Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    GlasgowRangersFC

Status

1.4TFSi to Cooper S JCW GP

After only 4 months I'm thinking of changing my car to the Cooper S.

What do you think?
    Last edited by GlasgowRangers; 24th May 2008 at 17:43.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stalled

Status
    My colleague has a Cooper S, the engine is plenty powerful for such a small car and has plenty of 'Go' in the acceleration.

The interior imo wasnt the best I seen tho, especially the giant dial in the middle dash it looks like someone just hung a wall clock there. It is also quite cramp and the boot space isnt the greatest as you'd expect from a Mini, but not everyone mind having a small interior/boot.

What do you like about the Mini just out of curiousity?

4th Gear

Status
    Why this change after only 4 months?
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

On Boost

Status
    If tuning's your thing you can get some decent gains out of the 1.6 turbo engaine!

The S will be more fun/handle better.

I can't think of anything else nice to say about it , the image sours it for me if the truth be told.

p

dbm
    2nd Gear

Status
    My missus has a Mk1 Cooper S and it is a blast. Not as quick as my 3.2DSG in a straight line, but it can sure hustle through the twisty bits.

The interior is plasticy and the boot is indeed tiny (though if there is just two of you it is surprising how much stuff you can get in the back with the seats down). I hate the central speedo, but later cars had an option where you could have a speedo on the steering wheel column - to me that would be essential.

One thing to watch out for - if you have big feet the peddles are quite close together. I find it hard to juggle accelerator and clutch without catching my feet some times, which is very disconcerting when pushing on.

All in all, not as practical or luxurious as an A3, but a whole lot of fun.

Cheers
    Dan

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    After only 4 months I'm thinking of changing my car to the Cooper S.

What do you think?
    Are you coming out?

Turbo is the only way....

Status
    The mini has got the superior handling and the power but an interior for a 4 year old...

The whole image of the new Mini is very boyish and pretentious IMO.
    A3 2.0T Sportback DSG.

Engine / Trans:
    K04, Unitronic Stg II+ & DSG Stg II, S3 Injectors and Intercooler, APR F/Pump. BSH Intake, Forge DV, Oettinger Turbo Outlet, Eurojet throttle pipe, Milltek TBE. SP Meth Injection.

Brakes and Suspension:
    Brembo 6 pot w/ 345mm slotted disks, TT front suspension, HPA Coliovers, OZ Palladio, 225/40/18 BS RE001

Others:
    S3 Front, Pedals, & Mirrors, 09 SB Skirts & LED Rear Lights, Original HID retrofit, Oettinger Roof Spoiler. Defi Turbo Guage, FBMFSW

Status
    i had a mini cooper s back in2003 i kept it for 6 months but would have given it back after 2 weeks... I would have changed it sooner but promised claire i would get her a car before i changed it... The interiors look quite cool but are poorly made, squeak from day one. Blasting down a b road would result in parts of rthe dash falling off. But the new one is much nicer inside, a lot better put together and the materials seem to be of a higher quality. I had one for 4 days when my car went in for repair.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Guys I should have said that the model I'm looking at is the Cooper S GP.

Something along the lines of this.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gp/index.html

http://arabam.e-kolay.net/ikinciel/d...px?sid=1180519

It's only the missus and myself so no need for the rear seats. I have noticed that the A3 is starting to get REALLY common and I haven't seen many of these about. And I'm not a poof.

Bit worried about the build quality but 220bhp sounds like fun in such a wee car.

Opinions?
    Last edited by GlasgowRangers; 24th May 2008 at 17:19.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

5th Gear

Status
    they are a lot of money for a mini, we have 1 on our estate but and my A3 making them just as common
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

1st Gear

Status
    When you said Mini Cooper S I was esp as I was just about to join you as one of the few 1.4TFSi owners, but after seeing you were looking at the GP then to be fair I don't blame you, build quality might not be right up there but with nearly 100BHP more and a very nice interior go for it!

Being a GP the ride might be quite harsh but since you've had a sport with uprated springs probably won't fell much worse, plus its probably easier to park!

I'd of thought the resale would be pretty good esp as its a limited edition one so if in another 4 months realise you don't like it, you won't lose too much!

http://www.mini.co.uk/UK/html/model_...w_gp/main.html

Go for it, and if you do let us know what its like!

Mark
    Audi A3 Sportback 1.4TFSi Sport, Akoya Silver, 18" 5-arm Alloys, Bose Sound

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    I really like the look of this wee thing. Only problem is the wife likes the Audi and I might have a hard time trying to sell her this.

Stalled

Status
    I think it would be a big step forward in terms of performance but a backstep in quality. How does the Mini chassis handle 220bhp though? Putting that much power through that small chassis via 2 wheels seems to be a bit demanding surely?

How much does the Cooper S GP cost in GBP?

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    For the example I was looking at with 4500kms on the clock and a late 2006 model they are asking for 26K Sterling. Expensive.

1st Gear

Status
    Your right that seems quite expensive one on the auto trader on a 56 plate with 4000 mile 18.5k then the one below has only 10 miles on it and is only 25k

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...r=&max_mileage=

Are cars in Turkey usually more expensive than the UK?

You could get an S3 for that kind of price!
    This one is Sprint blue with only 2.5k miles and is 23.5k

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...x_mileage=5000

Mark

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    They are usually MUCH more expensive. Especially when the car goes above 2.0 litres or 200bhp. Crazy tax laws here. The S3 is 70K Euros here. Stuff that.

1st Gear

Status
    Wow 70k euros for an S3 and i thought our cars were overpriced! Guess 26k isn't that bad then!

Mark

2nd Gear

Status

Blue one 230+bhp,red one 210 works

Great fun

1st Gear

Status
    Nooo stop showing Minis that actually look nice your making me start to like the damn things, need to have a word with meself lol

Just found this and remembered why i don't like most of the minis!

A hot chocolate coloured clubman.....

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...r=&max_mileage=

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vanaaken View Post
    Nooo stop showing Minis that actually look nice your making me start to like the damn things, need to have a word with meself lol

Just found this and remembered why i don't like most of the minis!

A hot chocolate coloured clubman.....

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...=&max_mileage=
    I wouldnt buy a new one anyway,prefer the supercharged versions,but they can certainly be made to go and handle cant see my S3 keeping up with my old blue one (except on the motorway)

windsurfer

Status
    I would not trade the A3 for the Mini... sure it is a funky car but interior quality is disastrous.... also a friend of mine had a Mk1 Cooper S and it just drank petrol!!!!!!

In the end it is only a Mini... not worth the price tag... maybe an option as a second or wives car...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    The S3 is 70K Euros here.
    About the same here - maybe 55-60k. The S5 is about 95 grand and an RS4 is about 110 grand. The R8 comes in at about 170,000 too.

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    I have scrubbed this idea. I went to the BMW garage last night and sat in one of them. Total pish is the only way I can describe the inside of it. There is no way I could live with that being my main car. Maybe as a second car but not at that price. The Audi is lightyears ahead in terms of build quality, practicality and looks.

A stupid idea but thanks guys for steering me in the right direction again. My wife nearly fell off her chair when I suggested I sell the Audi for a Mini.

I'll wait for the remap for the 1.4TFSi.

1st Gear

Status
    When you say remap is this from Superchips? If so did they say if it was a europe wide release, just would like this doing myself esp if they release it on Bluefin.

Cheers

Mark

PS Glad your staying with the Audi

Status
    you've made the rifght choice one other thing i didn't mention was the shocking economy on m commute to work. 155 miles round trip, most of which was on the m3 i only averaged low 20's!
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes agree you have made the right choice

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vanaaken View Post
    When you say remap is this from Superchips? If so did they say if it was a europe wide release, just would like this doing myself esp if they release it on Bluefin.

Cheers

Mark

PS Glad your staying with the Audi
    The distributor for Superchips in Istanbul told me that the chip would be available late summer but they couldn't be more specific. I'm not sure if they will do it in Bluefin or not. I'll try to find out and let you know. Just what is the big difference between Bluefin and Superchips though? Aren't they one of the same?

Thanks for the words of encouragement regarding my choice guys. I have just completely convinced myself to stay with athe Audi after a BEAUTIFUL drive in comfort through the Turkish countryside. Lovely day and the car got a LOT of looks as I was driving through town. One of the adavantages of living in a third world country is that there are many nice motors around so mine tends to stick out from the crowd.

Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    Bluefin and superchips are the same company except with superchips its just a remap on your ecu were as bluefin you get a module that you plug into your car and it allows you to switch between std and remap, which would be good for me as mine is a company car so when it goes in for service could do with switching it back to std, I know people say remaps are undetectable but would rather not take the risk lol!

windsurfer

Status
    well remaps are detectable and even if you switch to standard some of them can be detected on the ECU log... there is a log on how many times the ECU has been flashed!!

Some remaps manage not to change that counter, though

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    True, although I have heard that superchips can reset the flash log, if someone can confirm this that would be great!

Mark

Stalled

Status
    I just want to know the figures they are planning for the 1.4T map, I reckon on the region of 150-160bhp would be feasible without suffering from too much turbo lag. The VAG 1.4TSI has already been pushed past the 240bhp area but thats with the aid of a supercharger so it doesnt suffer from turbo lag from low revs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thats not a real Mini its a BMW !

Born to Fish

Status
    Hells bells GlasgowRangers only just read this one Swap an Audi for a Mini Performance yes but the rest is rubbish.

Nice to hear your sticking with the A3. Still quiet on the remap front at the moment over here.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

Turbo is the only way....

Status
    I cant stand the interior of the mini for over 5 minutes... I cannot understand how BMW can go so far into making a "designer" interior. Total crap that ruins an otherwise great car..

Good Choice!! A3 All the way!!
    A3 2.0T Sportback DSG.

Engine / Trans:
    K04, Unitronic Stg II+ & DSG Stg II, S3 Injectors and Intercooler, APR F/Pump. BSH Intake, Forge DV, Oettinger Turbo Outlet, Eurojet throttle pipe, Milltek TBE. SP Meth Injection.

Brakes and Suspension:
    Brembo 6 pot w/ 345mm slotted disks, TT front suspension, HPA Coliovers, OZ Palladio, 225/40/18 BS RE001

Others:
    S3 Front, Pedals, & Mirrors, 09 SB Skirts & LED Rear Lights, Original HID retrofit, Oettinger Roof Spoiler. Defi Turbo Guage, FBMFSW