Just Bluefin'ed...couple of q's

billybuds

Reaction score
My bluefin arrived this morning, uploaded the original settings, and got a text about 2 hours later saying the remap was ready for download. So far so good.

Got home from work (a little early due to *cough cough* there being a small emergency :whistle2:) after installing it and taking it for a drive, I thought it was good, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Anyway, just before I installed it, I filled up with fuel (2 miles from my house) When I started the engine, the fuel guage showed 3/4 full. Wierd I thought. Then over the 30-40 min drive, it slowly crept back up to full, so I was wondering if this was an effect of the chip, or if this was normal?

Secondly I can't seem to access the diognostic page on the handset, does this only show up if a fault has been registered?

Cheers guys

I filled up before right to the brim , but when i got back in the car it was just over 3/4 full, it never crept back up though.

p

Haven't noticed anything like this with mine but I installed mine with the tank about a quarter full I think.

The effects were instantly recognisable too with quite savage thrust at 3000 rpm. Dunno if the map affects different cars in different ways but half the people on this site seem underwhelmed by Bluefin and others overwhelmed by it. I've experienced loads of cars with remaps and this is one of the best (at least how it feels on my car).

Weird

Haven't noticed anything like this with mine but I installed mine with the tank about a quarter full I think.

The effects were instantly recognisable too with quite savage thrust at 3000 rpm. Dunno if the map affects different cars in different ways but half the people on this site seem underwhelmed by Bluefin and others overwhelmed by it. I've experienced loads of cars with remaps and this is one of the best (at least how it feels on my car).

Weird

Agree there is a definate split in opinions/experiences, hope Im one the overwelmed!
What car do you have ?

cheers
Paul

S3 - 57 plate. It was great before but the extra noise (turbo and exhaust) and extra shove in the back at 3-4k are a delight. See the thread with simon-s3's review in it. My experience is exactly the same as his - also an S3.

Maybe some of the less enthusiastic reviews are about non S3 models ?

I find that when i catch the revs just right with the turbo ready to go The thrust is awesome even as standard. I love relaxing my back, planting it and just sinking into the back of the seat :racer:

Still not quite the shove my friends M3 gives, thats just sick ;)

S3 - 57 plate. It was great before but the extra noise (turbo and exhaust) and extra shove in the back at 3-4k are a delight. See the thread with simon-s3's review in it. My experience is exactly the same as his - also an S3.

Maybe some of the less enthusiastic reviews are about non S3 models ?

Cheers, think I will go the Bluefin route next month.

paul

Theres a guy on here who even exercised the 7 day money back policy because his car just didnt seem to respond as he had expected.

There certainly seems to be a lack consistency and Im amazed a Superchips representative hasnt come on this forum yet to give their account of the situation.

Theres a guy on here who even exercised the 7 day money back policy because his car just didnt seem to respond as he had expected.

There certainly seems to be a lack consistency and Im amazed a Superchips representative hasnt come on this forum yet to give their account of the situation.

That'll be me!

Somebody Jonny B had the Superchips didn't rate it , went for the GIAC 310bhp map and loved it! somebody else had the Superchips map , but wanted more , went for the GIAC Hammer map and didn't think it was that good!

TBH i think most of it stems from the fact not many of the remapped lads have got RR plots for a rough guide to what there cars putting out Std before they spend money on a remap.....and even then they still haven't had it RR'd after!

Ive got two ( and another one the way ) RR plots of my Std car , so i roughly know what my cars pushing in Std foarm...it makes sense to me.

p

I also had to send back the bluefin, but in my case we did not notice difference at all (the car performed same same as stock, compared to another S3). Also, the CEL light would blink (misfire code stored in the ECU).

I think in our case maybe our fuel is a litlte less quality so that caused the CEL light, in our case there was a little more push or it felt faster between 3000 and 4000 rpm.

The fuel issue, our car had the same problem! There was 1/4 fuel in the tank, and first after remapping, it showed NO FUEL at all! Then, it came back to normal after 10 kms.

Hope this helps

That'll be me!

Result.
So what is SC theory on this?

I had REVO Stage1 previously on a Golf Gti 200ps and the difference was night and day.
I cant see how anyone can get in their car after it has just gained such a significant increase in bhp and torque and not think there was much difference, unless there simply were very little gains.

Surely these guys who havnt noticed much difference mustnt have had the full gains from the remap? implying an issue with particular cars or maps?

I really want to go the Bluefin route because its looks very good VFM and SC are reputable veterans of the tuning game, but there seems so much inconsistency you just wouldnt expect from a generic map.:think:

Cheers

Paul

Somebody Jonny B had the Superchips didn't rate it , went for the GIAC 310bhp map and loved it! somebody else had the Superchips map , but wanted more , went for the GIAC Hammer map and didn't think it was that good!

TBH i think most of it stems from the fact not many of the remapped lads have got RR plots for a rough guide to what there cars putting out Std before they spend money on a remap.....and even then they still haven't had it RR'd after!

Ive got two ( and another one the way ) RR plots of my Std car , so i roughly know what my cars pushing in Std foarm...it makes sense to me.

p
Thats a fair point however if your car is making anywhere near the gains that are quoted by the relative tuner (and all are similar) you will notice a significant difference in how it drives, in simple terms its feels like a much faster car, because it is!
If it doesnt feel like a faster car, then it isnt, and there is a problem! And a RR plot will tell the same story Im sure.

cheers
Paul

Thats a fair point however if your car is making anywhere near the gains that are quoted by the relative tuner (and all are similar) you will notice a significant difference in how it drives, in simple terms its feels like a much faster car, because it is!
If it doesnt feel like a faster car, then it isnt, and there is a problem! And a RR plot will tell the same story Im sure.

cheers
Paul

The point i'm trying to make ( without going into it all again ) my car and others are making a significant whack over book figures , i know this because ive been on two rolling roads!

If i hadn't been on a RR and paid £500-600 for a remap and switcher/bluefin i would more than likely be disappointed.

As it stands now i would gain 15-20bhp and 10-15lbft ( although the peak torque will come in sooner and last longer after a map ) thats not the 50bhp and 70lbft i was expecting/paid for.

p

My previous 3.2 A3 was 247bhp (this was verified by RR). My S3 in standard, unchipped form felt quicker (and lighter) but not hugely so - which leads me to believe that it was pretty much the 260bhp quoted as factory standard output.

I've not had my S3 RR'd (yet - see you in Stockport on the 28th June Phantom) but I've every confidence the Bluefin has increased it by the 42bhp it promises.

Phantom is absolutely right - its the apparent variability in the STANDARD car outputs which causes these differences of opinion. I'm raving about my Bluefin because I'm experiencing the full uplift . . .

Mine was 262BHP std and 306BHP mapped, suffice to say I noticed a big difference. My Torque also went up by 90Nm and kicked in earlier. So in my case £ per BHP/Nm was worth it. I can fully see how others would not be as happy if they are fortunate enough to have figure far above "quoted" stock in the first place.

I still don't understand, with such close engineering tolerances these days how they can vary by such a large amont as standard though, but, hey, if you got it, flaunt it :superman: you just wont get the same "wow" factor I and some others got with cars that were closer to "stock" figures as standard.

Mine was 262BHP std and 306BHP mapped, suffice to say I noticed a big difference. My Torque also went up by 90Nm and kicked in earlier. So in my case £ per BHP/Nm was worth it. I can fully see how others would not be as happy if they are fortunate enough to have figure far above "quoted" stock in the first place.

I still don't understand, with such close engineering tolerances these days how they can vary by such a large amont as standard though, but, hey, if you got it, flaunt it :superman: you just wont get the same "wow" factor I and some others got with cars that were closer to "stock" figures as standard.

You got value for money Simon , and noticed and got the gains quoted by the tuners , so in your case it's deffo money well spent!

The only thing i can think of why some cars are making above book figures is , how they were run in , fuel used , how there driven day to day.

I give my car a thrashing everyday ( i don't thrash it all day ) once FULLY WARM and it loves it! it stretches the engine IMHO.

p

You got value for money Simon , and noticed and got the gains quoted by the tuners , so in your case it's deffo money well spent!

The only thing i can think of why some cars are making above book figures is , how they were run in , fuel used , how there driven day to day.

I give my car a thrashing everyday ( i don't thrash it all day ) once FULLY WARM and it loves it! it stretches the engine IMHO.

p

My car had 6500 miles on it when I got it, but since then it has never seen any fuel other than Shell V-Power. Also mine still felt a little tight at high revs so I don't think it really got "ragged" before I got it. I drive hard too, but only after oil being upto at least 80 degrees. It became much better after 1000 miles of my driving style before I got it mapped. Now it goes like stink. Still not a patch on 370BHP into two rear wheels, which I had before, but it's definately not slow.

My car had 6500 miles on it when I got it, but since then it has never seen any fuel other than Shell V-Power. Also mine still felt a little tight at high revs so I don't think it really got "ragged" before I got it. I drive hard too, but only after oil being upto at least 80 degrees. It became much better after 1000 miles of my driving style before I got it mapped. Now it goes like stink. Still not a patch on 370BHP into two rear wheels, which I had before, but it's definately not slow.

What was that then?

You'll have to get more mods done to bring it up to speed!:superman:

p

What was that then?

You'll have to get more mods done to bring it up to speed!:superman:

p

Now there's a question:
I had a very rare car (I still havent seen another on since I got mine to the present day)
A Chrysler Crossfire...SRT6 (the last bit is what makes all the difference)
3.2L V6 AMG supercharged engine producing 350BHP standard. With twin K&N's fitted and the AMG SL55 supercharger intakes modded to fit, it pushes out 370BHP.
0-100 in 10.5 secs
0-60 in 4.7
80-100 in 3.2 secs
It's basically a Mercedes SL32AMG with an American body design. Although the handling is better than AMG got out of the SL32. It was built for 1 year only on the Mercedes line in Germany alonside the SLK line. 65% of the car is built with Mercedes parts (all stamped up too) and only 2900 were ever made, 2000 Coupe & 900 Convertibles.

Over the standard Crossfire (apart from the engine) was:
Uprated & lower suspension
Reinforced chassis
Uprated brake calipers and discs
Large, fixed rear spoiler
uprated transmission

If you ever meet someone who has on, get a run out in it they are awsome. I only sold mine because the inlaws were not able to get in the passenger seat anymore, so had to get something more "normal". I miss the power soooooo much.

I used to have a Subaru Impreza MY05 WRX STI with Prodrive upgrade (305 BHP) but it wasn't anywhere near as exciting to drive as the SRT6

Them sort of times you could get with 350bhp worth of mods on the S3, may not be as fun though!

Sounds like some machine , i think i would have got a run a bout the ferry the OUTLAWS around!

p

Them sort of times you could get with 350bhp worth of mods on the S3, may not be as fun though!

Sounds like some machine , i think i would have got a run a bout the ferry the OUTLAWS around!

p

couldn't justify a 3rd car as I only have 2 parking spaces, also the cost etc. I do miss that power delivery so much :crying:

Did evryones turbo make a loud noise before remapping?

Mine is very vocal with the drivers window open and goes like stink in standard form?

Had it from new and only ran on v-power.

Never took it above 5.5k revs until around 1k miles.

The point i'm trying to make ( without going into it all again ) my car and others are making a significant whack over book figures , i know this because ive been on two rolling roads!

If i hadn't been on a RR and paid £500-600 for a remap and switcher/bluefin i would more than likely be disappointed.

As it stands now i would gain 15-20bhp and 10-15lbft ( although the peak torque will come in sooner and last longer after a map ) thats not the 50bhp and 70lbft i was expecting/paid for.

p

Ok, didnt pick up this point previously.
And I would agree that if your car is making higher than std figures then the gains from a remap are less...etc

Ive not done a RR but my car doesnt feel massively quicker than my previous REVOd MK5Golf (which REVO claim 250bhp for). On that basis I would guess its making the factory 265bhp but certainly no more than that.

So, I reckon I should see some decent gains from a remap and all the more reason to do it, fingers crossed.

Still cant get my head around cars making so much more than std, but if you have a car that does then good luck, youve certainly scored!

Out of interest, has anyone done a before and after remap on the same day/same RR/same conditions etc, when the original run showed the car running well over std figures?

Cheers
Paul

Result.
So what is SC theory on this?

I had REVO Stage1 previously on a Golf Gti 200ps and the difference was night and day.
I cant see how anyone can get in their car after it has just gained such a significant increase in bhp and torque and not think there was much difference, unless there simply were very little gains.

Surely these guys who havnt noticed much difference mustnt have had the full gains from the remap? implying an issue with particular cars or maps?

I really want to go the Bluefin route because its looks very good VFM and SC are reputable veterans of the tuning game, but there seems so much inconsistency you just wouldnt expect from a generic map.:think:

Cheers

Paul

Sorry been on holiday for a week!

Was simply not the ooomph I was expecting. So, given the [potential] warranty issues, insurance, the nagging doubt in my mind that I have "fiddled" around with an already highly strung turboed engine, for me, it wasn't worth it! Would like to point out though, SC were first class.