New Tyres

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just purchased and had fitted four new tyres for my Sportback. The tyres I chose in the end were 225/45 R17 Dunlop SP Sport MAXX. From new the car had been fitted with Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres. The car has done 19,090 miles. I decided not to go for the same tyres again as they are quite a bit more expensive (£31.00 per tyre) than the Dunlop's and having had Dunlop's on my previous 2.0TDI-140 and got a similar mileage from them as the Michelin's I decided the extra cost was not justified. The rear tyres still had around 3-4mm of tread by as I was changing tyre type I decided to change all 4.

I purchased the tyres from Black Circles.com as they were approximately £20.00 per tyre cheaper than my usual local tyre depot. The tyres were fitted locally by a Black Circles approved depot. The total cost for the 4 tyres was £383.52 or £95.63 each. So far, with only the few miles home from the tyre deport, the Dunlop's are certainly much quieter than the Michelin's.

Very strange you should say they are quieter, we've found the exact opposite but with the 18" version on a sportback s-line...they are generating so much more noise we've ended up putting my OEM S3 wheels on the sportback as they still have continentals on.

Very strange you should say they are quieter, we've found the exact opposite but with the 18" version on a sportback s-line...they are generating so much more noise we've ended up putting my OEM S3 wheels on the sportback as they still have continentals on.

I liked the Sportmaxxes on my 18" equipped S-line.
Certainly quieter than the F1's that were on immediately before.
Whether they are quieter than the original Contis is hard to say though.
I liked the softer sidewalls of the Sportmaxxes over the F1's too.
Improved ride a fair bit.
Outright grip not as good as the F1's, but not far off.

Bowfer which F1's were you using, the gsd3s or the assymetrics?

I've never driven an A3 of any description with Continental tyres, but my new ones are certainly quieter than the Michelins. I went out today to help a friend with some computer problems and driving back (around 25miles) it was chucking it down and the wet grip on the Dunlops was fine.

Bowfer mentioned about the side walls being softer. Perhaps that explains one other thing I noticed today. Much less of a 'crash' when I go over cats eyes and a slightly softer feeling to the ride.