Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 121 to 143 of 143
  1. #121
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    80
    Gripes so far are:

    Accessing the rear seats - the front seats refuse to easily return to the same position they were in beforehand which can be a real pain.

    iPOD functionality is poor.

    Wind noise at autobahn speeds isn't great.

    Other than that I'm really pleased with my S3, although I haven't been near a dealer yet and I hear they're not the best.....

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #122
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbikez View Post
    I wouldn't get to cocky about porsches build quality my accountant has a porsche boxster which has had two engines replaced under warranty and he thinks they are ****.
    I'm far from being 'cocky' about Porsche's, i'm saying if anything not to get cocky and arrogant about Audi build quality. They're more prestigious than most marques but as Pedro points out... probably not 'better' built. I think a lot of the time, the rock solid styling and bomb proof german image just give that impression.
    Sorry to hear about your accountant's bad luck with his car. Never heard of ANY car having 2 brand new engines so he really has got a heap of crap there hasn't he. Although to call Porsches '****' i feel is the opinion of a bitter man who happens to have had a terrible car.
    My uncle has only ever had Porsches, started with the old 944 S4 in black, then a white 911 S with the turbo body and whale tail, then the 996 4S ('94) which is in my opinion the best Carrera ever, just stunning, then a 997 4S and now the new Carrera 4S which again is a wonderful car. So easy to drive and such controllable power.
    Never had a days grief with ANY of them. Obviously all cars have niggles but nothing major or mechanical.
    Although i must say.... Porsche dealers do seem to put Audi and BMW in the shade when it comes to appauling customer relations and being generally 'up their own arse'.


    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    build quality argument amused me quite a lot.... Go back and read all the rubbish you have been writing for the past hour or so!!!!! All of you!!

    Build quality? For sure any modern car is well built! I don't see cars regularly breaking down on the side of the road or are our roads full of recovery trucks... and most owners do not even know what oil the car uses or its purpose!!!!

    Pedro
    I think the argument is more aimed at value for money with regards to 'build quality'. You are bang right in what you say... Mostly all modern cars are better built but it comes down again to customer expectations and the image of the Audi brand.
    When companies like BMW and Audi go on about the ultimate driving machine, vorsprung durch technik (translates as advancement through technology) etc etc, they set themselves up for a fall when they don't quite deliver. Most other manufacturers just get on with making solid, affordable cars!
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  4. #123
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    I know and I understood that... What gets to me is that some people talk about this like they were ripped off or something... In the end this applies to everything we buy and value for money is a personal thing...

    Even getting something for another thread...watches... you can get a 50 replica of most models and it is fine, time keeping is accurate and everything so how could you say 5 grand for a watch is value? Or better why do you spend 5k? you see what I mean?

    If someone here spent money and the expectations weren't met I think it was either bad luck, lack of research (the self to blame only) r too high expectations for a product you can buy online!!... but coming here moaning and moaning about the value for money or crappy "stealers" makes me a bit sick really... That's all I can read on this forum sometimes.

    It is fine to state opinions and experiences that is why we are here but always moaning about the same things... like me before I kept moaning about how boring it was to drive... but i stopped it now... everyone knows how I feel about the driver involvement so no point keep stating that.

    When I bought my S3 I couldn't care less that it had an Audi badge or a Renaul badge (I actually was going for a Renault Megane Sport!!) So my expectations were normal expectations to all car manufacturers not "premium" expectations!!! The extra price paid for an Audi, if you ask me, is not because it is a "premium" product, so much better than a Renault or others, it is because is a desirable brand so Audi can charge the extra for the same quality/costumer service, etc... I never had "extra" expectations because it was Audi nor I expect to be better treated at dealerships when compared to any others be it Fiat or Ferrari!! From car dealerships I expect the same standard of service for my car, no matter what I am driving.

    I guess some of you are confused and did not realise that Audi is just a car manufacturer, Fiat is another, Toyota is another, Porsche just the same... Money spent goes to research on the product sold and to desirability tax!!! Nothing to do with extra costumer care or anything... in fact the best dealership/salesman ever was a KIA one for me!!!

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  5. #124
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I don't really follow your train of thought, Pedro.
    You're basically saying we shouldn't expect better build quality and we shouldn't expect better service from the dealer.
    But that is exactly what Audi want us to believe we'll get.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  6. #125
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    well OK bowfer... maybe I am not a typical Audi costumer...

    I never expected better build or better service... like I said I expect the same from any manufacturer...

    For me Audi is just another manufacturer it is not a special brand... so I couldn't care less for what people think of the badge or what it represents.

    If some of you bought an Audi because of what Audi wanted you to believe you were victims of clever marketing and selling strategies...

    I bough an S3 because I liked the A3 shape, I wanted a 4WD and a fast one, and I wanted one with understated looks. Only manufacturer with a car like that was Audi with the S3... If it was Renault or Citroen I would be driving one just now... So for me Audi brand is meaningless...

    But ok I accept your positions they are just as valid as mine...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  7. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    I don't really follow your train of thought, Pedro.
    You're basically saying we shouldn't expect better build quality and we shouldn't expect better service from the dealer.
    But that is exactly what Audi want us to believe we'll get.
    Yes but that's just marketing hype. All manufacturer's try an make you thing their product is the best and therefore the one your should buy. It applies to almost anything you buy and not just cars.

    Personally I don't buy an Audi because it's a "premium" brand. I buy an Audi because they make a car that I like and am happy to pay the price that they are asking for it. My Audis have always been reliable, but so were my Golfs as is my wife's current Polo. My particular dealer always looks after me well by in sales and service but again so does the VW dealer that looks after Jenny's Polo. Honda have a good reputation for cars and for service but our friends have a Honda Civic and they think their particular dealer is rubbish and will certainly not go back to them for another car.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  8. #127
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    FWIW, I actually agree with you, Pedro.
    I believe Audis were, once upon a time, better built than the competition.
    However, that just gives the competition something to aim for.
    Renault, for example, are making a big deal about aiming for 'German' build quality levels, as are Citroen.
    They're definitely getting there, to the point I really don't believe there's much to split between any of them now.
    Which does make you wonder why any of us pay the extra, Audi or BMW.
    Like you though, I had very specific needs.
    I wanted the most powerful diesel I could get, within parameters, and I wanted rear wheel drive, after decades of front wheel drive boredom.
    So it was only ever going to be BMW or Lexus.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  9. #128
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    FWIW, I actually agree with you, Pedro.
    I believe Audis were, once upon a time, better built than the competition.
    However, that just gives the competition something to aim for.
    Renault, for example, are making a big deal about aiming for 'German' build quality levels, as are Citroen.
    They're definitely getting there, to the point I really don't believe there's much to split between any of them now.
    Which does make you wonder why any of us pay the extra, Audi or BMW.
    Like you though, I had very specific needs.
    I wanted the most powerful diesel I could get, within parameters, and I wanted rear wheel drive, after decades of front wheel drive boredom.
    So it was only ever going to be BMW or Lexus.
    ... or Merc!... ahaha

    Absolutely, I don't think there is much between the manufacturers at all... I had Alfa, Renault and others and what can I say? happy costumer!!! The cars bought suited my needs and purposes 100%.

    Like you though I am needing a fast diesel (I started covering many miles a week now...) and I might give rear wheel drive a go next year... Let's see what happens. Not going back to FWD for sure... for me is AWD/4WD or RWD (well have to try this one yet for a long term...)

    My next car spec if I buy what I should!! Fast diesel, coupe shape, RWD or AWD.... so options are not great!! Audi A5, BMW 3 series Coupe, Merc CLK... what else?

    See don't care about brands really... ; maybe I get an alternative BMW...

    Pedro
    Last edited by newbiecrg; 11th June 2008 at 17:37.
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  10. #129
    Matt's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,416
    Why is it that in the motoring press Audi are widely regarded as having one of the best build quality and interior styling? They cant be saying it for no reason surely! And you would think if the quality is as bad as some say then surely the press must of had one of these bad ones at some point?

    As been mentioned there will always be lemons no matter the brand. I would hate it if I had got one and would probably moan about it just as much as others on here!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

  11. #130
    JimmyJames's Avatar
    Jas.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Linlithgow, Scotland
    Posts
    201
    For me

    1. They are good cars but overly priced and the resale is always less than what Audi themselves market as a premium brand. Can't work that loss out.
    2. Dealerships.(Linked to above)They tell you your chosen options are this price and then they tell you when you trade in that they are not worth much in resale but they then market up them again to the next buyer. Thieves!!!!
    3. Audi Paint. Whether thats too soft or whatever it is, it is not very robust.
    S3 57 Dolphin Grey.
    MFFBSW,GSM,Cruise,Symphony 6,Bose,
    I-Pod,Rain n Light Pack,Front Arm Rest,Black Optik Grille,BBS Calito'S.

    06 A3 2.0T Q S-Line Sportback Spec Ed. Sold
    05 TT Quattro Sport (240 bhp). Sold
    04 A4 1.8T S-Line (190bhp). Sold

  12. #131
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    AUDI are an extremely successful, profitable outfit and sell a lot of cars.

    BUT, so are many of the mainstream players and competition.

    AUDI charge more for their products than many of the mainstream players.

    So...either AUDI produce `good` cars, certainly good enough for people to part with their (extra) cash, OR they have genius marketing and their consumers have all been tricked. And thats a lot of people to `trick`.

  13. #132
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    their marketing is very good

  14. #133
    Stalled

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Thing is Paul people will more likely to make comments about a product if it they had problems with it than someone which had no problems.

    Thing I disklike about our A4? The fact we didnt pay the extra to get the S-Line special edition with the black styling kit and RS4 alloys! Really regretted it when I saw one on the road.

  15. #134
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    As i said in a thread a few weeks back , you'll always get the " odd " problem with any car and Audi is no different , there will always be the " odd " bad one ( sorry Bacardi ) i think it's par for the course.

    As a Rule i think Audi build is great , better than most , and thats why we pay the exrta for it.

    p

  16. #135
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    We pay extra because they don't sell it for less!!!

    Also price (some can read value here instead) is not the selling point when buying Audi.

    But yes they have a good marketing and prestige so they make the most of it even if some of it comes from the past... for example the quattro brand name....

    I don't know why they surcharge as they do and I don't really care... I buy what I want and can in terms of a precise specification and I shop everywhere... this time it happens it as an Audi... Next time can be even a Honda or whatever...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  17. #136
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    As i said in a thread a few weeks back , you'll always get the " odd " problem with any car and Audi is no different , there will always be the " odd " bad one ( sorry Bacardi ) i think it's par for the course.

    p
    Don't apologise, its done me a favour in the long run, I've never had a car I don't have to worry about before , this one can get left anywhere, used for runs to the tip without having to cover the interior, pretty much treated as the car it is

    One thing I will say, with all the abuse, the interior has 1 mark on it, quite impressive

  18. #137
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Im pretty new to AUDI ownership, owning VWs for years (amongst other brands) but predominantly VW and HONDA for a while now.

    On that basis I cant comment on personal experience other than the few weeks Ive had my S3, but so far it has been a pleasure to drive, own and look at.

    Not having owned AUDIs as long as many on here, I can only pass general opinion on thing sthat are well documented and/or considered in the motoring press and media:

    -AUDIS are percieved as reliable and well made
    -That they are perceived as a premium brand
    -That they are widely considered as making fine interiors
    -That they have good resale.
    -That they are `desirable`
    -That they are (reassuringly) expensive.

    This is the basis I bought an AUDI (as well as the S3 ticked all of my boxes), and people continue to do so in they 1000s.

    We are a small online community, with a minority who have had overwhelming bad experiences with their cars and are justifiably p!ssed off, with a few more that have been generaly undewhelmed by their ownership experience.
    This I believe, you will get with every brand, and something that will be echoed in owners forums the world over.

    But how representative is this? Does this reflect a whole brand? Are AUDI really having our pants down and we are all Emperors with no clothes?
    The great AUDI swindle?

    Surely not?


    Wrt the dealer network, Ive not yet had any service work carried out however from my first and brief encounter with my local AUDI dealer (MILL Sunderland - can I say that???) they were rude, unhelpful, arrogant and unprofessional, and I was a potential punter !!!
    Not a good start for me but I will use a different dealer for my servicing and see how that goes.

    my 2p for now

    cheers
    paul

  19. #138
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post

    One thing I will say, with all the abuse, the interior has 1 mark on it, quite impressive
    Sdee the build quality now!!!!!!


    Just joking mate!

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  20. #139
    Not having owned AUDIs as long as many on here, I can only pass general opinion on thing sthat are well documented and/or considered in the motoring press and media:

    -AUDIS are percieved as reliable and well made
    -That they are perceived as a premium brand
    -That they are widely considered as making fine interiors
    -That they have good resale.
    -That they are `desirable`
    -That they are (reassuringly) expensive.
    I think to Jo Public Audi are precieved as a premium, reliable and well made car which is why the retained value after 3 years for an A3 is around 50-60% where as for a Ford Focus it's only 35% (according to Auro Express at least)
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  21. #140
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I think to Jo Public Audi are precieved as a premium, reliable and well made car which is why the retained value after 3 years for an A3 is around 50-60% where as for a Ford Focus it's only 35% (according to Auro Express at least)
    Is it realistic for all of these perceptions to be wrong?

    Like I said, I dont have the benefit of long term ownersip to go on like many here, so this is my only reference point.
    Last edited by PaulAr; 11th June 2008 at 20:21.

  22. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Is it realistic for all of these perceptions to be wrong?

    Like I said, I dont have the benefit of long term ownersip to go on like many here, so this is my only reference point.
    Personally I don't think so. I'm on my 6th A3 and my 10th Audi and I've always been happy with them. I fairly certain my next car with be another A3 because I obviously like them and they meet my requirements for a car.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  23. #142
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Is it realistic for all of these perceptions to be wrong?

    Like I said, I dont have the benefit of long term ownersip to go on like many here, so this is my only reference point.
    Not sure if its unrealistic or not, however there have been a few makes that used to have good reputations and lost them, getting them back is much harder

    Lets hope Audi are paying attention to those who are having problems

  24. #143
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    What is being realistic?

    I think is everything the Jo Public buying an Audi instead of a car is not!!!!

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO