Serious Depreciation!

coupe-se

Reaction score
Just been to Peterbrough Audi to get a px figure on my A3 Sline Tdi170. Its a July 06 car with 26k on it (spec listed at bottom of my post).

Not sure if I was expecting too much or they are trying to rip the a$$ out of me .................... been offered £14,250! :Flush:

I queried them to ensure that they had the car details correct as they are selling an 05 1.6sport A3 for £14k on the forecourt.

I expected a minimum of £15k, but am I being unrealistic??? :think:

Visit a few other dealers to get some more figures but really it all dpends what you are PX against, it is always best to concentrate on what dealers call CTC - cost to change and do the maths from there.

I would imagine you could get the figure up to the £15K mark once you have involved some competition, most cars lose around at least the vat as soon as you drive off, couple this with min 9% discounts available on your model and it seems reasonable but still unacceptable, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

Good luck

Just been to Peterbrough Audi to get a px figure on my A3 Sline Tdi170. Its a July 06 car with 26k on it (spec listed at bottom of my post).

Not sure if I was expecting too much or they are trying to rip the a$$ out of me .................... been offered £14,250! :Flush:

I queried them to ensure that they had the car details correct as they are selling an 05 1.6sport A3 for £14k on the forecourt.

Try Huntingdon Audi just down the A1. I have used then for the past 10 years and they have always given me a good deal. When I traded-in my July 2004 A3 2.0TDI SE DSG with 37k miles in March 2007 they offered £12,250 and 9% off they new A3. If you can, speak to Lee Stubbings. By all means say I put you in touch with him.

Try Huntingdon Audi just down the A1. I have used then for the past 10 years and they have always given me a good deal. When I traded-in my July 2004 A3 2.0TDI SE DSG with 37k miles in March 2007 they offered £12,250 and 9% off they new A3. If you can, speak to Lee Stubbings. By all means say I put you in touch with him.

Cheers, i may well take a trip there.

Peterborough are currently building a huge extension to the branch dedicated to a 'new' model apparently. Guess they are recouping the cost of it starting with me!!

Cheers, i may well take a trip there.

Peterborough are currently building a huge extension to the branch dedicated to a 'new' model apparently. Guess they are recouping the cost of it starting with me!!

Huntingdon Audi have just had a new Service Centre built with 13 bays plus 2 washing washing bays, and an MOT bay. The original building which was service bays and showrooms has now been converted into a much larger showroom.

I have found over the years Audi always seem to offer at least 2.5k less than they would sell for so stick in and push for more money for yours!

£14,250 for your car with that spec sounds a little on the low side for me. But dont forget that you are px. If you've negotiated a fair amoutn off the "new" car you probably wont be able to squeeze dealers for much more on the px.

I px Audi A3 2.0T Quatrro S-line Oct 2005 Lava Grey 25k miles
Bose, CD changer
£14,250 just like yours..but mine was 1 year older with a lower spec.
And now I've seen the dealers trying to flog mine on their forecourt for £16,895!!

I'd try and bargain harder to get closer to £15K
Good luck mate

I have found over the years Audi always seem to offer at least 2.5k less than they would sell for so stick in and push for more money for yours!

********!!

who'd have thought they'd want to make a profit

Huntingdon were worse than Peterborough when I wanted to change the golf, i'm sure that car would go on there forecourt for at least £18995

Always sell privately if possible. I was offered £1,750 for a 68,000 miles VR6 Corrado "M" reg in PX for a new Audi 3.2 A3 DSG. Sold it 4 days later for £5,500.

Was then offered (by the same dealership in Manchester) a price of £12,000 for the 4 year old 3.2 A3 DSG (new: £28,200). Sold it privately for £15,400 two weeks later.

Its a ballache selling privately - people **** you about something rotten. But in the end, in cash terms, its always worth the hassle.

********!!

who'd have thought they'd want to make a profit

There is profit and being fair by knocking some off. The point I was trying to make is there is always more to be had from your px if you keep pushing. Of course they need to make a profit but that much?

Always sell privately if possible. I was offered £1,750 for a 68,000 miles VR6 Corrado "M" reg in PX for a new Audi 3.2 A3 DSG. Sold it 4 days later for £5,500.

Was then offered (by the same dealership in Manchester) a price of £12,000 for the 4 year old 3.2 A3 DSG (new: £28,200). Sold it privately for £15,400 two weeks later.

Its a ballache selling privately - people **** you about something rotten. But in the end, in cash terms, its always worth the hassle.
:iagree: Spot on. Ive always gone this route, yes it a pain but you can make some serious savings and can please yourself where you go for the next car, dealer/independant/private/auction.
Patience required though, some complete doolies come out of the woodwork when your selling via the classifieds but I would still do it every time.
:yes:
Paul

There is profit and being fair by knocking some off. The point I was trying to make is there is always more to be had from your px if you keep pushing. Of course they need to make a profit but that much?

no one is forced to take their offer...

bare in mind that it's not all profit though;

warranty
preperation works
advertising
VAT
valeting
commission
insurance
business rates
O/Hs

and remember for every day the car is sat outside the gin palace it's going down in value

IMO anyone who takes a main dealer PX value is throwing money away as the dealer will want to make on both sides *unless* you can get a good cost to change

that's what I'm thinking - possibly a CAT-D

saying that, current shape V8 Range Rovers with less than 60k are below £10k in the trade and V8 Cayennes are hovering in the early teens

anything remotely juicy is taking a hammering

Just out of interest, how does it work exactly when you sell a car privately with outstanding finance on it? Simply a case of selling the car then sending off a cheque to the finance people? Or do you have to settle it before the car is passed on to a new owner?

you are supposed to clear outstanding finance first but..... so long as you send them a cheque immediately you are ok

Decide the differential cost you are thinking to px yours against a newy Internet comparisons are best and then play about 4-5 dealers off each other over the phone and after a few weeks you should have your bestish price. Its suprising how they will come down with the cost of change.

Worked for me it cost me about £6000 to chop an 05 A3 SE 1.6 for an 08 A3 SE 1.4T and a day after signing the order another dealer phoned to offer a £400 better deal (which miffed me a little)

The full story (which I wasn't going to bore you all with) is that 6 weeks ago I was offered £15,600 by Peterborough Audi as trade in value against an Astra Coupe being purchased from a Vauxhall dealer.

This figure wasn't dressed up by the Vauxhall dealer but what was offered over the phone as I sat there. The car was purchased from Peterborough Audi so they know the car and its condition.

So fast forward to yesterday and we are sat in a ............... DONT LAUGH ............. Mini dealership. The wife drives the car 90% of the time and wants something smaller and funkier. :wacko: So after a test drive of a new Cooper S (which is a surprisingly nice drive) we came to the px value bit.
A call across the road (literally) gave us the £14250 offer on our car. the Mini salesman later phoned the guy he usually deals with to get px values and £15k was offered.

The inital offer being £1250 less than the value offered 6 weeks previously was the real shocker. I also got £1k knocked off the price of the Cooper S without any hassle also. Has the used car market taken a big hit with the current financial climate??

The long and short is its now goodbye Audi for the time being, and hello to a Cooper S. Its certainly going to be interesting adapting to such a different car. The mini is 2 insurance groups higher which equates to a £40 a year increase. Road tax is identical. Real world mpg is much the same as the A3 as the wife mainly does motorway miles. It would be quite ironic if due to the price differential between diesel and petrol at the pumps, that the petrol worked out slightly cheaper.

Just out of interest, how does it work exactly when you sell a car privately with outstanding finance on it? Simply a case of selling the car then sending off a cheque to the finance people? Or do you have to settle it before the car is passed on to a new owner?

If I'm looking at a car.. do a HPI check on it, and find outstanding finance; I would walk away that second.

I've been stung with a car dealership not settling finance on a car I traded in against another one when I was younger. I was paying finance on two cars at one point (one of which I didn't own). I know that is a different situation... but