Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224

    Which tyres for the S3 ?

    Anyone got any tips / experiences on different tyres for the S3 ? Mine came with Conti SportContact 2s which I murdered in just 8,700 miles from new (3 track days saw them off). They were brilliant.

    Have just replaced with Michelin Pilots - harder wearing, more expensive but I don't think they're as good. Car is heavier to turn in fast corners and a bit juddery on long motorway stints.

    Wish I'd stuck with the Contis now - unless anyone has any better tips ? I've got the standard 18" S3 wheels.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,538
    I have Pirelli PZero Rosso 245/40/18s on my car and find them very good. Plenty of grip and little road noise. I had the same in 17s on my last A3 and thought they were good too.

    No doubt others will have their own opinions.

  4. #3
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Anyone got any tips / experiences on different tyres for the S3 ? Mine came with Conti SportContact 2s which I murdered in just 8,700 miles from new (3 track days saw them off). They were brilliant.

    Have just replaced with Michelin Pilots - harder wearing, more expensive but I don't think they're as good. Car is heavier to turn in fast corners and a bit juddery on long motorway stints.

    Wish I'd stuck with the Contis now - unless anyone has any better tips ? I've got the standard 18" S3 wheels.
    8,700 miles inc 3 track days is decent going IMHO ( one of them was at the Ring as well )

    Very long story , but i have the Conti sportcontact 3 on the front and the Michelin pilots on the rear.

    I have a bit of road noise on bad tarmac , but i'm lowerd , i quite like the grippy pilots on the rear and the contact 3 on the front though!

    Have you tride putting a bit more air in the rears? i'm on 39 psi front 36 psi rear , it's firm with being lowerd , but it reacts fast for turn in.

    p
    Last edited by phantom; 25th May 2008 at 22:52.

  5. #4
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    I agree - I've no problem with 8,000 miles out of a set of tyres during the summer track season. The Ring trip alone was about 1,800.

    I tend to bang in about 40 psi in all 4 for track use but go down to 33 rear and 36 front for normal everyday use. I'll try putting extra in and see if it improves the turn in with these Michelins. They're definitely not as direct as the Contis.

    At the Ring again last week in June and Oulton Park in July so I may replace again before the winter - won't be going back to Michelins. Contis or maybe P Zeros next time. I think Michelins are designed for a greater lifespan - more value for money etc. But that's not really why you buy an S3 is it ?

  6. #5
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    There's a few tyre threads running, have a search around. I managed 14K out of my original contis, just swopped them for Good Year Eagle Asymmetric. So far it's a nice tyre, but I've only done 200 miles on them....


  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    66

    VREDERSTEIN ULTRAC 225/40/18

    I have vrederstein ultrac 225/40/18

    Very good reports and can buy for sensible money

    Check Rainham Tyres Essex 93.45 each fitted inc VAT

    Rgds Tom

  8. #7
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    I tend to bang in about 40 psi in all 4 for track use but go down to 33 rear and 36 front for normal everyday use. I'll try putting extra in and see if it improves the turn in with these Michelins. They're definitely not as direct as the Contis.
    Should we not be on 39 front , 33 rear for eveyday light load use anyway?

    p

  9. #8
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Should we not be on 39 front , 33 rear for eveyday light load use anyway?

    You're right. Whereabouts in Manchester are you - I think we have exactly the same car ! Anywhere near Sale ?

    p
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIA3QS View Post
    I have vrederstein ultrac 225/40/18

    Very good reports and can buy for sensible money

    Check Rainham Tyres Essex 93.45 each fitted inc VAT

    Rgds Tom
    evo Magazine did a review on tyres not long ago and raved about these - but my local independent garage struggled to source them and Kwik Fit looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned them. I didn't search any harder than that but they didn't seem too readily available. Maybe because people can't pronounce it !

  10. #9
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    You're right. Whereabouts in Manchester are you - I think we have exactly the same car ! Anywhere near Sale ?

    I'm in Stockport mate , do ypu want to come to out RR day at Prosport in Stockport on the 28th June?

    p

  11. #10
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Well up for that. Send me the details and I'll see you there - you can check out the notchiness in my car's gearshift while we're there. Only joined the site a couple of weeks ago so not well up on the meets etc. Thanks for the tip.

  12. #11
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Well up for that. Send me the details and I'll see you there - you can check out the notchiness in my car's gearshift while we're there. Only joined the site a couple of weeks ago so not well up on the meets etc. Thanks for the tip.
    Here you go mate , the threads in the meets and events section!

    Prosport Rolling Road day

    p

  13. #12
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Mine are in need of change I go for Michelin Pilot or Yokos...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  14. #13
    S3-N's Avatar
    ?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    263
    EVO Magazine 2007 Tyre Test
    They scored each tyre in 5 categories - wet handling, aqua planing, braking, dry handling and a road test to judge comfort. They also back up the raw time data with subjective reviews on how the tyres felt which counted for 40% of the score.
    The results:
    1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
    2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
    3) Continental Contisport Contact 3
    4) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
    5) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    6) Pirelli PZero Nero
    7) Kumho Ecsta STP KU31
    8) Dunlop Sport Maxx
    9) Yokohama S.Drive

    The 2007 Autocar tyre test
    The tyres on test were (in overall results order):
    1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
    2) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    3) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
    4) Continental Contisport Contact 3
    5) Pirelli PZero Nero / Rosso

    all copied from here
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-tyre-test.htm
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

  15. #14
    On Boost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,756
    ^^^^^So taking the best from each test the Goodyears are out in front , then it's a toss up between the Conti's and the Mich pilots , as the Conti's are cheaper than the pilots , then second place should go to them.

    p

  16. #15
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    That test is very well... a shame they test the best tires of some brands against normal tires from other... for instance they should have put the Yokos Advan Sport to compete against Pilot or Bridgestone Potenzas... just an example...

    I am going for the Advan Sport for sure...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  17. #16
    L60N
    Guest
    Michelin Exalto's on mine, they feel sweet, nice and grippy too

    Review:

    Drawing inspiration from WRC (World Rally Championship) tyre designs, the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 tyre was created for consumers who demand crisp and responsive handling in both wet and dry conditions. A descendent of the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, the Pilot Exalto PE2 tyre features LMA (Life Maximized Adherence) tread compounding. This technology helps sustain handling and grip throughout the tyre's life.

  18. #17
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,354
    Good to find this thread here....

    My S3 is fitted with the standard Bridgestone RE050s and what I've found seems to fit well with that Evo review.

    Good dry grip,but pretty poor on wet surfaces with little warning that they're about to slip.

    Looks like the Goodyear F1 as soon as these have had a bit of wear.

  19. #18
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Good to find this thread here....

    My S3 is fitted with the standard Bridgestone RE050s and what I've found seems to fit well with that Evo review.

    Good dry grip,but pretty poor on wet surfaces with little warning that they're about to slip.

    Looks like the Goodyear F1 as soon as these have had a bit of wear.
    Having 2 Goodyear Eagles fitted today by a mobile tyre mechanic.
    260 all in.

    Ended up with these as he couldnt get a hold of the oem Bridgestones, which were 250.

    Paul

  20. #19
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Having 2 Goodyear Eagles fitted today by a mobile tyre mechanic.
    260 all in.

    Ended up with these as he couldnt get a hold of the oem Bridgestones, which were 250.

    Paul
    Hi Paul,

    Please let me know how you get on with them.

  21. #20
    Works 60% the time, Everytime.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,577
    Im thinking Eagle F1's or Uniroyal Rainsports. Totally different but I like the idea of the Rainsports as they are probably the best wet tyre and it does rain alot up here.

    2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

  22. #21
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Hi Paul,

    Please let me know how you get on with them.
    No prob mate.

    Just had them done, will try and bed them in on the way home.

    Reckon 260 all in isnt a bad price neither. Especialy when they come tp you and and fit them at work.

    Cheers
    Paul

  23. #22
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    No prob mate.

    Just had them done, will try and bed them in on the way home.

    Reckon 260 all in isnt a bad price neither. Especialy when they come tp you and and fit them at work.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Thanks Paul.....that's a good price all in.

    Does come to nearly 600 for 4 though!.....given the wear rate on these horrid Bridgestones and how much I distrust them in the wet,it may be coming soon.

  24. #23
    kaz219's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Liverpool Uni
    Posts
    1,796
    Kumhos came 7th ??

    I thought they were budget tyres (well..thats what i thought when i put them on my Golf).

    They were only 100 a tyre fitted for 235.35.19 :S
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

    For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

  25. #24
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    291
    I've just fitted some 19's on my car, they were oli's old MTM's and they have come with goodyear assymetrics and they are a very good tyre, I've used ps2's and cont2's and the goodyears are as good if not better.


    08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

  26. #25
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    Kumhos came 7th ??

    I thought they were budget tyres (well..thats what i thought when i put them on my Golf).

    They were only 100 a tyre fitted for 235.35.19 :S
    The Kumhos are very good value even if not as grippy as the best.
    My son has a set of those on his MG and they last well and have pretty adequate grip for the price.

  27. #26
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCharlie View Post
    I've just fitted some 19's on my car, they were oli's old MTM's and they have come with goodyear assymetrics and they are a very good tyre, I've used ps2's and cont2's and the goodyears are as good if not better.
    Nice car and nice wheels.....those look excellent in black,and obviously another vote for the Goodyears.

    Thanks.

  28. #27
    Cali's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    134
    I have had Avon ZZ3 on my A4 QTS for - well 3 lots (245x40x18)
    Good grip in the wet and dry
    Low road noise
    Wear well
    Nice looking tread pattern
    Oh and reasonable price

    Vrederstein are available at Pem Tryes Wigan (think my next choice for my A3 2.0 TDI S-line Quattro)

  29. #28
    Cali's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    134

    Vrederstein Ultrac

    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    evo Magazine did a review on tyres not long ago and raved about these - but my local independent garage struggled to source them and Kwik Fit looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned them. I didn't search any harder than that but they didn't seem too readily available. Maybe because people can't pronounce it !
    Pem Tyres in Wigan

    Which Report - Good write ups

  30. #29
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I have had Avon ZZ3 on my A4 QTS for - well 3 lots (245x40x18)
    Good grip in the wet and dry
    Low road noise
    Wear well
    Nice looking tread pattern
    Oh and reasonable price
    Had these on my CTR, very good alround, lasted well and excellent VFM.

  31. #30
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Blackcircles have just put Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics on offer for 118 each fitted inc. VAT!

    In fact they have Yokos starting at 88 for 18".

    Worth a look.

    http://www.blackcircles.com/

    They use local mobile fitters, so you can order and pay online and the fitter turns up at work/home and fits them. Dead easy.

    Paul

  32. #31
    Cali's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    134

  33. #32
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    the goodyears are superb, and competitively priced
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  34. #33
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    255
    Im running goodyear eagle f1 aysammetrics too and there **** hot once there run in, which seems to take longer than alot of other tyres.
    Heres a link to my local tyre shop too which are doing them for 97.50 each...

    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...d=m4b772s134p0

  35. #34
    markwiggy's Avatar
    Third Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,124
    Thats a good price, just had 2 fitted on the rear this morning paid 120 each fitted and balanced. Now running them all round, the rear conti's were shot (16k) been running GY up front for the last 5k so looking forward to the extra grip once the new rears are scrubbed in.

    Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

  36. #35
    dollface's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    33
    i fitted Continental Contisport Contact 3 because i notice alot of the audi rs4 had them on and very happy the grip is great in wet and handling is better worth every penny . i get them from a warehouse tyre place where i live ( for dealers but they dont have problem letting me get some lol ) continental sport 2 are about same not anything in it for 400 for set of 4 is good price

  37. #36
    S3 Big Andy's Avatar
    Stealth Beast Baby Yay

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bramley Hants
    Posts
    707
    I now run Yoko Parada spec 2's all round and love um!!!!
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk





  38. #37
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Big Andy View Post
    I now run Yoko Parada spec 2's all round and love um!!!!
    What are those like in the wet?

    Previous Yokos I've had were great on dry roads and a bit slippery in the wet.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO