Magnetic Dampers

crazylegscrane

Reaction score
Put a deposit down on a facelift S3 and I'm thinking about adding the magnetic dampers to the package but do they give a improvement over the standard dampers when on or do they just allow a softer ride when off????:confused:

Audi's magnetic dampeners are based on their sports suspension, it lets u choose between comfort mode for a less kidney punching ride or sports mode for when you want a firmer more controlled ride.

Ask to test drive a TT with the option if you are curious about it before you add it on as an option to see if you like it.

Alot of the motoring magazines have stated that unless you push REALLY hard then you cant notice the difference with them.

I have just ordered another S3 (facelift 09) and the dealer told me not to bother also, cant be that impressive!

I can speak from a TT perspective and the mag ride is good but not worth the money unless you push the car hard on B roads or track days..
It works well but how often you would use it is kind of dependant on the way and where you drive..

If it allows the car to sit low (like the sport or s-line) but still be comfortable I would take it. I think Audi have gone overboard with hard suspensions the couple of years. How often do you really need F1 style suspension in a daily driver? Be honest, the main reason for buying a Sport or S-line is not the handling but the stance... we want our cars to look good. A proper handling, low sitting, suspension does not need to be as rock hard as in an Audi. I am hoping mag ride will give us the best of both worlds.

Then why not save a packet and just buy some lowering springs?

I did with my S3, £180 sorted it with H + R ones and it looks very good.

Because just lowering springs won't increase the comfort. I am not looking to make the car lower, but I'm looking for more comfort while maintaining the same height.

Went down and had a chat with my local dealer and he told me that you get a softer ride when you are not using the magnetic dampers and when you turn them on a control unit applies a voltage to each damper to magnetise the iron filings in each damper which stiffens up the ride. The system has a control unit which can sense the load when you corner/accelerate/brake and can sends an increased voltage to the dampers under load which stiffens them up more.

But he told me unless you live out of town and do a lot of fast road driving its not really worth it, I'm still undecided as it sounds like a nice option. He gave me a copy of the option list for the facelift models and on there the price is 'TBC' but the dealer reckons it should be in line with other models at £1150.

So I don't know if it's really worth it, I might spend the money on some other options

It all sounds very clever, but a bit rough and ready.
In magnetically thickening the fluid, they're just 'hydraulically locking' the shocks.
I would assume (hope) all the seals have been built to cope with the increase in pressure.
Instead of what is effectively a very clever 'bodge', just give people the option of properly adjustable suspension!
One can happily adjust a bike from road to track settings in seconds, with a tuppence ha'penny screwdriver.