TDI (140) DSG - Mpg drop?

sibby

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed how my mpg has gone between 30-40 and sometimes 29, out of half a tank of fuel I am lucky to get 200 miles before reserve tank. Often only getting about 160-180 miles!

Prior to this I would leave it in sport mode and even after 10 minutes of revving each gear to the max and driving harshly it would still be around 35+ mpg!

Anyone have any ideas? I have about 6 months left on my warranty so may give Audi a call but would prefer not to!

Some info:

- A3 S line TDI 140 DSG
- Use standard BP diesel
- Lots of town driving / short journeys

Thats your main problem...short journeys

Try these simple solutions:

Disconnect battery for a short time
Replace deisel filter
Replace Air filter
Oil change
If you know someone with VAGCOM - get them to check your faults and reset the unimportant ones - i found this to increase my mpg for some reason - strange

I have 175bhp (140pd), 19" wheels and a full sound system and get high 40's most of the time!

Not sure about the battery but the diesel/air filter and oil could help. I will look into these, the car is 2 1/2 years old so nothing major (usually) needs replacing!

I've never noticed mine get lower than mid 30's in traffic, overall its still averaging 48 on DIS. Weekday driving is a good mix of motorway and stop start - I'd give your friendly local dealer a call and ask them to check it out

I'm amazed with mine if I'm honest

It gets absolutely leathered everywhere it goes, and I mean leathered

still (according to DIS) averages 48 - I guess one day I should really measure it myself rather than trust DIS

How about actual mileage (on the clock not DIS) from half or a full tank?

Be worth a trip to the dealers as it is still under warranty as there is something amiss.

For example I had the coolant temp sensor go on mine and it didnlt flag any errors on the dash.

The Engine ECU knew there was a problem though.

Paul

Thats your main problem...short journeys

My A3 sometimes only did 7 miles a day (3.5 miles commute).
Combination of sitting in traffic, then revving the paps off it on a short stretch of country road.
I still got around 40mpg(ish).

I dislike going to the dealers for anything, they always damage something :keule:

Even with all my short journeys it never went to low 30/28-29 mpg.

Tomorrow I will check everything is normal ie coolant, oil, etc didn't get a chance today! Then I will take it on a stretch to see if it improves, if not off I go to the dealer :haudrauf:

Thanks for info so far! also my DIS has been very accurate, I also track it by looking at the actual mileage and that has become poor too!

If we drive ours with a random amount of thrashing it will do 40mpg

If we drive it nice all week we get 45mpg.

VAGS always were top at mpg until the 2.0TDI came along .

The other 1.9 130PD A3 we have returns 50mpg with lots of thrashing.
The older car is not Euro 4 compliant and has 95k on her.

On a similar theme.....

I am expecting delivery of my A3 Sportback SE 2.0 (140) TDI S-Tronic.....

How many miles should I expect from a tank and do I need to run it in or can a cane the backside off it from the get go..

according to DIS it reckons 550 ish, it actually manages something nearer to 450, unless the wife drives then it could possibly make it to the moon and back on a tank :)