Seat Frame Failure

bigchewie

Reaction score
I recently got a 54 plate, 3.2 quattro and I took it in to my local stealership too got the recall on the Wiper motor done and to get the wobbly drivers seat checked out(it rocks back to front when accelerating and braking at slow speed).

I had hoped that the wobbly seat business would only be a broken clip, as one had been done previously. But it was worse, the seat frame has broken and the dealers have quoted me £630 plus labour for a new base. I have asked them for a quote and a parts breakdown so i can possibly source the parts elsewhere. My seats have height adjusment, heat and electric lumber support. (3 dr too)

I have two quick questions.

1. Has anyone else had a seat base failure, and how/where did you get the repair carried out? How much did it cost.

2. I've had a look on VAGcat and there are various part numbers for the base, does anyone know if there are many big differences between the frames? and if the frames are interchangeable?. Mainly asking as i may try too source some 2nd had seats and change the frames.

Cheers in advance for any replies/help and advice.

Broken seat..... that is a new one!! I like premium brands...ahah

Jokes apart mate, never heard that I think that seat took some misuses from previous owner.

Pedro

Yeah possibly, the car has reasonably high mileage for its age, 84000 for a 54, so that will contribute a bit.

the guy at the stealership said they had done a few seat frames recently

My sportback had a repair then a replacement drivers seat for the same reason

Yep, just had the same problem myself.
My Grandma decided to slam the seat forward to let a rear passenger out from the rear seats. She is 77 but weighs 12.5 stone so shes not feeble.
Funnily enough it broke and now seat is stuck forward so its almost touching glovebox. Audi looked at it for a day whilst DSG gearbox oil was being changed (£100 for first change at 40k miles, gd price?) and told me it was a broken frame. They need to order it in.
Surely the frames should be more sturdy?

Just back from Audi, the frame needs replaced due to excess wear on the pivot point at the rear of the frame, if you lift the seat to its full height you can see the pivot.

Its not as bad as i thought the frame comes in at £200 so i think i will order a new frame, possibly from vagparts, and have a go at fitting it. the guy at the dealers suggested that I contact a local trimmers to do it. but i will wait and see.