AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Mellow Yellow

Status

DIY Suspension - advice please

Hi guys, just want some quick tips on changing springs (all 4). I've done them on other cars so that's not an issue, just wondered about a couple of things I've seen in the workshop manual (Elsawin).

Fronts:
    1) do you really need to undo the hub etc and drop it down, or can you just undo the strut from the knuckle and it will come out ok?
    2) do you really need the Audi tool for splitting the knuckle to get the strut out?
    3) do I need to replace any nuts/bolts other parts when I'm keeping the shocks? (they will be done in a couple of months).

Rears:
    1) will I be ok using normal spring compressors (3 manual ones) rather than the single sided compressor that Audi use?
    2) do I need to replace any parts here ('consumables')
    2) is this really as simple as Elsawin shows?

Advice from those who have done this on their A3/S3 much appreciated.

On another note, I've not seen any mention as everyone seems to go for H&R, Weitec or Eibach, but has anyone got Koni springs?

Cheers,
    Tim

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    you need to disconnect the damper/strut bottom end to get the spring out - normal spring compressors are fine.

the bottom end of the strut is stuck/clamped in the hub casting and mine needed lots of hitting with a large hammer to get the hub off the bottom of the strut - and just as much hitting after to get the strut end back in to the hub

otherwise very straight forward.....(excluding the usual siezed/sheared bolts etc)

there was a thread about koni springs - someone really really didnt like them for some reason.
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Thanks for the response Dunk, although I can't believe you're the only one here who's done this job. Does everybody here pay someone else to mod their car for them?

windsurfer

Status
    I pay for the servicing as well.. dont have the knowledge or time to do it my self.

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    I am guessing you'll know this but make sure you get the camber and tracking set up after fitting the springs or else your tyres will last you 1000miles!