Route advice - Manchester to South Wales

Iggu

Reaction score
SatNav is throwing up three different options (M6 then M5; A483 all the way down; west coast via Dollgellau) and the AA and RAC routeplanners disagree with each other !

Anyone out there know the best (quickest - 2 year old in the back so not after Stelvio-like swithbacks) route ? Manchester to Llanelli is the journey ...

The A483 is a nice scenic route but I wouldn't go to S Wales that way. I'd opt for M6, M5, M50. Either way, it's a fair old jaunt!

The A483 is a nice scenic route but I wouldn't go to S Wales that way. I'd opt for M6, M5, M50. Either way, it's a fair old jaunt!

Agreed, then pick up the M4 at Newport and it's motorway all the way to the Llanelli turn-off at J48. One word of caution - the road works which start at Cardiff Gate (J30? sorry - don't have junction nos immediately to hand) do go on for several miles and can cause a considerable hold-up.

Another option would be, coming down the M50 to Ross on Wye, then Monmouth, then take a right at Raglan and head towards Abergavenny and the 'Heads of the Valley' link. This will take you onto the A465 which is a pleasant road, a little hilly in parts and sections still in three lane mode, but overall it's not a bad link. Take the A465 then join the M4 at Llandarcy (Neath) and head west to Llanelli.

Great - thanks for the advice people. Speak soon !