AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 100
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    246

    So the BMW diesels are soooooooooooo superior to Audi's?

    I've read certain people bleating on here about how superior the BMW diesel engines are to the Audi/VW group diesels.

    On the subject of BMW diesel economy, my local dealer (when I looked at a 1 series for the inlaws [honest!!]) warned me not to expect book figures for the mpg and they were advsing customers of this due to the volume of people complaining that the cars they sold were not achieving the stated figures.

    This thread makes for an interesting read regarding BMW diesel engine failures: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/view...er=asc&start=0


    Another reason for me to NOT buy a 3 series rep mobile no matter what its guise.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    Thread of the week.

  4. #3
    thinking about stuff

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    599
    BMW don't have a V12 Diesel, W16 QuadTurbo, V10 BiTurbo, 1.4 turbo+supercharged engines in there parts cupboard. To me they've got nothing to hold a candle to VAG engineering.

    2001 Black RS4 - P11 LCC
    1992 Burgundy Pearl Corrado VR6 - A20 LEE

  5. #4
    sat1983's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    708
    To be fair to BMW they have some fantastic engines- wether it be petrol or diesel and have recently won engine of the year- I think it was the twin turbo diesel seen in the 123d.
    See:http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/categories.html
    As much as I defend VAG engines to death, they have their fare share of problems for some people too- and I do think in terms of power & economy BMW are a step ahead of VAG.
    Still- I not only buy my car for reliability but for style too, and for this, Audi wins (imo of course).
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

    2010 Polo GTI 6R

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Portishead
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by leecs3 View Post
    To me they've got nothing to hold a candle to VAG engineering.
    Perfect fanboy statement.
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.

  7. #6
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Lets be honest, Audi have only just got their game together when it comes to good diesel engines and are finally ploughing some of their vast financial resources into pushing the technology forward.
    Your average man doesn't give a monkeys about bi turbo V10 diesel engines in the lemans car. Lets get real shall we....Just show me a good diesel engine i can spec for MY car. Not ridiculous concept cars and exotica.
    BMW have been way ahead for a good few years but apparently with the new Audi common rail engines there isn't much daylight between them anymore.
    I still won't buy a diesel car at this point as i still don't like the sound although they are so much more refined now. If i did go for a diesel it'd be the BMW 330d coupe. The Audi 3.0TDI unit is a great engine by all accounts....but not quite there yet.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  8. #7
    SteveTDCi's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    1,384
    i'm not a BMW fan but you cannot knock there engines or how they get the right combination of power and emissions from them, having said that I still think Ford engines for the mass market work well.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

    Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

  9. #8
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Audi or VAG diesels where well ahead in the glorious days of the 1.9TDI in all its versions until the 150bhp... These days BMW diesels are among the best you can buy. BMW is one of the only car manufacturers that provides very good mechanics and driver involvement. Great engines no matter what size or fuel. If it wasn't for styling I would have gone BMW long time ago. The only think Audi has better than BMW is the quattro system (torsen or haldex) BMW does have a AWD but I assume it is not refined/developed as the Audi.

    So in fairness yes... BMW has better engineering... But it is true that new generation of engines is good in the VAG world... I would not chose a bmw over an Audi just because of engines or just because 20hp difference for instance...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  10. #9
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983 View Post
    To be fair to BMW they have some fantastic engines- wether it be petrol or diesel and have recently won engine of the year- I think it was the twin turbo diesel seen in the 123d.
    Compared to the VAG PD engines, the BMW diesels are much better in terms of smoothness and refinement, but that is no longer the case with the new VAG common rail engines.

    Auto Express recently did a shootout between the BMW 123D Coupe and the new TT 2.0TDI 170. They noted that the new 170 CR diesel was smooth and refined right from idle to red line, whereas the BMW engine sounded like a bag of spanners at idle !

  11. #10
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    Auto Express recently did a shootout between the BMW 123D Coupe and the new TT 2.0TDI 170. They noted that the new 170 CR diesel was smooth and refined right from idle to red line, whereas the BMW engine sounded like a bag of spanners at idle !
    Yet the 123D engine puts out 34bhp more and produces less Co2.

    Taking pleasure in the fact they say it sounds a bit noisier at idle is clutching at straws of the highest magnitude!

    The simple fact of the matter is that BMW are making superior diesels.
    That's not just my opinion, it's stone cold fact.
    Go compare their power/torque/Co2 figures.

    With regard to mpg, I'm getting more mpg (averaging 45mpg) from my 200bhp BMW diesel than I did from my 140bhp Audi diesel.
    Again, stone cold fact.

    The Audi is quieter at tickover...LOL....whoop-dee-doooo!
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  12. #11
    sat1983's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    708
    The TT is lighter though- and is 0.5 seconds behind the BMW- hardly worth mentionning. And the TT looks miiiiiiiiiiiles better than the BM coupe!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

    2010 Polo GTI 6R

  13. #12
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is that BMW are making superior diesels.
    That's not just my opinion, it's stone cold fact.
    Go compare their power/torque/Co2 figures.
    Not really.
    The 170 is single turbo, and only produces more CO2 because it doesn't use the artificial stop-start manipulation of the figures.

    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    With regard to mpg, I'm getting more mpg (averaging 45mpg) from my 200bhp BMW diesel than I did from my 140bhp Audi diesel.
    Again, not a valid comparison.
    You are comparing a modern CR engine with an ancient PD engine.

    You may not like it, but Audi have caught up !

  14. #13
    Matt's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    1,416
    In an ideal world I would want the economy and emissions levels of the BMW engines with the styling of the Audi.

    But I will settle for less MPG and higher emissions as I prefer Audis styling and interiors.

    Not that I rate Auto Express as being the bible when it comes to road tests but they did rate the TT diesel over the 123d overall.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

  15. #14
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Exactly.... low CO2 figures are there not because engine is better but because of the start stop trickery...

    Audi diesels are as good as BM... PSA group diesels are also very good as are Renault diesels... The latest two might not be the most performance diesels but tech wise they don't really fall short of Audi or BM....

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  16. #15
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    In an ideal world I would want the economy and emissions levels of the BMW engines with the styling of the Audi.
    Ideal world.... engine and chassis of a BMW, gearbox from Honda, design from Alfa and perceived interior quality from Audi!!! Of course at FIAT prices!!!

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  17. #16
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not that I rate Auto Express as being the bible when it comes to road tests but they did rate the TT diesel over the 123d overall.
    Yes indeed.

    Interestingly, Autocar did a recent test of the new Alpina D3 Coupe, which also has the 123D engine. They also commented on how rattly it was.

  18. #17
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    Ideal world.... engine and chassis of a BMW, gearbox from Honda, design from Alfa and perceived interior quality from Audi!!! Of course at FIAT prices!!!

    Pedro
    Nicely said that man!
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  19. #18
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe-se View Post
    I've read certain people bleating on here about how superior the BMW diesel engines are to the Audi/VW group diesels.

    On the subject of BMW diesel economy, my local dealer (when I looked at a 1 series for the inlaws [honest!!]) warned me not to expect book figures for the mpg and they were advsing customers of this due to the volume of people complaining that the cars they sold were not achieving the stated figures.

    This thread makes for an interesting read regarding BMW diesel engine failures: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/view...er=asc&start=0


    Another reason for me to NOT buy a 3 series rep mobile no matter what its guise.
    So how many people on here make book figures for economy? In any of the audi range? Not many guess I would say veryb just do a search on mpg to verify my point.

    Yep there is a common fault with a plastic part of the intake but I'm assuming your only bringing this up as all audi's are 100% reliable? There seems to be quite a few with commond faults, steering racks, knocking suspension, drinking oil... Seems like BMW are not the only one with faults in their cars.

    But nice try at yet another bmw/Audi pissing competition.

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  20. #19
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    In an ideal world I would want the economy and emissions levels of the BMW engines with the styling of the Audi.

    But I will settle for less MPG and higher emissions as I prefer Audis styling and interiors.

    Not that I rate Auto Express as being the bible when it comes to road tests but they did rate the TT diesel over the 123d overall.
    It going to ber a personal thing though isn't it. I dont really bother with these kind of artuicles to get an overall winner. If the writer knows they are going to be sent off to some car launch the following week they are going to rate that marques car higher etc so that they can reap the benefits.

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  21. #20
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    Yes indeed.
    Interestingly, Autocar did a recent test of the new Alpina D3 Coupe, which also has the 123D engine. They also commented on how rattly it was.
    So is that it then?
    Is that all they had to say about it, or have you pretty much picked out the only negative comment you could find, to suit your argument?

    This is what the same magazine had to say about the new A4, fitted with the new CR diesel engine.

    No question, this A4 is an improvement over the old in terms of engine refinement, ride, handling, packaging, fuel economy and feature availability. Yet its hard to avoid concluding that this car is not enough of a step forward over the old A4, especially as Audi has gone to the expense of developing a new platform for it.
    It is not good enough to topple the 3-series.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  22. #21
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    Is there admission fees or should I just get popcorn?

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  23. #22
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    So is that it then?
    Is that all they had to say about it, or have you pretty much picked out the only negative comment you could find, to suit your argument?
    They were pretty underwhelmed by the car, I seem to recall.

  24. #23
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    My mates Astra SRI sounds quieter at idle than my 2.0TFSI quattro. Hmm, sometimes maybe it's best to put up with a little extra tinkle and rattle for a better product?
    Lets not be naive, we all know there's SOOO much more to a car than the engine sound at idle.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  25. #24
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    My mates Astra SRI sounds quieter at idle than my 2.0TFSI quattro. Hmm, sometimes maybe it's best to put up with a little extra tinkle and rattle for a better product?
    Lets not be naive, we all know there's SOOO much more to a car than the engine sound at idle.
    True, but the key point is, that the new Audi diesels are just as good as anything the competition can produce.

  26. #25
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    True, but the key point is, that the new Audi diesels are just as good as anything the competition can produce.
    What criteria?
    As I've already stated several times, and seems to have been conveniently ignored, the new Audi CR diesel is only available with 143bhp, which is pish poor.
    I don't care if it's arguably more refined than a BMW diesel, I wouldn't want to drive a 143bhp A4.
    Would you??
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  27. #26
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    They were pretty underwhelmed by the car, I seem to recall.
    Any chance you could post a link?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  28. #27
    sat1983's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    708
    170 bhp coming to a town near you in a couple of months time.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

    2010 Polo GTI 6R

  29. #28
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    True, but the key point is, that the new Audi diesels are just as good as anything the competition can produce.
    I'm sure they are although had it not been for BMW pushing the boundries of diesel technology in 'real world' road cars, not concept exotica, and to be honest making equivalent Audi units look a bit embarrassing in comparison would Audi have ever got their finger out and pushed on themselves?
    Don't get me wrong, credit to Audi for finally making a good range of diesel engines and catching up with the petrol units....At the prices they charge it should have happened a long time ago though. Why should you charge prestige prices and put an engine in the front which is no better than anything by ford or vauxhall?? When thats the case, the whole 'vorsprung durch technic' thing wears a bit thin. BMW realised that and put their money where their mouth is a long time before Audi.
    Although to be fair VAG were probably putting research funds into the Veyron or the V10 lemans car at the time.... Very useful to the every day car buyer eh?
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  30. #29
    sat1983's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    708
    I can't find an online review of the magazine test, only the TT diesel review

    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...4/audi_tt.html
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

    2010 Polo GTI 6R

  31. #30
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    Is there admission fees or should I just get popcorn?

    Pedro

  32. #31
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983 View Post
    170 bhp coming to a town near you in a couple of months time.
    Again, it's too little, too late.
    BMW have had 143bhp/177bhp diesels available for ages now, in the 3 series.
    143/177/204bhp already available in the 1 series.
    Only a matter of time until the 204bhp twin turbo makes it into the 3 series too, meanin 143/177/204 there too.
    So Audi are, irrefutably, always chasing, rather than taking any leads.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 23rd May 2008 at 12:50.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  33. #32
    I don't care if it's arguably more refined than a BMW diesel, I wouldn't want to drive a 143bhp A4.
    Would you??
    Probably not, but then I wouldn't want to drive an A4 or a BME 3-series anyway. Neither is available with a DSG at the moment!!!. Both cars are aimed at the company car driver and whilst we may think 143bhp is not enough I sure there are many drivers out there would would be more than happy with it. I'm sure to a lot of drivers comfort is much more important than large amounts of bhp, which is why both cars sell so well in the sector they are aimed at.

    I wonder which model sells the most in each range? Probably a fairly modest version. A4 2.0TDI and BMW 320d at a guess.
    Last edited by h5djr; 23rd May 2008 at 12:57.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  34. #33
    TFSI's Avatar
    Born to Fish

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Cheshire
    Posts
    531
    Have a listen to a MAN D26 540 bhp Common Rail and it will put your Audi and BMW Diesels to shame Plus it,s good for over a million K's
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

  35. #34
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post

    But nice try at yet another bmw/Audi pissing competition.

    J.
    The god like status that some attribute to the BMW on here is amusing and here we have plenty of BMW engines going BANG in a big way. Cue Mr Bowfer puffing away nicely at the BMW bandwagon on the Audi forum again, job done!! LOL


    Sorry for expressing an opinion on here, I do realise some of you think you have more right to post and express an opinion than others. Again humble aplologies for poking my nose in your private club.

  36. #35
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    I just find the A4 miserably dull in any guise other than RS4. I've driven one several times including the convertible and it NEVER makes you want to push it and drive quickly. It is a rep mobile...no doubt about it, and now it's even bigger.
    Never mind refining and refining and refining cars...how about make them lively and fun to drive for god sake?!
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  37. #36
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Any chance you could post a link?
    I read the magazine article whilst at the newsagents. However, it may be worth looking through their site at http://www.autocar.co.uk

  38. #37
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe-se View Post
    The god like status that some attribute to the BMW on here is amusing and here we have plenty of BMW engines going BANG in a big way. Cue Mr Bowfer puffing away nicely at the BMW bandwagon on the Audi forum again, job done!! LOL


    Sorry for expressing an opinion on here, I do realise some of you think you have more right to post and express an opinion than others. Again humble aplologies for poking my nose in your private club.
    Mate, no offence but don't whine about it or take offence, if you feel you have a legitimate, correct argument then air it. I'm sure Bowfer and anyone else is enough of a man to conceid when they're wrong and see your point if you have one.
    Thats the beauty of an open forum.

    There's more to a car than just the engine anyway, the 1 series probably has a better range of engines than the A3 anyway (petrol and diesel) but i think the 1 series has a 'poor man's 3 series' image and looks like someone stuck a broom handle up it's arse.... awful looking thing. Therefore it could be technically phenomenal but i'd never touch one. You have to choose with your heart, not your head at some point.

    Paul.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  39. #38
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    1-series is really ****e for price paid!!!! have you close the door? a FIAT sounds much better! I don't care if it has a jet engine!!! Quality of assembly is far miles from my S3. And this is fact!

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  40. #39
    rodenal's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,982
    In regards to the OP - book figures are almost always nonsense and very few people will make the quoted figures with any diesel regardless of manufacturer, so i'm not surprised about that.
    The BMW failures are well documented although BMW have decided to ignore the problem puplicly(although they changed the part in 2004 so it's only pre- 04 cars that are affected.)The actual cars themselves, unfortunately i far prefer any bmw diesel (120d, 320/330d or 530d) to any vag unit.
    The vad tdi's only really make sense in a vw or seat/skoda as they arent asking the same premium as audi, who are running with what is currently a very limited diesel engine range when compared to BMW.
    Even when looking at volkswagen, unfortunately the likes of Ford/Vauxhall have caught up and indeed overtaken on the common rail diesel front.To whoever posted about the astra SRI, the 1.9 120 or 150 - better engine and a better driving car than the 140 in the A3 im afraid, it's just perceived quality getting to you, the materials inside arent bad either, especially considering the cost of the product.
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

    You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

  41. #40
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Probably not, but then I wouldn't want to drive an A4 or a BME 3-series anyway. Neither is available with a DSG at the moment!!!. Both cars are aimed at the company car driver and whilst we may think 143bhp is not enough I sure there are many drivers out there would would be more than happy with it. I'm sure to a lot of drivers comfort is much more important than large amounts of bhp, which is why both cars sell so well in the sector they are aimed at.
    .
    I think that's the problem though, if they are aimed at the company car drivers, Audi have usually missed the trick because of their relatively high Co2 compared to BMW

    I'm with you on DSG though ,although EVO have a review of the new DCT in the BMW M3 - which looks quite promising, lets hope they roll it out across the range

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO