Disable Electric Windows

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
Anybody know if it is possible to disable the electic window button on the passenger door via VAGCOM? In other words, only allow the window to be opened by the driver's side switch?

I hate it when people get in the car and the first thing they do is open the windows - especially if I have just washed them, or if it is a warm day and I have the Climate Control on. No matter how many times they are told (and threatened with being left on the side of the road next time) they never listen.

Yup, I had thought about it, but would rather do something in VAGCOM if it is available so I can turn it on and off without dismantling the door.

The other option is to break one of their fingers\thumbs each time they open the window. They're bound to work out what they are doing after the tenth time and not do it any more.

or you could put 15k volts onto it - they'll learn after the third press :)

I just had a look at the my code listing (from de.openobd.org) and it seems that VAG-COM may be able to do something. Part of the CAN gateway coding list Byte 02 bits 2 for the drivers door electronics and bits 3 for the front passenger and 4 and 5 for the rear doors. I must admit I have no idea what would need to be changed to make any difference.

Perhaps if you post your query in the ASN VAG-COM forum someone from Ross-Tech may be able to advise. They do keep an eye on that forum and offer help when the can.

Thanks Dave.

From looking at openobd it seems that checking the box for that byte tells the car the electrics are there. I would assume, therefore, that unchecking the box should make the car think they are not there. I'll have a look later and try checking and unchecking the boxes.

Nothing else in the door apart from the window control from what I can see. I would expect the electric heated mirrors to be on a different controller, as would the central locking.

I've just remembered. On the driver's door window controls their is a 'Safety switch' behind the other four switches that switches off the windows switches in the rear doors. Mainy so that 'children' cannot play with the windows. This is a toggle switch, press once to switch the rear door off, press again to switch them back on.

Even easilier than VAG-COM!

Yeah, I've seen that before on the A4, but I have the 3dr rather than the SB, so I think they assume your passenger won't play with the buttons.

It is usually my "grown up" front seat passengers who feel the need to play with the windows.

Did you ever figure this out - becasue I've just done something (not sure whether it was through auto closing or fiddling with the driver window switches) and now the passenger window won't open using passenger switch - only my drivers switch.....

Any idea how to get it back?