DIY Suspension - advice please

Teejay

winning the school run grand prix
Reaction score
Hi guys, just want some quick tips on changing springs (all 4). I've done them on other cars so that's not an issue, just wondered about a couple of things I've seen in the workshop manual (Elsawin).

Fronts:
1) do you really need to undo the hub etc and drop it down, or can you just undo the strut from the knuckle and it will come out ok?
2) do you really need the Audi tool for splitting the knuckle to get the strut out?
3) do I need to replace any nuts/bolts other parts when I'm keeping the shocks? (they will be done in a couple of months).

Rears:
1) will I be ok using normal spring compressors (3 manual ones) rather than the single sided compressor that Audi use?
2) do I need to replace any parts here ('consumables')
2) is this really as simple as Elsawin shows?

Advice from those who have done this on their A3/S3 much appreciated.

On another note, I've not seen any mention as everyone seems to go for H&R, Weitec or Eibach, but has anyone got Koni springs?

Cheers,
Tim

you need to disconnect the damper/strut bottom end to get the spring out - normal spring compressors are fine.

the bottom end of the strut is stuck/clamped in the hub casting and mine needed lots of hitting with a large hammer to get the hub off the bottom of the strut - and just as much hitting after to get the strut end back in to the hub

otherwise very straight forward.....(excluding the usual siezed/sheared bolts etc)

there was a thread about koni springs - someone really really didnt like them for some reason.

Thanks for the response Dunk, although I can't believe you're the only one here who's done this job. Does everybody here pay someone else to mod their car for them?

I am guessing you'll know this but make sure you get the camber and tracking set up after fitting the springs or else your tyres will last you 1000miles!