Audi visit this morning - Rather frustrating

L

L60N

Well as the title says.

Not a happy bunny after meeting with them today.

I have an issue with one of the bucket seats, mainly there is a gimp in the stitching and the leather is heavily creased and the sponge is all lumpy in that particular area.

The first time I told them was after 1000 miles when it was in for its first steering rack. I said I wasnt too happy with the state of one of the bolsters, especially after paying a 1.8k price for them, that i wanted it noting now so there is a history incase it gets worse. I explained that i understood that leather wears but after hardly any miles it looked badly weathered and has done since day one, especially compared to the other 3 bolsters which to this day look fine.. At this point she was very understanding and said "No problem sir, if it becomes a problem for you we'll get the seat changed under warranty.

So now after 5k miles, its gone back for another steering rack. This time whilst in i said I wanted the seat changing, that the passenger seat is showing no signs of wear even though it has had almost the same amount of occupancy time, that despite my efforts to look after the seat the offending area is looking even worse. So the lady responds by rambling on that the seat isnt a warranty item, that i have to go back to where i bought it, and go down the "goodwill" route, which is that the dealer and audi themselves will split the bill at no cost to me. I was a bit angered as this stance is totally different to what she said before!

Anyway, some chap in a suit was pointed to me and came over to have a look. He told me that "We cant do anything at this moment, that there are a few cars with the same issue, and they are currently waiting on a response from audi about what to do. I said "Where does that leave me and all the otehr people"? He said its not a lot of people, just a few, and that he would chase it up with Audi.

Now im really ******, I told him i feel like im being fobbed off, at which point he told me "I'd love to replace it for you, but we would be out of pocket" etc etc.

So now im waiting to hear from him again to see what Audi say..

Failing a good conclusion to this can anybody recommend a good person within Audi to direct my response in writing?? :sign_unfair:

Many thanks

Leon

get a chair...better a nice sofa as response will be maybe next year... So far my buckets are fine, well normal wear and tear but nothing unusual... My steering rack is also fine... Do you guys think might be a RHD issue as mine is LHD?

But althought really nice the bickets because getting out and in of the car is a bit more tricky I will accept some more wear on the bolster on the drivers door side... Crease... well that is part of this kind of leather and seat design... a softer leather would crease less but maybe it would be less durable...

Pedro

There was a post on here about the S3 with swirls in the paintwork & dealer wouldnt pay/sort out but audi uk main man got involved & basically said get it sorted & they will foot the bill, see if you can find it & get the audi main honcho's details & fire an email over to him, he seems to stand up & pay attention & make dealers do **** if customers arent happy, I will look for the thread aswell mate.

For such small number miles the seat is still covered by warranty for gods sake, the whole car is covered for 3 yrs/60k or the warranty extended by the dealer if 2nd user, what a load of ********, also really have a blag about the steering rack issues constantly etc etc lay it on thick cause it should be easily sorted by now mate, when you put pressure they seem to listen, I just shout in the showroom then they do it as they dont want unhappy clients ranting in front of buyers, lol, lol.

Thank god i've never had a run in with Audi over a fault as of yet....Seems to me they have the idea their cars are faultless and anything wrong MUST have been caused by you.
We can bang on all day about car dealers but it really is an industry which badly needs cleaning up and should be far more transparent. Banks get hammered for malpractice and getting away with ripping off customers with their own money subjecting them to hidden charges and small print....Have a look at the motor industry!

Can we have some pics of the wear area?
How often do you get in and out?

@Pedro - I agree totally mate, youve got to expect wear with leather. But where im talking about my body doesnt even come into contact with the seat! Also, it looks shabby, thats my main problem, like its been stored crushed for a LONG time, the sponge is lumpy and the creases deep and defined. Ive got little creases on the bit where u sit, i'd expect that, but this is different. I noticed it the day i picked it up, but was so excited at the time i let that thought go.. :(

@Nigel - Thanks mate, that would be a real help. I'd like to voice my concerns whilst im still a bit emotional. If i dont react now i'll probably wind down after some time and think "******** I cant be *****" when really i should stand up and fight!!

Cheers :D

...Failing a good conclusion to this can anybody recommend a good person within Audi to direct my response in writing?? :sign_unfair:

Try dropping Tom Peterkin (Audi UK - Aftersales & Service Manager) an email at thomas.peterkin@audi.co.uk for some advice if nothing else.

I got in touch with him last year when I missed out on the 07 RNS TMC Update because my dealer didn't get in touch. He sorted it out pretty quickly and FOC (stealer was gonna charge me ~£200!) :respekt:.

Got a mate with an RS4 who went through the same ballache - he got it sorted by Audi under warranty but only after a few heated discussions with dealers and Audi UK.

Hope you get it sorted out mate.

-Sal- :cool:

Thanks Sjah, Your mate with the rs4 had similar probs with his seats but got it sorted? Thats reassuring to know!

Because like others here are thinking, Audi are probably gonna try the wear and tear ******** on me, when its really not!

BoggySV.

I dont have a pic as the car is in for the new rack. but ive tried to anotate this a bit:

There is one massice crease which is very defined, as though the outer bit has been pressed in for time, like stored flat on its front. This bit is slightly in contact with my body, the little creases are actually big and defined, but in comparison with the "mother of all creases" small, they are all around the outer edge and never even touch my body, im actually really carefull getting in and out, not to make them worse as this is where the sponge feels soft and lumpy too.

Then theres to dodgy stitching which has a big gimp in it too.

Also wear my **** lives, is sagging like a mofo, but i didnt go into that.

Consider - Ive just done 2500 miles with a mate shared drive. the passenger seat looks like new, mine looks bolloxed. did 400 last weeekend, car full, passenger side looks like new, mine still looks bolloxed.

I get in and out 2 times a day 5 days a week, might see a touch more use on weekends..

I'm about to try the same thing with BM, my drivers seat leather is wearing on the side bolters from me getting in and out.

It'll be interesting to see what they say!

J.

There was a post on here about the S3 with swirls in the paintwork & dealer wouldnt pay/sort out but audi uk main man got involved & basically said get it sorted & they will foot the bill, see if you can find it & get the audi main honcho's details & fire an email over to him, he seems to stand up & pay attention & make dealers do **** if customers arent happy, I will look for the thread aswell mate.

Jeremy Hicks? Who's this skin then? Ah, i know, ive seen that chap on the Audi channel! So who has his details then? I need to drop him a line.

jeremy-hicks.jpg

Sorry to hear someone else is suffering the "it must be your fault sir" or the "Can we park your issue over there for a bit, while waiting for Audi to let us know if we can keep you happy, or hope you just go away" line,

Where did you get the car from, have you tried asking them? Not that it should make a difference of course

Also, I believe Jeremy Hicks is the boss (Or at least was a short while ago)

fingers crossed for you, honestly!

After dealing with this countless times, Just keep sitting there being dumb, asking the same question over and over helps :)

Hmm...most of my creases are on the door side lower bolster, the ones supporting your thighs. Granted I'm quite the slim one, so even while driving I can still move my body around. Usually tilt my body a little while getting out/in.

Said it once, and I'll say it again, there is absolutely no way a girl with miniskirts and high heels could get out of the car gracefully without creasing the seat.
Not that I have to worry about that now anyways:(

*Anyone here with a good looking daughter/cousin/niece that's single? age 20 preferred. Drop me a pm.

Hmm...most of my creases are on the door side lower bolster, the ones supporting your thighs. Granted I'm quite the slim one, so even while driving I can still move my body around. Usually tilt my body a little while getting out/in.

Said it once, and I'll say it again, there is absolutely no way a girl with miniskirts and high heels could get out of the car gracefully without creasing the seat.
Not that I have to worry about that now anyways:(

The bottom bolster is fine. Its a little creased as you'd expect from being sat on, but the side bolster... Its a mess.

Any word on Mr Hicks email?

well thats saved me doing it then lol, dont you just love forums, lol, lol.

Funnily enough, £1.8K is what we paid (each) for two x two seater 'Natuzzi' leather sofas for our living room, some 5 years ago now.
5 years of being sat on for hours every day, being moved from one house to another and being battered by growing kids.
Not a mark on the leather, still looks brand spanking new.
Anyone suffering wear to the their leather car seats is quite right to be abso-******-lutely furious.:keule:

This is down to cost and/or poor suppliers.
They're either deliberately using poor 'nappa' leather, from the underneath of the cow,(nice an supple at first, but doesn't wear well) or the leather-grading person in the seat factory has Stevie Wonder levels of myopia.

Is it advertised as full grain, or top grain?
Full grain is the best quality, as it is 'raw' leather and any imperfections are clear to see.
So they have to use the best, or it's obvious they haven't.
Top grain is poorer quality leather, which has imperfections 'scraped' off, then a grain stamped onto it by machine.

Funnily enough, £1.8K is what we paid (each) for two x two seater 'Natuzzi' leather sofas for our living room, some 5 years ago now.
5 years of being sat on for hours every day, being moved from one house to another and being battered by growing kids.
Not a mark on the leather, still looks brand spanking new.
Anyone suffering wear to the their leather car seats is quite right to be abso-******-lutely furious.:keule:

Im calm for now. I'll be talking to the warranty man when i pick the car up. The response I get regarding his chat with Audi will dictate any future mood swings :sly:

BTW, to say you should 'expect' leather to wear is about as accurate as saying you should 'expect' metal to rust.
Yes, leather will wear eventually, without care, just as metal will rust, eventually.
But to suggest you should expect it to wear in cars as young as this is just wrong, and is giving Audi (or whoever) a ready-made excuse.
Only inferior leather will show excessive wear in the time frames given.
This is the trouble with leather.
There is leather and there is leather!
As I stated above, you should look for 'full grain' as a minimum spec.
Does Audi specify????

Well Leon after seeing the picture... I really don't have any crease or wear in that area... only some creases where I sit not more... Concerning wear my leather is not worn just creases in the sides were I seat not in the back, more on the side bolsters of the thighs...

Pedro

whats a 'gimp'? apart from a guy dressed in leather sucking a pool ball.

whats a 'gimp'? apart from a guy dressed in leather sucking a pool ball.
I used that term to describe the shoddy stiching which has resulted in a gimpish look to the seam:

timzaccheo.jpg

LOL :)

Anyway, following a call from Audi ive got a precious nugget of info for ya'll. Unless the Audi lady is talking ******** of course :banghead:

Shes told me my cars ready and that "Would you beleive it, Audi released a modified steering rack for the 8p last week, we had it specialled yesterday and is now fitted, and the car ready to collect, were just going to get it washed" I said "arrrgh, dont wash it!!!" LoL.

So anyway, if you have any doubts about your steering rack. Get it in for the new one ;)

Further to my seat complaint, they've sent pictures and a technical report to Audi... The saga continues.

Anyway, following a call from Audi ive got a precious nugget of info for ya'll. Unless the Audi lady is talking ******** of course :banghead:

Shes told me my cars ready and that "Would you beleive it, Audi released a modified steering rack for the 8p last week, we had it specialled yesterday and is now fitted, and the car ready to collect, were just going to get it washed" I said "arrrgh, dont wash it!!!" LoL.

So anyway, if you have any doubts about your steering rack. Get it in for the new one ;)

Further to my seat complaint, they've sent pictures and a technical report to Audi... The saga continues.

That's two new modified steering racks as my 3rd one was apparently a "brand new design" according to Audi head office

You'd hope this one would be designed properly and the bloke who designed the first two would now be wearing concrete boots

I had the standard seats in my S3 and had the drivers side base replaced after 9 months due to collapsed side bolster, I'm not exactly large so I insisted this was a design fault, eventually they gave in and replaced the internals but not the actual lthr cover.

Try another dealer. Audi are having a great deal of trouble at the minute with 'saggy' seats on numerous TT's and it was even mentioned in last months Top gear, the Guys on the TT forum seem to think a fix is on the way but time will tell.

3 steering racks is ridiculous I'm pretty sure I'd be pushing for a good deal on a new S3 by now as it tends to dent your confidence somewhat.

Hope you get it sorted Pal..

what are the symptoms of the steering rack problems? mine seems ok so far.

Just when stationary? or on the move ? or both?

All cars of mine (not a3's) have creaked when stationary, but are silent when moving.

I've always considered that to be a normal noise, like I say all my previous cars with power steering have done it to some extent or another.

My s3 does it, but I dont consider it faulty. If it did it all the time and not just when stationary/sow moving I would consider it faulty.

Mine did that once when stationary but stopped and never did it since.... Not going to change it...

Pedro

I've always considered that to be a normal noise, like I say all my previous cars with power steering have done it to some extent or another.

My s3 does it, but I dont consider it faulty. If it did it all the time and not just when stationary/sow moving I would consider it faulty.

Hi Julians, maybe your car isnt faulty, who knows ?

All i know is that I raised the issue with Audi for one reason and that is because it only did it when turning to the left. Had it done it both ways I, like you would have assumed it to be the power steering or somthing as Im not car technical. The fact that it only did it to the left made me think something was "Possibly" wrong.

So when i took it to Audi I merely asked could they look at it, They did this and told me It was faulty. They changed it without question or delay. In fact I was a bit disapointed because I had hoped it to be nothing.

The second time round, the car after a few days again made the same groaning when turning to the left, so of course, with the knowledge returned it to Audi.

Today I got it back and I can say there Is NO groaning or creaking noises when I steer, absolutley smooth as silk. I just hope it stays that way. :shrug:

mine used to do the creaking and also did the inconsistent power application, almost as if the power steering pump stopped and started again,

mine used to do the creaking and also did the inconsistent power application, almost as if the power steering pump stopped and started again,
Ditto, although it was very minor, i almost forgot/got used to it. But having got it back the way it is now, so smooth, makes such a marked difference.

Seriously now, when i originally took it in i thought It would be somthing minor like trim catching or somthing but when they told me I needed a new steering rack I was like "WTF! thats major ****":ohmy:

Mine seems fine , i turned it right round both ways while stationary, i could hear my tyres a bit on the tiled/cobbled drive , but no creaking!

p

Mine seems fine , i turned it right round both ways while stationary, i could hear my tyres a bit on the tiled/cobbled drive , but no creaking!

p

Thats good news ;)

Im not trying to scare people but it is a fault nonetheless and thought it wise to share my experience.

cheers , I'll keep an eye out for it, my thinking is that if its a faulty rack I've got another 2.5 years left on the warranty for it to manifest itself properly.

Im not exactly sure what the fault is, Audi were very hazy about it and I gave up pressing for info, but If its only a ****** creaking noise then im sure others like you will just live with it, i mean its hardly a major inconvenience..

I was a little more worried, annoying creaking noise is one thing, the rack suddenly failling is another, now I'm sure if there was a serious issue Audi would issue a recall but to be honest, when it comes to something as serious as steering, I didnt think there was a risk worth taking