Fashion

GlasgowRangers

Reaction score
I haven't been back to Glasgow in a wee while so I might be losing touch with fashion.

According to all the fannies that drive around here in Turkey boy racer style they seem to think it is the fashion to drive around in the middle of the day with their Xenon lights (copy or otherwise) on. Why do folk do that? Is it to show that they can afford them? I really don't get it. I have Xenon lights on my car but never use them unless the auto-mode cuts in.

Who drives around with their Xenons on at 12 in the afternoon on a sunny day and why do you do that? Is it as common as it is here in Turkey?

Also, why do they put these daft Xenon look a like things in their fog lights and any other light that is available?

Loud exhausts are, unfortunately, 'de rigeur' in the UK just now.
I'd make it a capital offence.

What about the lights Bowfer mate? Do you have tits flying about in the afternoon with exhausts blaring and lights glaring?

Yeah it is common, saw a subaru imprezza the other day, was such a nice day he had his shades on but was driving round with headlights and foglights on!

Another thing is ppl like to show off that they have front fog/driving lights so drive round with sidelights and the front fog/driving lights on, why not just put your headlights on! The only benefit these lights have is in adverse weather or on a narrow country lane!

Yeah it is common, saw a subaru imprezza the other day, was such a nice day he had his shades on but was driving round with headlights and foglights on!

Another thing is ppl like to show off that they have front fog/driving lights so drive round with sidelights and the front fog/driving lights on, why not just put your headlights on! The only benefit these lights have is in adverse weather or on a narrow country lane!

Most of us on this forum have DRL's , mine are never off unless i'm on main beam!

Fog lights round our way, most chav wagons don't have Xenons.

p

Foglights, aye.
Haven't noticed the headlights thing.

Noticing more and more of those LED DRL's on A5's and Q7's.
They look awful.
Like Danny La Rue's make-up mirror.

Where did he mention Loud exhausts?

He didn't.
He mentioned a 'driving fashion' in Turkey.
I replied the current 'UK fashion' is loud exhausts.
I wish headlights were the fashion, instead.
Driving around with headlights on isn't going to disturb me watching a film.
W**kers.

Hey, if you're happy driving around with your loud exhaust, it stands to reason you don't care about other people.
So I'm surprised my comments bother you.

Loud exhausts only annoy me when they are a drone of the type you get from Citroen Saxos and Pug 106s

The police over here have been running a safety campaign for the last number of years promoting the use of your lights during the day, especially on a sunny day, so oncoming traffic can see you.

I only find loud exhausts pleasant in a track environment.
We've had this argument before, but I don't see the difference between a young lad putting a loud exhaust on his Saxo and someone else putting one on their A3.
One has a fatter wallet, they're both eejits.

I used to live on a rd/st that was a cut through , it had speed bumps on it , to slow the traffic down.

We got the odd boy racer/chav with there " cherry bombs " TBH it doesn't really bother me certainly not enough to put me off my film/TV show/music.

p

Interesting. I didn't know that the police were promoting use of headlights during the day. Maybe I need to start using mine.

As a rule i don't have anything against 'loud exhausts'. I do however have a problem with the car they are strapped onto. More often than not it's my observation that the bigger the exhaust, the more underpowered the car resulting in a sound similar to someone farting into a megaphone.
2 weeks ago i was in the cheshire area driving behind a Gallardo and a MKII Cavalier 1.6i. I wound my window down to enjoy the musical notes of the Lambo pulling off only to realise i couldn't hear the Lambo at all..... The rust bucket Cavalier had the biggest exhaust i've ever seen and totally drowned out the Lambo. Enraged.

Anyway, i'd say fashion is more related to car styling e.g. anthracite wheels, tints etc. Driving around with your lights on full beam in the day is simply a statement of your intelligence!

I only find loud exhausts pleasant in a track environment.
We've had this argument before, but I don't see the difference between a young lad putting a loud exhaust on his Saxo and someone else putting one on their A3.
One has a fatter wallet, they're both eejits.

I dont mind these exhaust systems that tend to sound pretty much like standard when pootling around. Its the ones that you can hear coming for a mile beforehand that get on my nerves.

I mentioned Saxos as they seem to be the weapon of choice for the ridiculously loud exhausts.

As much as i love the roar of a V8, there is a guy with an Aston AMV8 just down from where i work and he boots it up and down the road at least 3-4 times a day.
It's lovely at first but CHRIST it's loud and i must admit when you're not in the mood for it..... It wears a bit thin.

I drive with my xenons on 24/7, you are visible and it has the advantage of people moving out of your way when you are approaching fast!!

I drive with my xenons on 24/7, you are visible and it has the advantage of people moving out of your way when you are approaching fast!!

I was once stopped and warned by the coppers, for flashing my headlights at a fast lane hogger on the motorway.
Not repeatedly flashing, just a quick one or two.
They said they could charge me with "aggressive driving".

I was once stopped and warned by the coppers, for flashing my headlights at a fast lane hogger on the motorway.
Not repeatedly flashing, just a quick one or two.
They said they could charge me with "aggressive driving".

Are you an aggressive driver Bowfer? Do you go up people's ***** while flashing at the same time???

:p

I only use my Xenons when needed...like when gets dark.

I do have my DLRs all the time though... I think helps others notice I am there, especially in motorways..

Pedro

I think DRLs just annoy other drivers - its the sort of thing which stops people wanting to let you out at junctions.

Its summer. Unless its dark there is no need for lights to be on at all. You wouldn't take a torch to the supermarket would you ?

Hey, if you're happy driving around with your loud exhaust, it stands to reason you don't care about other people.
So I'm surprised my comments bother you.

Just out of interest, do you feel the same about all loud exhaust regardless of the car they are on?

For example a Tubi exhaust on an RS4 or Ferrari? - They are loud as hell but offer real world performance gains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVRRSW1QrA

Tubi is chav mate have you not heard???

**Driving around with your lights on full beam in the day is simply a statement of your intelligence!**

Some intelligent engineers at Volvo beg to differ...

If conditions get overcast, that's when I switch my xenons on, if it's sunny or clear I don't bother, it just makes you look like a bit of a fanny if you do.

as a general rule I keep my headlights on all the time so everyone can see me nice and easy. Some woman pulled out of a junction and hit me in my A3 because she didn't notice me, I'm certain she would have noticed me if I had my headlights on, it was overcast though.

i didn't realise people turned their headlights on to pose! Sounds ridiculous, are you sure it's not part of Turkeys highway code or somthing?

Seeing alot of that around the Croydon area too. Many driving with there lights on (Xenon'ed)

How irritating. Thank God I'm a long way from Croydon. Don't see it much up here at all - DRLs on maybe 1 out of every 20 Audis but never Xenons during the day. You'd get taken away in the sunshine bus for that up here.