Volks AutosBadger5
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    179

    creaking (windows not me....)

    odd.... both front windows are creaking as the glass moves very slightly on the move, it's never done it before. Drop the glass a fraction and it stops

    Any ideas?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    L60N
    Guest
    Never heard that. Slap a touch of vaseline across the top of your windows?

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    44
    My drivers window started to do this recently and is driving me mad what is the problem

  5. #4
    Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    357
    That's an Audi A3 feature.

    Replace door seals, have silcone crap slapped all over it by the dealer (temp solution, comes back), buy a decent car. Someone once said that a black crayon rubbed across the felt stuff at the top of the door works...

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    179
    hang on - do you mean when the glass is up it moves the door frame slightly - and THAT is what's doing it? In which case the fact I polished (?acrylic'd) the car yesterday may be causing it??

  7. #6
    I cant spell !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    434
    Mine is doing this as well - drivers side only -
    Will have to get the vaseline out

    Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

  8. #7
    JamS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    2,248
    Mine does it when I go up my drive which is on a bit of a dip too, makes a right creak.

    I just open the window before I go on if I think it will p*ss me off on that particular day!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

  9. #8
    L60N
    Guest
    It sounds like we should park them all up in a line and make a harmonious tune!

  10. #9
    rich1068's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by a3norwich View Post
    That's an Audi A3 feature.

    Replace door seals, have silcone crap slapped all over it by the dealer (temp solution, comes back), buy a decent car.
    QFE!

    Do a search Steve. Loads of people have had this problem.


    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

    Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

  11. #10
    stan's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    136
    Had this problem a while back & had both door seals replaced under warrenty, been fine ever since, until it went in for a service last week.
    on the journey home for the dealers straight away i could hear the creaking back but only on the passengers door, could not believe it, every time it visits the dealer i have a problem.
    Anyway tried a few cleaning products for rubber, cleaned the glass, drop of oil on door catches nothing works.
    So i contacted the dealer stating the problem, im now over 3 years with the car so no warrenty so they dont want to know but would contact Audi to see if they would help, but they wont.
    My car has only done 26000 miles, 3.5 years old top of the range A3 with a creaking door, not what i expect, with the last window rubber only doing a few 1000's miles.
    Should i contact Audi customer service myself as i think this is my next step.
    S-Line

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    179
    It's just mighty odd. I took delivery (new) January, it's been used, driven, washed, washed, driven, washed. Then Sunday I polished it and - presto - instant creak Monday morning! It has also been hot (particularly Sunday)

    If it had been doing it all along I guess I wouldn't have posted here

    So is it the glass in the frame or the door rubber against the roof side??

  13. #12
    stan's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    136
    Glass in rubber striping in door at the top, so when you drop the window a mm or 2 the noise stops,is were i believe its coming from, is it the curve of the window when closed puts pressure on the top of the door rubbers.

    When i had this rubber replaced the noise went & has lasted for a year & 6 months there was no adjustment of the door.

    I been using the same wash materials for months then out of the blue the creak returns, it can really only be dry rubber i've tried many rubber products on it but next im going to use a cotton bud and some 303 & get right into the channel the window sits in when closed.
    S-Line

  14. #13
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg9 View Post
    It's just mighty odd. I took delivery (new) January, it's been used, driven, washed, washed, driven, washed. Then Sunday I polished it and - presto - instant creak Monday morning! It has also been hot (particularly Sunday)

    If it had been doing it all along I guess I wouldn't have posted here

    So is it the glass in the frame or the door rubber against the roof side??
    no no its non of them trust me, i spend months with all sorts of stuff to make it stop, many trips to the dealer but it never went away, first guess would you think that it the window meaning when you drop it i mill it goes away, but you be wrong, i know exacatly what it is, open the door and on the top of the door you see the the FELT SEAL its that what is making the noise, i tryed all sorts of stuff to make it stop but in the end i rubbed (i know this will sound silly lol)kids BLACK CRAYON on it to match the colour, and ever since the noise is gone

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    179
    But .... sorry to be dense.... It's the door seal (felt) where it meets the edge of the roof? So it might be my fault for polishing the car................

    Thanks all!!

  16. #15
    I cant spell !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    434
    Just checked the felt strip on mine and it does have a white edge to it - (which I'm guessing is dried wax - have been giving car a wax), Removed this stuff so will see how it goes

    Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    179
    I didn't think it was doing it this morning... Is it the heat that gets it going?

  18. #17
    stan's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by khalil View Post
    no no its non of them trust me, i spend months with all sorts of stuff to make it stop, many trips to the dealer but it never went away, first guess would you think that it the window meaning when you drop it i mill it goes away, but you be wrong, i know exacatly what it is, open the door and on the top of the door you see the the FELT SEAL its that what is making the noise, i tryed all sorts of stuff to make it stop but in the end i rubbed (i know this will sound silly lol)kids BLACK CRAYON on it to match the colour, and ever since the noise is gone
    What made you try crayon, im going to have another look at mine today see what i can find.
    so you think its the top of the door rubbing against the body work, & when you drop the window it releaves the pressure pushing inwards towards the body.
    So do you think its the felt seal creaking on the bodywork, my be a layer of wax on the door shut edges will help.
    S-Line

  19. #18
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    What made you try crayon, im going to have another look at mine today see what i can find.
    so you think its the top of the door rubbing against the body work, & when you drop the window it releaves the pressure pushing inwards towards the body.
    So do you think its the felt seal creaking on the bodywork, my be a layer of wax on the door shut edges will help.
    it is the felt and noting else trust me i messed about with the window as first that what i thought it was but after months of messing about and alot of headache i found the FELT thats what it is causing that horrible noise, i used black crayon because it matches the black felt so you cant see it, what really happens is when the weather heats up the felt becomes soft and it grips the framework, also like when you wash the car again the felt grips the framework, using i wax crayon it smooths out the felt so it dont grip the framework, you can also polish the edge of the car framework as a added bonus

  20. #19
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg9 View Post
    But .... sorry to be dense.... It's the door seal (felt) where it meets the edge of the roof? So it might be my fault for polishing the car................

    Thanks all!!
    yes open the door and right ontop of the door seal you will see the felt

  21. #20
    stan's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    136
    I've cleaned the edge of the door with a chemical cleaner then waxed & used a detail spray now the edge is clean & slippery, there as some marring on the edge making it quite rough looks like where its been rubbing.
    Sprayed loads of trim treatment all over the felt top edge & side, will see tomorrow what happens.
    Didnt have a wax crayon.
    S-Line

  22. #21
    I cant spell !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    434
    Well cleaning the old dried wax off the edge of the felt strip seems to have sorted the creak out for me. Good call there Khalil ! Thank you again
    Just now need to get the rattle from the rear seats sorted - think it might be the headrest - anyone else got any better suggestions ?

    Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

  23. #22
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by rsarjantson View Post
    Well cleaning the old dried wax off the edge of the felt strip seems to have sorted the creak out for me. Good call there Khalil ! Thank you again
    Just now need to get the rattle from the rear seats sorted - think it might be the headrest - anyone else got any better suggestions ?

    Richard

    lol i know excatly what that is too, i post it here maybr later on or tomorow as i got some visitors

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    179
    Like you Richard I think I've sorted it (but it's much cooler today..). polished inside the shut and treated the felt to a dose of the top coat sealant stuff (Jeffs Werkstat). Didn't notice any noise on the way in. Likewise I don't possess a crayon

  25. #24
    stan's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    136
    Thanks Kahlil , no creaks at all now you pointed me in the right direction, wonder how long it will last, least i know what todo if it returns wish i'd know this a year & a half ago.
    S-Line

  26. #25
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Thanks Kahlil , no creaks at all now you pointed me in the right direction, wonder how long it will last, least i know what todo if it returns wish i'd know this a year & a half ago.
    no problem mate, i know how much pain in the a** that noise is, its just bugs me when you take it to the dealers they dont sort it out, they always say its the window glass rubbing which is not true, if it does come back they the crayon trick , the noise has not come back my car since and its been 2 years

  27. #26
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by rsarjantson View Post
    Well cleaning the old dried wax off the edge of the felt strip seems to have sorted the creak out for me. Good call there Khalil ! Thank you again
    Just now need to get the rattle from the rear seats sorted - think it might be the headrest - anyone else got any better suggestions ?

    Richard
    ok mate try this, drive how you would do normally, and when you hear the noise from the back seats, park up somewhere and drop 1 side of the seat and drive off, if the sound comes back stop and drop the other seat, that why you would know which side of the seat is making the noise, IF the noise stops, i post you a photo what to do because it sort of hard to explain without photos, oh and if the noise is still there when you drop both seats try driving without the parcel shelf, let me know,

  28. #27
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    44
    I also have a rattle from the back seat and have dropped the back passenger back and the rattle has stoppped what do i need to do now to stop the rattle

  29. #28
    I cant spell !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    434
    Ok will try this and let you know

    Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

  30. #29
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by jordychris View Post
    I also have a rattle from the back seat and have dropped the back passenger back and the rattle has stoppped what do i need to do now to stop the rattle
    ok mate did you notice which seat it is coming from?? you can find out by dropping one side first and than the other, once you figure out which one it is, its i simple 2 min job to solve it, i would have to post some photos as it is little diffult to explain,

  31. #30
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    44
    yes it is from the passenger side

  32. #31
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754

    ok this is the photo of the rear passenger seat folded down,what you is lift the colth and cut out a card to fit in between the sponge the cloth, that should stop the noise, well i hope it works for you lot as thats what was causing my problem, the noise comes when the seat is back and the sponge and the cloth rub against eachother, lol actullay that sound dirty lol,

    if that dont work try sparying some wd40 or something in the red mark areas

  33. #32
    I cant spell !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    434
    Tried the trick with some card on the seat & it does seem to have stopped the creak for now - Once again thank you Khalil !

    Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

  34. #33
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by rsarjantson View Post
    Tried the trick with some card on the seat & it does seem to have stopped the creak for now - Once again thank you Khalil !

    Richard
    no problem mate, once i done that the creak has stopped on my car, its been 2 years and its creak free,

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO