Airbox Upgrade, 3.2 V6

bigchewie

Reaction score
I decided to try a little experiment with my A3 and from what i gather this is becoming more of a common mod throughout the car world.

I decided to change the standard air filter too a cone filter inside the standard airbox.

Heres the story, I had a RAM air cone filter lying around that i had bought for my Audi Coupe v6 that i never used. The filter is Rated for up to 265BHP, slightly above what the car should be pushing and if i think its worth it i will possibly by a bigger filter ( i think the filter cost me £27 a year or so back), I bought a spare Airbox from ebay for a quid plus p+p, then once i realised it would quite likely fit i bought a 90 deg elbow and some clips from ebay. Heres the pics of what i done. I have yet too fit it too the car as i only stuck it together an hour ago.

First up the standard airbox (bottom half)

DSC01323.JPG

I removed the small trumpet section and then removed the flared section, as luckily the OD of this was the same OD as the Cone filter (80mm)

DSC01324.JPG

Next up the Filter and the silicone elbow attached.

DSC01325.JPG

NExt up the lower half of the Airbox, note the cross suport for the paper filter, which i need to remove to fit the cone.
DSC01326.JPG

Same bit minus the cross bar
DSC01328.JPG

Now the cone filter in place.

DSC01327.JPG

All that was left too do was too clean all the crap out of the inside of the airbox, screw both halves together and leave it on the kitchen floor, ready for fitting at some point.

The main bonus of this should be improved induction noise(if nothing else hopefully a little improved breathing too) but without excess heat that often occurs when changing the standard filter for a cone filter. Once I get it on the car and tested i'll post an update.

All in it took ten mins too fit the cone in the box, I am tempted to drill multi holes in the airbox too allow more air too get too the filter but i need to have a better poke about the engine bay once i take the airbox out, so i keep the sides exposed to heat sealed up.

If anyone else has done this or similar let me know please.

cheers

Looks good, let us know how it feels and sounds when you get going. The only thing that would concern me is the cone vibrating against the inside of the airbox. Whats the clearance like?

Regards

Rob

Hmmm, an external air induction filter enclosed in a box.. Will that work? I would do away with the box completely if you are going with the cone filter, try and get some cold air directed to it too.

it that not the same as something like the bmc cda or a pipercorss viper
but cheaper

There is not a lot of clearance tbh, it kindo rests on one side, will try it and see what happens.

The point of keeping it in the airbox is too reduce heat soak, If I was too do away with the Airbox, i would then have too fabricate, heat sheilds and such like and buy an expensive induction kit. (which could happen if this doesn't work).

I also want too keep the Standard look under the bonnet for the moment.

There is not a lot of clearance tbh, it kindo rests on one side, will try it and see what happens.

The point of keeping it in the airbox is too reduce heat soak, If I was too do away with the Airbox, i would then have too fabricate, heat sheilds and such like and buy an expensive induction kit. (which could happen if this doesn't work).

I also want too keep the Standard look under the bonnet for the moment.

I see what your saying, in a way, but arnt you also restricting air flow by having it in a box?

These cone filter systems are designed relying on having air passing over and through them arnt they?

I can see it reducing heat sink and the standard airbox does provide a good amount of cold air. But does a cone provide any more air flow than a panel filter? Or is it a case of just a better sound?

Rob