Quick Phone Question

billybuds

Reaction score
Picked up my S3 from the dealers yesterdeay, absolutley love it. Already gone through a tank and a half of fuel!

Just a quick question regarding the phone on the RNS-E, got the phone to pair perfectly. And if I recieve a call, the name comes up on the screen and I can answer no problem, and if I scroll through my phone book using my MFSW again no problem. But if I press the 'tel' button on the unit, a welcome screen appears, saying 'note, when you recieve a call the following options can be selected etc etc' but for the life of me I can't get off that screen to access the phone functions, any ideas?

Also, as a side note, can anyone get to voice recognition system to work?

Cheers

Picked up my S3 from the dealers yesterdeay, absolutley love it. Already gone through a tank and a half of fuel!

Just a quick question regarding the phone on the RNS-E, got the phone to pair perfectly. And if I recieve a call, the name comes up on the screen and I can answer no problem, and if I scroll through my phone book using my MFSW again no problem. But if I press the 'tel' button on the unit, a welcome screen appears, saying 'note, when you recieve a call the following options can be selected etc etc' but for the life of me I can't get off that screen to access the phone functions, any ideas?

Also, as a side note, can anyone get to voice recognition system to work?

Cheers

I don't know the answer to your question mate , i don't have RNS-E somebody will be along in a min to sort you out!

A tank and a half of fuel??????????? :) how does it compaire to your old e46 M3 then?

p

The phone unit is what you are controlling from the MFSW, not the RNS-E. What happens when you pair the phone is your numbers are transferred to a phone unit and you can only scroll through that on the DIS (dash) . Pressing the talk button operates the voice command (which works quite well). Just press the button and say 'dial number' then say the digits (in blocks of 3 or 4) then say 'dial' and it should work.
Pressing 'tel' on the rns should bring up this screen..
DSC00048.jpg

you can then use the rns to enter the number if you prefer or use the rns to access the phonebook...

yeah, Im surprised at how well the voice dialling works... its pretty sweet. I need to get me some mini screen RNS-E action.

Thanks for that, but when I push the tel button that screen doesn't come up, i will try and upload a photo and show what screen is showing.

Very different to the M3, but I do prefer the S3, obviously not as quick, that speed isn't everything!

Thanks for that, but when I push the tel button that screen doesn't come up, i will try and upload a photo and show what screen is showing.
Your phone module has been coded incorrectly.

Currently it's probably coded 00722, it should be coded 10722.

Thanks Dave,

What exactly does that mean? I'm guessing it's a trip to the dealers job?

Thanks for the offer Mitch, but I'm the other end of the country, Oxford. Should I not be able to get this done free of charge?

Yes, your delaer should have sorted this for you if your car was new and came with the phone interface already fitted.

Get them to sort it!

Right, thought I'd update you as to what has happened about this issue.

Being the lazy git that I am I have only just managed to take it to the dealers to sort the problem out today!!

When I left the car, I told the service department that I suspected that the phone unit had been coded incorrectly, should be 10722 (Thanks Dave!) They said they would look into it but, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. That was 9AM this morning, I didn't hear anything from them till 4 this afternoon. They said there was a few problems and it would be best to come in for a chat.

So expecting the worse, I returned to the dealers! The sevice manager came over to talk to me, and firstly said the the rns-e unit was faulty which is what was causing the problem. So I said that I assumed that would be covered under warranty. He then said that they had checked the spec of the car whe new and it was not supplied with the nav unit, and hence was not covered under the warranty. I find this hard to believe as I bought the car as it was described to me an ex-demo. (Not from the garage I was having the work done though)

Obviously first thing tomorrow I will be ringing the garage that I bought the car from and see what is going on. As I can't believe an Audi Ex-Demo would have Sat Nav retro fitted, and according to the guy working on it today, it was not a great job, and had the radio code hand written on the back of the unit!! All sounds a little bit dodgy to me!

But back to the phone issue, Im not that technically minded but it doesn't sound to me like it's an rns-e issue, but what do you guys think?

Sounds about right that it was the RNS-E and not the phone module that is at fault.

You would get that message if your RNS-E phone option was coded to 0xxx6xx and not 0xxx7xx.

So the RNS-E being faulty may be showing this symptom, or the dealers don't know what the correct settings should be.

Billy, Craig definitely knows more than the dealer on this one so I would take his advice - he sorted out mine for me with all the coding (thanks Craig!)

Sounds much more likely that they retrofitted it and didn't code it properly.

Ive got a hunch here.

The unit is not faulty, it is indeed coded incorrectly, but they CBA to do it for nowt so thrown the "its faulty adn not covered under warranty" at you.

Probably as they felt you tried to pull the wool over thier eyes.

Let me know how you get on, ive got the same screen as you :)

That is what I Was traying to imply, the dealer has blamed the RNS-E as they cant fix it with a recode or don't know how to.

Its definitely a coding issue as PD & Craig have said, its been very common for the dealers to not code them correctly & many times on here people have had this & it has always been coding, find someone local with vag & get it coded correctly, I would say if its aftermarket retro whoever fitted maybe didnt code correctly aswell, stealers are officially useless, they never listen to the consumers for faults & always go in at the deep end, simple coding takes 2 minutes, why didnt they do this, thankgod for ASport huh guys!!!!!

Also now you have your S3 go grab the genuine vag kit & do it yourself, delivered next day from UK resellers so you could try yourself tomorrow huh & we are all here to help aswell.

www.gendan.co.uk

Anyone round Oxford with VAG-com, might be few beers in it for you :beerchug:

have you? Damn, i forgot about that, my fault. Text me and we can sort a time for me to fix it for you

Hehe, no worries right now Lee, Im going to let you have some time off on good behaviour, besides, I can still dial out from the steering wheel too :)

Although I dont mind coming round and building lighthouses again :rockwoot:I miss civils :)

Anyone round Oxford with VAG-com, might be few beers in it for you :beerchug:

If you can afford the S3 then go buy the vagcom kit from www.gendan.co.uk & you would have it tomorrow, dont be a tight **** now you have your nice car :) you wont have a single day of regret buying the authentic kit as have full access to all modules, new versions & support to date has been free.