Looking at getting a a3 3.2 quattro s-line (Newbie)

Stuno1

Reaction score
I am in the throws of selling my Mazda 3 MPS aero (http://pistonheads.com/sales/551890.htm) and looking for the A3 3.2 quattro s line and have a few newbie questions.

I see you can get a revo map done and had one on my Fabia VRS and loved the results of it. What power gains can i expect and how much does it cost?? What 0-60 is it pulling after this?

Are their any issues i need to look out for?? I am looking for the DSG model. Hints, tips, pointers???

Cheers!

You will get no where near the power increses with a revo on a normally aspirated 3.2 v6.
Have you thought of the 2.0TFSI, much more tuning potential or do you need a v6?

Remaps on naturally aspirated cars never give the same results as Turbo'd cars, however there are a few remapped 3.2's on here who report good results.
You really need to test drive one as the power delivery is very different to what you will be used to especially with the DSG.
Have you tried a DSG?, they can be a bit of a "marmite" thing, most people love them, but there are a fair number of people who don't get on with it. You will however get better mpg and a slightly quicker 0-60 from one. I love mine after never having had an auto before or ever really wanting one!.

Don't think there are any major issues that you need to look out for but bear in mind the number of different options that were available from new and then try to get the right spec for you.

I know it sounds odd but i dont want a car i can tune loads as am selling my MPS to save my wallet!!! If i can achieve 270-280 bhp with a remap exhaust and intake, that is pretty much all i intend to do. Is the 3.2 DSG no good then????

Drove it today, enjoyed the padels, didnt think i would! Lack of turbo boost was not much fun though...I will look at the TFSI as well...

Is the 3.2 DSG no good then????

No It's a great car and the only A3 that you can get with DSG and Quattro, it just takes a bit of getting used to after having a turbo'd car, still a quick car though and pull is relentless and very smooth, with an awesome sound track.

oh ok fair enough! Is it a belt or a chain? I asked if you would consider my MPS, but i believe you are looking for a Porsche or a BMW?

I like the look of your MPS but i've decided my next car will definitely be either a Cayenne S or an M3...I just can't decide between the two (i know they're totally different and I'll look like a ***** in both)

I'm certain the A3 3.2 is a chain cambelt. I've asked a few times and been told that. Can anyone finally put this to bed?

Cayenne every time....Once i sell my car ill be knocking on your door i am sure, if your A3 is still available...fingers crossed.

Defo Cayenne S (sorry off topic).

Cant believe Mazda3 MPS models are changing hands for less than 13K !!! thats a lot of car for the money, and they get some decent write ups.
My 3 1/2 year old golf went for that.

Good luck with the sale, and fingers crossed you dont get as many lunatics as I did.:icon_thumright:

cheers
Paul

Defo Cayenne S (sorry off topic).

Cant believe Mazda3 MPS models are changing hands for less than 13K !!! thats a lot of car for the money, and they get some decent write ups.
My 3 1/2 year old golf went for that.

Good luck with the sale, and fingers crossed you dont get as many lunatics as I did.:icon_thumright:

cheers
Paul

Lunatics??? In what way??

Lunatics??? In what way??

Overseas scammers. ("My freight agent will contact you, all I need is your Bank details and wifes bra size...etc")

Cardata and other agencies. ("We have 4 million peolpe who want to buy your car, just give us 50quid and we will put you in touch....")

Tyre Kickers. (Nob head who brings his `uncle Tom` who is rumoured to have done an oil change on a VW Derby 20 yrs ago before his `back problem` and is now and authority on german cars)

Time Wasters. ("I will be there in an hr mate".....still waiting pal...)

Chancers ( "I know your car is up for 14K mate, but will you take 10K for cash......?" What the **** else would I take, sheep ??)

Deluded P/x `ers (" Ive got a Purple flip 1996 SAXO with a WideBoy Kit, will you take that and an Ali G replica hat for your car"

The world is full of them.

Its worth it though mate, I probably ended up 2K better off selling private than going the p/x route.

Good luck:icon_thumright:

Paul

It's a great car and the only A3 that you can get with DSG and Quattro.

The Sportback is available with a 2.0t/DSG/quattro combo over here in the U.S. starting this fall. It has to be available over there too. Or is Audi not doing the 3-door with this combo? But this guy is looking for pre-owned it seems.

I am looking for pre-ownded yeah.

Can someone explain what the s-line provides in terms of basic upgrades compared to standard 3.2 v6 quattro with DSG. I appreciate there are many add ons, but wandered if there was a 'basic package'.

I have looked on the internet with no real joy!

Cheers.

err well basically the S-line is lower (25m i think or 10m over the Sport). Also, you get S-line written all over the place, bigger wheels (18"s), Black headlining, piano black inserts in the doors, can't think of anything else. There is also an S-line styling pack with a rear spoiler and some lower lips available, but they were two independent packs originally I think...

I@m sure there's some other stuff but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm sure it's been covered pretty well before though, i'll have a search..

in my opinion its a great car, despite what everyone says, search my posts and my mini write up of it is there from when i first got one, alternatively pm me for any other details/questions you want to know or have

Why you not replace it with another one after the crash mate?

Went for a test drive in one this weekend, did enjoy it. Smooth power and loved the dsg. Didnt feel as fast as my MPS due to the lack of turbo but was fast as could see the needle going up!

Do you know what the difference is (if any) between S-line suspension set up and non s-line suspension set up? So the sport model etc.

The 3.2 is available in Sport/ S line only.

The difference between the S line and Sport is purely cosmetic, they both have the sports suspension. The S line looks miles better than the Sport though.

A Sport generally looks like this:

http://pistonheads.com/aimg/402502-1.jpg

S line:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=14033637

Ignore the old grill or new grill, it is the wheels, interior difference and badges that the S line has.

Not sure what your budget is but if you can get a full leather seat S line model.

Make sure you want the DSG and the 3.2 V6 as well, you may hate the box and the road tax is expensive when a 2.0T can deliver the same performance after a remap. The only difference is the quattro system, which you could have anyway if you took the manual.

Is it wrong I feel more tempted by this

http://pistonheads.com/sales/509466.htm

:racer:

oh ok cheers for that, i have seen quite a few s line models without the front splitters and spoilers etc. Audi really bum you on the options!!!!

Also there's the sport with the Votex kit!:think:

I traded my DSG 3.2 A3 in last year for an S3. Wouldn't recommend the 3.2 to be totally honest. Big, heavy front end meant nasty understeer - the whole car had a heavy, fat feeling to it which was useless on track or even on a twisty road. Nice and rapid in a straight line - but where's the fun in that ?

Go for an S3 if your budget will take it or a 2.0T FSI with a remap if not. Less lardy, more nimble - miles better.

oh ok cheers for that, i have seen quite a few s line models without the front splitters and spoilers etc. Audi really bum you on the options!!!!

Oops, as mentioned the S line picture shows the votex kit hence the bumper looks different.

This is a normal S line

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=14033637
Also there's the sport with the Votex kit!:think:

Edited.

This isn't true is it? The S-line is 10mm lower than the Sport.

Not 100% sure. I just know that the DVLA and Audi told me they both have sport suspension, which they do. Being 10mm lower is that really a big definitive factor for an A3?

Appreciate what you are saying about the heavy feeling of the 3.2 but the FSi is expensive. i am making the change to save money really. The s3, well if money allowed obviously i would have one!!!

I have understeer in my current car but my god it is punchy! The 3.2 is smooth and handles relatively well so i am pretty happy with it. I know i have said it before but do really like the DSG, didnt think i would but i do.

scrap my last comment...

http://pistonheads.com/sales/545404.htm

So i suppose it is 2.0T FSI after map will be approx 250BHP, and can get s line so looks same as 3.2, and has 5 doors so more practical...and can get DSG.

OR

3.2 DSG S line and remap and filter to 270 BHP ish but no turbo.

Both will be similar specs and power and both have DSG, have no clue which one to go for???

Help!

A vote here for the 3.2 but i have one so might be biased!!

scrap my last comment...

So i suppose it is 2.0T FSI after map will be approx 250BHP, and can get s line so looks same as 3.2, and has 5 doors so more practical...and can get DSG.

OR

Both will be similar specs and power and both have DSG, have no clue which one to go for???

Help!

For me that is the one. You wouldn't be disappointed with the 3.2 - not by a long chalk. I loved mine and did several big European trips in it (including a few laps of the Nurburgring). Ultra reliable, ultra smooth, ultra nice. But now I have the 2 litre unit I do appreciate the lighter front end. £10.2k for a 10,000 miler is excellent value if that's typical of what a 2.0T is going for. Get a Bluefin/Revo remap and you're well away ......

scrap my last comment...

OR

Help!

What's your budget? If you are going for a Sportback you can get them cheaper than the 3 door as you can see with that one.

The big differences between the two is the 3.2 has the quattro system, more road tax and no turbo lag.

The T is FWD and costs less in tax.

The S line kit stays the same.

Hi Stuno. I've had turbo'd petrol and diesel cars, V6's of various sizes and all manner of 'sport' saloons through to mid engined cars. I currently own a 3.2 having come from a Alfa GT Diesel, albeit one that had been mapped.

First thing, the 3.2 engine. Pretty incredible really. It pulls from 1k rpm and will potter along at 1.5k rpm in 6th. At the same time it scream all the way to 7k rpm and deliver S3 rivaling speeds. My usual run to work in steady traffic will return 30mpg, as will a steady Mway cruise at 80mph. It really is the best engine I've ever had in a car. It doesn't deliver the boost feel of a turbo'd car which took some time to get used to, but since doing so its true what they say...there ain't no replacement for displacement!!

The handling....mmm, well a lot of people say the front heavy end makes the car understeer. The engine itself is no bigger physically than an inline 4, something that surprised me, but it does have an iron block, which adds weight. Does it effect the handling? Not that I can tell. I have driven the car pretty quick and with the ESP on have yet to encounter understeer. The car will certainly go around corners a lot quicker than most cars I have driven.

On the downside, the steering has little feel and the whole thing lacks passion or the fun element. But, it is very effective at covering ground, and sounds amazing.

Regards

Rob

Right, so basically the 3.2 has smoother power delivery, handles better as is 4WD so unlike the 2.0 there will be little or no torque steer??? I am not worried about the tax as i pay top wack at the moment.

I am looking to spend £11,500.

My MPS is front wheel drive and even though Mazda limit torque in 1st and 2nd gear and depending on angle of the steering wheel, torque steer is still quite obvious when you floor it.

Cheers to all of you for your help...Think i am leaning towards 3.2, for the quattro, DSG and no lag when gunning it.

Found this review

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/audi-a3-sportback-2.0t-fsi-1004404.html

3.2 me thinks.

You're right, no torque steer, just the ability to put your foot down mid corner and go round it faster rather than sliding off into a hedge. Its great fun, esp in the wet!

I almost bought an MPS3 prior to buying this car. I also tested and MPS6, it was that 4WD that car convinced me 4WD was the way to go.

Regards

Rob

I Have had mine a couple of years and love it.

Been playing with my Performance Box today

http://www.performancebox.co.uk/

0-62Mph in 6.1, quater mile in 14.7. The only mod is headers and Miltek cat back. 140kw ATW's.

That's the straight line side, dont have any problem with how it goes around corners, Yes the S3 is a better handler (I have driven it) but I love the Noise of the V6.

David

Pretty sure i am settled on the 3.2, what benefit is there is a miltec cat back? All that does is improve/change the exhaust note?? I had a cad back and high flow sport cat put on my current car so some power gains, all be it mimimal.

Definately want a remap and intake put on when i get one, should take it to approx 270-275 BHP and healthy torque as well...

Cheers for all your help everyone!

Just have to sell my MPS now...any takers:meeting: