Elsawin

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
Not an Audi question, but hopefully somebody will be able to help out....

Does anybody have the VW version of Elsawin installed?

I'm looking for information on replacing the lower centre front grille on a MkV Golf (the one under the number plate). Not sure if it requires removing the bumper or not. One dealer has told me it does, and one has told me it does not.

I'll see if I can find out for you....I'm a member on there and think I know someone who might have it.

Thanks Dave.

It is a 2004 MkV GTTDI.

I had a go at removing the old one last week, but it didn't want to budge. There seem to be some clips at the top and bottom that are arrow shaped, so when you push them in the tip expands and locks it in place.

I pulled at it from various different angles and couldn't get it off.

I have, but unfortunately the girl who owns it used it to murder some pigeons and one of them rather selfishly broke the vertical slats as he passed through it and into the radiator, so the grille no longer has the rigidity is used to.

The first link there is for the GTI\GT style grilles and the second link is for a MkIV. The grille I'm replacing doesn't have any screws in it - it just seems to be clipped in.

Sorry, my mistake on the second link. I wasn't paying attention!

Most of the info I've found is relating to the facelift GT bumper. Can't seem to find any for the pre-facelift.

How's this?

mk5gtbumper2.jpg

Thanks for that Dave.

It is number 8 on the list. I'll try to see her over the weekend and see if that works - although that is what I tried already.

The pre-facelift GTTDI is just the same as the current non-GT bumper.

No problem. Got there in the end! :yahoo:

I think it's the facelift bumper which they say needs to be removed to change the lower centre grill.

Yeah, I had to replace the bottom grille on my brother's GTI last week too and that was a bumper off job. Luckily we had to take the bumper off to fit some new lights to the car anyway, so were able to kill two birds with the one stone.