prefer for 30K+, some of which already mentioned.
    Used S2000 with lots of change maybe?
    My pref on looks alone would be A4 or SAAB if you need 4 seats and a open roof.

windsurfer

Status
    I don't rate Autoexpress... they only publish rubbish... I wouldn't buy neither...

A Alfa Spider? Alfa red please!!! no... take away please!!

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

S3 (8P)

Status
    Lately Alfa seem to consistantly make beautiful cars, right across their range, not a single moose for years IMO.

Actually going with a mate to test a GT JTD on Sat. Hes just opted out of his Co. Car scheme and is using his allowance to buy one, plans to do 20K+ p/a so that should be test for reliability.
    Motoway munching in style.
    ********, of topic again...

Cheers Paul

windsurfer

Status
    Alfa yes!!!! By this rate I will be doing 20k miles a year in my S3... Now that is style!! Or being silly!!! ahaha

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    No great shakes here - just reporting what Autocar said, i was a bit surprised (particularly the handling bit!)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    Alfa yes!!!! By this rate I will be doing 20k miles a year in my S3... Now that is style!! Or being silly!!! ahaha

Pedro
    I do almost double a year in my coupe... Gotta have a nice car if your doing the miles!

J.

windsurfer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
    I do almost double a year in my coupe... Gotta have a nice car if your doing the miles!

J.
    True true... Had that though myself... The S3 is nice for lots of mileage.

Just needed a bigger tank.... going twice a week to fill it up is a pain. Monywise I don't care too much it is just another bill... but the hassle of having to stop regularly for petrol...

How many liters your Z4 takes?

Pedro

5th Gear

Status
    I don't rate Autoexpress... they only publish rubbish... I wouldn't buy neither...

A Alfa Spider? Alfa red please!!! no... take away please!!

Pedro
    I'd have one in white after seeing this

That is a seriously sexy car
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Status
    True true... Had that though myself... The S3 is nice for lots of mileage.

Just needed a bigger tank.... going twice a week to fill it up is a pain. Monywise I don't care too much it is just another bill... but the hassle of having to stop regularly for petrol...

How many liters your Z4 takes?

Pedro
    Ah man the visiting the petrol station every other day is a real bind. The Z4 takes 55 litres os I am guessing the same as the S3? I get around 270/280 from a tank on average. Like you the money isn't too much of a concern especially as I can claim mileage it's just the amount of time.

Then of course I have to fill up the wifes car...

J.

windsurfer

Status
    Well same here... 280-350 miles per tank depending on right foot pressure....

I can't claim mileage but I don't have wifes car to fill up...

Pedro