Badger5Sky Insurance
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754

    strange noise from engine

    hi can anyone help once again, switched the car on this afternoon was driving and heard this strange noise like if i metal was rubbing somewhere, i thought something might of got stuck on the tyres, the more faster i went the more the noise, so pulled over checked the tyres but than realised that its from the engine, it was actullay coming from the belts i think, so reved the engine a few times, switched it off on again and the sounds gone, can anyone think what it can be, i was thinking that it may be some dirt or stone on the belt??

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    mcmasman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    152
    Hi khalil, I might have a WILD WILD guess, but let me ask you first, what alloys wheel do you have? RS4's?
    2007 Lava grey A3 2.0 140 TDI Quattro Sportsback
    S-line int/ext, cruise, mfsw, aluminum rails, Xenons+, coming-leaving home, light + rain, parking sensors, hill hold, Bluefin, 18" OEM double 7-spokes RS4 alloys

  4. #3
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
    Hi khalil, I might have a WILD WILD guess, but let me ask you first, what alloys wheel do you have? RS4's?
    i have the 5 spoke rs6, thay are guinune alloys

  5. #4
    mcmasman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    152
    I'll tell you what i had in mind, again, this can be way off...but I thoguht I give it a try since no one has come forth.

    I have RS4 alloys, and often drive through some gravel roads, sometimes (happend to me 5 times in less than one year) small stones get stuck between the brake disk and the "black metal cover". When this happens, I hear a metal grinding noise, surely, the faster I go the more I hear it. The first time when it happened, it sounded like it's from the engine, but I track down the origin quite quickly.

    The stone either get grinded down and falls out, or I had to push the black cover away from the brake disk to lose the stone.

    ... The more I explain, the more I feel this is not what you are experiencing ...
    2007 Lava grey A3 2.0 140 TDI Quattro Sportsback
    S-line int/ext, cruise, mfsw, aluminum rails, Xenons+, coming-leaving home, light + rain, parking sensors, hill hold, Bluefin, 18" OEM double 7-spokes RS4 alloys

  6. #5
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
    I'll tell you what i had in mind, again, this can be way off...but I thoguht I give it a try since no one has come forth.

    I have RS4 alloys, and often drive through some gravel roads, sometimes (happend to me 5 times in less than one year) small stones get stuck between the brake disk and the "black metal cover". When this happens, I hear a metal grinding noise, surely, the faster I go the more I hear it. The first time when it happened, it sounded like it's from the engine, but I track down the origin quite quickly.

    The stone either get grinded down and falls out, or I had to push the black cover away from the brake disk to lose the stone.

    ... The more I explain, the more I feel this is not what you are experiencing ...
    i know exacaly what you trying to say and really thankfull for your input, but the sound is still there when the car is stand still, and the more a rev the car the more the sound, it sounds if something is stuck some where meaning like a stone

  7. #6
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    could it be a ball bearing... from the belt pulleys?

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  8. #7
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    could it be a ball bearing... from the belt pulleys?

    Pedro
    how can i check that mate?? any tips

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    95
    My mate picked up his 05 TDi today and has a similar thing.

    His though sounds like its comming from the fuel pump. Could it be a bearing? Only does it when idling and on very low throttle, under load it dissapears!

    Had a right good listen and I'm certain its comming from that area. Had cambelt done so unlikely tensioner.

    Sounds like metal catching, similar to a bearing but also a bust turbo. Drives sweet though!


  10. #9
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by A3DOL View Post
    My mate picked up his 05 TDi today and has a similar thing.

    His though sounds like its comming from the fuel pump. Could it be a bearing? Only does it when idling and on very low throttle, under load it dissapears!

    Had a right good listen and I'm certain its comming from that area. Had cambelt done so unlikely tensioner.

    Sounds like metal catching, similar to a bearing but also a bust turbo. Drives sweet though!

    hmmm maybe but for some reason that sound is gone now (touch wood)looks like my car is self healing lol, but got the nagging thing back of my head that it might come back, if it was i bearing or turbo problem that noise would be there all the time right??

  11. #10
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    now... fuel pump is a know item to fail... it is inexpensive though...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  12. #11
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    now... fuel pump is a know item to fail... it is inexpensive though...

    Pedro
    would that make that sort of sound i discribed before, but for some reason its gone now so i think it may just been some dirt or stone??

  13. #12
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    I am sorry I meant water pump.... it would made that strange noise yes... I am sure if nothig it is a bearing giving away try to see where the sound comes from...

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    95
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    My mate just called me and his car has stopped! He said driving through village doing 30 and engine make loud 'clunking' noise then stopped. AA on way, doesnt sound good!

    He said the engine wont even turn over now. Is that a safety thing or should it turn over?

    Oh dear, he is not happy. Only got it today!

  15. #14
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    I am sorry I meant water pump.... it would made that strange noise yes... I am sure if nothig it is a bearing giving away try to see where the sound comes from...

    Pedro
    it did sound as if it was coming from the belts, well when i opened the bonnet i was preety sure that it came from the belts,so if the bearing is giving away will the noise bo constent or come on and off at times??the noise as i said before has stopped complety

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO