A3 3.2 quattro (DSG) S line OR MkIV R32

Yeah found a nice black one with 33k for 12k so not bad, stil think i like the 3.2 though!

Would definitely go for the 3.2 over the old S3. No brainer that one. Better interior, exterior, performance, standard kit, residuals, style, reliability, etc.

I used to have an 8L S3, and I found it to be extremely dull, it was just an A3 with nice seats. It sounded like a diesel at startup and I just thought it looked boring. That's not even considering its driving dynamics which were, quite frankly, ****. Handled like a tank, gave no confidence in corners, and hated being driven properly. It was just an all rounder, with big wheelarches. Not a bad car by any means, but I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe I had over hyped it as I'd always wanted one since I was 17.

The MK5 GTI is brilliant though, but I just like a car with xenons and 4WD and I couldn't find one within my budget (in black or red) so plumped for the R32.

I have heard the R32 MKIV has quite a few issues with it?

There are a few issues such as the 6463 ECU update, but on the whole it's reliable enough. Are there any specific issues you've heard about?

The 8L S3 was just a thought as the man's selling his new-ish Mazda to save bread , i don't see him saving much on a V6 after he's tride to pump it up to 260-70bhp.

p

I cannot tell the difference between the 318 M Sport and the 335 M Sport but one has a 2.0 engine chucking out 150 odd bhp whilst the other is thier signature straight 6 turbo'd engine producing more than 300 bhp.

Maybe you can have a look at the brakes or exhaust?

That's the same reason I like the S3, people back at home will just see it as another 2.0 hatchback! Only people who know what it is, will know.

I would go for the R32 personally, just because it fits my lifestyle (young male with little passengers/cargo looking for a fun car to toy around with).

GTI%2010.jpg

of course, adding boost helps.
GTI%2007.jpg

Congratulations on ruining a perfectly good car. http://freespace.virgin.net/xxx.99/s/******.gif

Sorry to go back to this point on the Audi badging system but i think some people have totally missed my point. No one is comparing the way Audi badge the A3 to BMW's range so leave that out of it. I'm talking in comparison to other VAG marques...Seat, VW and Skoda.

This isn't rocket science... In the Golf range you have the standard Golf with it's various trim levels. You then have the GTDI, which just has a few nice little trim features and nicer wheels, then the GTI which has it's own individual styling entirely and then in turn the R32 is instantly recogniseable by it's own styling features.
Same applies to Seat and even Skoda.

So then why when you get to the VAG premium range (Audi), has the badging system been dumped? It never used to be like that. Audi's years ago had a far more precise and distinguishable badging system.

No one is talking about having stickers saying 3.2 all over the car, thats ridiculous. If you read my original post i'm just saying it would be nice to badge the 2.0TDI as it's own car entirely and give it it's own individual styling tips (as the Golf GTDI), give the 2.0TFSI quattro it's own model name, revise the bumpers and give it it's own wheel design (again just like the Golf GTI), likewise for the 3.2 V6.
Surely to god if you styled the 2.0TFSI and 3.2 as totally original cars and rebadged them something like... A3 GT and A3 V6 for example, they'd be far far far more desireable as slightly more performance orientated cars.

It must annoy some of you guys when some one asks what car you've got and the description goes on FOREVER....
What do you drive?
Audi A3.
Oh nice, which one? Sport or something?
It's the S-Line.
Nice, diesel or petrol?
Petrol.
Cool, what engine?
...2.0TFSI
Is that quattro or FWD?
Christ almighty...It's quattro.

You see... If i could just say... Audi A3 GT they'd know exactly what i was talking about from square one. But instead i have to sound like a pretentious idiot and say "Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TFSI quattro" just to avoid a ten minute conversation. Ridiculous.
Almost makes it worth buying an S3 just to avoid confusion.

Anyway thats my rant over for today...

Sorry to go back to this point on the Audi badging system but i think some people have totally missed my point. No one is comparing the way Audi badge the A3 to BMW's range so leave that out of it. I'm talking in comparison to other VAG marques...Seat, VW and Skoda.

This isn't rocket science... In the Golf range you have the standard Golf with it's various trim levels. You then have the GTDI, which just has a few nice little trim features and nicer wheels, then the GTI which has it's own individual styling entirely and then in turn the R32 is instantly recogniseable by it's own styling features.
Same applies to Seat and even Skoda.

So then why when you get to the VAG premium range (Audi), has the badging system been dumped? It never used to be like that. Audi's years ago had a far more precise and distinguishable badging system.

No one is talking about having stickers saying 3.2 all over the car, thats ridiculous. If you read my original post i'm just saying it would be nice to badge the 2.0TDI as it's own car entirely and give it it's own individual styling tips (as the Golf GTDI), give the 2.0TFSI quattro it's own model name, revise the bumpers and give it it's own wheel design (again just like the Golf GTI), likewise for the 3.2 V6.
Surely to god if you styled the 2.0TFSI and 3.2 as totally original cars and rebadged them something like... A3 GT and A3 V6 for example, they'd be far far far more desireable as slightly more performance orientated cars.

It must annoy some of you guys when some one asks what car you've got and the description goes on FOREVER....
What do you drive?
Audi A3.
Oh nice, which one? Sport or something?
It's the S-Line.
Nice, diesel or petrol?
Petrol.
Cool, what engine?
...2.0TFSI
Is that quattro or FWD?
Christ almighty...It's quattro.

You see... If i could just say... Audi A3 GT they'd know exactly what i was talking about from square one. But instead i have to sound like a pretentious idiot and say "Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TFSI quattro" just to avoid a ten minute conversation. Ridiculous.
Almost makes it worth buying an S3 just to avoid confusion.

Anyway thats my rant over for today...

Except no one knows what an S3 is neither......:scared2:

Congratulations on ruining a perfectly good car. http://freespace.virgin.net/xxx.99/s/******.gif

Lol...someone's being sour.

My friend has a boner for all things orange, and how can you claim any boosted R32 as ruined? Fwiw, that thing would run circles around my S3 at a track, fare better at car shows (it did win), yet still get props from other dubbers. And all that matters is, the guy loves his orange, and does not have LCD screens all over the car :)

If you want a hot hatch get the R32. If not then get the A3.

Why would you make the front end of a Golf look like an old model Corsa?

@PNH80

The way i see it is:

Standard golfs (varying engines) -------- Standard A3's (Varying engines)​
Golf GTi --------------------------------Audi S3
Golf R32 --------------------------------Nothing

The 3.2 A3 was never meant to be marketed as a boy racer car, otherwise they would have slapped some skirts on, with badboy wheels etc etc. Thats my take on it anyway.

Personally out of the A3 3,2and the R32 I'd go for the R32. Can you find one with low miles on it though?

Oh and leather was an option on the R32 not standard as someone else stated.

J.

MK IV R32's are fit , i'd have one of them over the A3 3.2.

MK V R32 is getting very close to S3 money and there's no choice at all.

p

@PNH80

The way i see it is:

Standard golfs (varying engines) -------- Standard A3's (Varying engines)​
Golf GTi --------------------------------Audi S3
Golf R32 --------------------------------Nothing

The 3.2 A3 was never meant to be marketed as a boy racer car, otherwise they would have slapped some skirts on, with badboy wheels etc etc. Thats my take on it anyway.

You're right in how you see it because thats exactly how it is! I'd just like to see some subtle differences between the different levels of performance in the A3 range. Not just lump them all together as S-Line. The 2.0TFSI Q and 3.2 V6 Q are very different animals to the FWD TDI...but look identical. Not saying turn them into hot hatches but little tweaks to the bumpers and some model specific wheels would be nice.

Just a personal gripe of mine thats all!

Paul.