EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Serious Depreciation!

Just been to Peterbrough Audi to get a px figure on my A3 Sline Tdi170. Its a July 06 car with 26k on it (spec listed at bottom of my post).

Not sure if I was expecting too much or they are trying to rip the a$$ out of me .................... been offered 14,250!

I queried them to ensure that they had the car details correct as they are selling an 05 1.6sport A3 for 14k on the forecourt.

I expected a minimum of 15k, but am I being unrealistic???

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Visit a few other dealers to get some more figures but really it all dpends what you are PX against, it is always best to concentrate on what dealers call CTC - cost to change and do the maths from there.

I would imagine you could get the figure up to the 15K mark once you have involved some competition, most cars lose around at least the vat as soon as you drive off, couple this with min 9% discounts available on your model and it seems reasonable but still unacceptable, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

Good luck
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Quote Originally Posted by coupe-se View Post
    Just been to Peterbrough Audi to get a px figure on my A3 Sline Tdi170. Its a July 06 car with 26k on it (spec listed at bottom of my post).

Not sure if I was expecting too much or they are trying to rip the a$$ out of me .................... been offered 14,250!

I queried them to ensure that they had the car details correct as they are selling an 05 1.6sport A3 for 14k on the forecourt.

Try Huntingdon Audi just down the A1. I have used then for the past 10 years and they have always given me a good deal. When I traded-in my July 2004 A3 2.0TDI SE DSG with 37k miles in March 2007 they offered 12,250 and 9% off they new A3. If you can, speak to Lee Stubbings. By all means say I put you in touch with him.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Try Huntingdon Audi just down the A1. I have used then for the past 10 years and they have always given me a good deal. When I traded-in my July 2004 A3 2.0TDI SE DSG with 37k miles in March 2007 they offered 12,250 and 9% off they new A3. If you can, speak to Lee Stubbings. By all means say I put you in touch with him.
    Cheers, i may well take a trip there.

Peterborough are currently building a huge extension to the branch dedicated to a 'new' model apparently. Guess they are recouping the cost of it starting with me!!

Cheers, i may well take a trip there.

Peterborough are currently building a huge extension to the branch dedicated to a 'new' model apparently. Guess they are recouping the cost of it starting with me!!
    Huntingdon Audi have just had a new Service Centre built with 13 bays plus 2 washing washing bays, and an MOT bay. The original building which was service bays and showrooms has now been converted into a much larger showroom.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    I have found over the years Audi always seem to offer at least 2.5k less than they would sell for so stick in and push for more money for yours!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    14,250 for your car with that spec sounds a little on the low side for me. But dont forget that you are px. If you've negotiated a fair amoutn off the "new" car you probably wont be able to squeeze dealers for much more on the px.

I px Audi A3 2.0T Quatrro S-line Oct 2005 Lava Grey 25k miles
    Bose, CD changer
    14,250 just like yours..but mine was 1 year older with a lower spec.
    And now I've seen the dealers trying to flog mine on their forecourt for 16,895!!

I'd try and bargain harder to get closer to 15K
    Good luck mate

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3 View Post
    I have found over the years Audi always seem to offer at least 2.5k less than they would sell for so stick in and push for more money for yours!
    *******s!!

who'd have thought they'd want to make a profit

5th Gear

Status
    Huntingdon were worse than Peterborough when I wanted to change the golf, i'm sure that car would go on there forecourt for at least 18995
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

5th Gear

Status
    Always sell privately if possible. I was offered 1,750 for a 68,000 miles VR6 Corrado "M" reg in PX for a new Audi 3.2 A3 DSG. Sold it 4 days later for 5,500.

Was then offered (by the same dealership in Manchester) a price of 12,000 for the 4 year old 3.2 A3 DSG (new: 28,200). Sold it privately for 15,400 two weeks later.

Its a ballache selling privately - people dick you about something rotten. But in the end, in cash terms, its always worth the hassle.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sleep envy View Post
    *******s!!

who'd have thought they'd want to make a profit
    There is profit and being fair by knocking some off. The point I was trying to make is there is always more to be had from your px if you keep pushing. Of course they need to make a profit but that much?
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Always sell privately if possible. I was offered 1,750 for a 68,000 miles VR6 Corrado "M" reg in PX for a new Audi 3.2 A3 DSG. Sold it 4 days later for 5,500.

Was then offered (by the same dealership in Manchester) a price of 12,000 for the 4 year old 3.2 A3 DSG (new: 28,200). Sold it privately for 15,400 two weeks later.

Its a ballache selling privately - people dick you about something rotten. But in the end, in cash terms, its always worth the hassle.
    Spot on. Ive always gone this route, yes it a pain but you can make some serious savings and can please yourself where you go for the next car, dealer/independant/private/auction.
    Patience required though, some complete doolies come out of the woodwork when your selling via the classifieds but I would still do it every time.

Paul

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3 View Post
    There is profit and being fair by knocking some off. The point I was trying to make is there is always more to be had from your px if you keep pushing. Of course they need to make a profit but that much?
    no one is forced to take their offer...

bare in mind that it's not all profit though;

warranty
    preperation works
    advertising
    VAT
    valeting
    commission
    insurance
    business rates
    O/Hs

and remember for every day the car is sat outside the gin palace it's going down in value

IMO anyone who takes a main dealer PX value is throwing money away as the dealer will want to make on both sides *unless* you can get a good cost to change
    Last edited by sleep envy; 29th May 2008 at 22:40. Reason: spooling pistakes

1st Gear

Status
    just to put it all into perspective what do you reckon this guy thought when he was 'bid' on his car by the trade

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/539364.htm

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sleep envy View Post
    just to put it all into perspective what do you reckon this guy thought when he was 'bid' on his car by the trade

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/539364.htm
    That looks cheap to me, too cheap.

p

1st Gear

Status
    that's what I'm thinking - possibly a CAT-D

saying that, current shape V8 Range Rovers with less than 60k are below 10k in the trade and V8 Cayennes are hovering in the early teens

anything remotely juicy is taking a hammering

On Boost

Status
    What about this!!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/453513.htm

Now these are top cars , we had one for a year, 40k car new, selling with 14k on the clock going for 15k?

Either it's a scam/cat c-d or peeps just don't want em.

p

1st Gear

Status
    I think the used car market is on it's arse

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Just out of interest, how does it work exactly when you sell a car privately with outstanding finance on it? Simply a case of selling the car then sending off a cheque to the finance people? Or do you have to settle it before the car is passed on to a new owner?
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

1st Gear

Status
    you are supposed to clear outstanding finance first but..... so long as you send them a cheque immediately you are ok
    Nick

July 08 - A3 Sportback SE 2.0 TDI 140 S-Tronic - Deep Sea Blue - Ipod - Aluminium inserts - TomTom Proclip mount - THB Bury Car Kit - DIS

Born to Fish

Status

Decide the differential cost you are thinking to px yours against a newy Internet comparisons are best and then play about 4-5 dealers off each other over the phone and after a few weeks you should have your bestish price. Its suprising how they will come down with the cost of change.

Worked for me it cost me about 6000 to chop an 05 A3 SE 1.6 for an 08 A3 SE 1.4T and a day after signing the order another dealer phoned to offer a 400 better deal (which miffed me a little)
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

1st Gear

Status
    The full story (which I wasn't going to bore you all with) is that 6 weeks ago I was offered 15,600 by Peterborough Audi as trade in value against an Astra Coupe being purchased from a Vauxhall dealer.

This figure wasn't dressed up by the Vauxhall dealer but what was offered over the phone as I sat there. The car was purchased from Peterborough Audi so they know the car and its condition.

So fast forward to yesterday and we are sat in a ............... DONT LAUGH ............. Mini dealership. The wife drives the car 90% of the time and wants something smaller and funkier. So after a test drive of a new Cooper S (which is a surprisingly nice drive) we came to the px value bit.
    A call across the road (literally) gave us the 14250 offer on our car. the Mini salesman later phoned the guy he usually deals with to get px values and 15k was offered.

The inital offer being 1250 less than the value offered 6 weeks previously was the real shocker. I also got 1k knocked off the price of the Cooper S without any hassle also. Has the used car market taken a big hit with the current financial climate??

The long and short is its now goodbye Audi for the time being, and hello to a Cooper S. Its certainly going to be interesting adapting to such a different car. The mini is 2 insurance groups higher which equates to a 40 a year increase. Road tax is identical. Real world mpg is much the same as the A3 as the wife mainly does motorway miles. It would be quite ironic if due to the price differential between diesel and petrol at the pumps, that the petrol worked out slightly cheaper.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    Just out of interest, how does it work exactly when you sell a car privately with outstanding finance on it? Simply a case of selling the car then sending off a cheque to the finance people? Or do you have to settle it before the car is passed on to a new owner?
    If I'm looking at a car.. do a HPI check on it, and find outstanding finance; I would walk away that second.

I've been stung with a car dealership not settling finance on a car I traded in against another one when I was younger. I was paying finance on two cars at one point (one of which I didn't own). I know that is a different situation... but
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options