How Much Oil to top up? (2.0 TDI)

giblets46

Reaction score
Hi, seen plenty of threads on here about the type of oil to top up with, but how much should I top it up with?
Currently whenever my DIS gives me the oil level warning I drop in 1/2 Litre of oil, but could I drop in the whole litre? or 3/4litre? Would save me the fill ups every month or two (5,000miles).
Cheers
Edward

I drop a litre in, of any oil I can find

Have been doing this for the last 30k miles and so far no issues

Though, if you want to be 100% safe, use Audi reccomended oil and fill up to the line on the dipstick :)

I drop a litre in, of any oil I can find

Have been doing this for the last 30k miles and so far no issues

Though, if you want to be 100% safe, use Audi reccomended oil and fill up to the line on the dipstick :)

Are you on long life servicing, if so I would use the correct longlife oil.

Once you have stuck 1/2 a litre in go open the bonnet and check the level on the dip stick, if its still under max mark stick a bit more in.
Over filling can cause problems so i wouldn’t recommend it.

Are you on long life servicing, if so I would use the correct longlife oil.

Once you have stuck 1/2 a litre in go open the bonnet and check the level on the dip stick, if its still under max mark stick a bit more in.
Over filling can cause problems so i wouldn’t recommend it.

No being daft here but surely he needs the bonnet open to put the oil in to start with??????????????:wtf::wtf:

i'm on the AVS servicing, I've often thought the long life oil thing was a load of rubbish to get you to buy oil from Audi, with the amount mine uses, I'm taking the chance I know but so far, its all ok

I don't rely on the DIS to top up oil levels... Now and then like once every month or so I check oil level with dipstick and top up accordingly.

Do not overfill as increased pressure could damage and put con rods under unnecessary stress...

I know this is a TDI thread but my S3 has only needed a 1/4 liter so far so well pleased with it in this matters. I am on variable servicing and not really worried about things.

Also Bacardi you can buy oil for long life servicing in other places it does not need to be bought in Audi, just make sure oil spec is the same...

Pedro

Yeh, using 5w-30, company car so its all covered, but do about 1,000m (miles not meters! :) ) a week, so filling up is pretty regular, so hoping to cut that down a bit!

Yup, if the DIS warning comes on, just chuck a whole litre in.
Repeat regularly until sold.:keule:

i'm on the AVS servicing, I've often thought the long life oil thing was a load of rubbish to get you to buy oil from Audi, with the amount mine uses, I'm taking the chance I know but so far, its all ok
i think it's the later owner(s) who will get the payback!! Caveat Emptor.....

If it's already a heavy oil user, what the hell difference will it make to a later owner?:think:

It's not as if his decision to use 'different' oil is the cause of the problem, it's just a reaction to it.

I assume you've got some proof that's the case then? I mean, surely there must be some evidence to back up using regular oil will damage the car badly?

To be fair, whoever has it next will have plenty of more things to worry about than this anyway

I so wanted to put something in my A3, warning a prospective owner of it's excessive oil consumption.
What can you do though?
Leave a sneaky note in the manual?
They might have bought the damned thing by then!

This is where I think a website, where one can praise or berate a car, would be a good idea.
Unfortunately, it would rely on owners' goodwill to lodge the details.
That would be the first problem.
I dare say the used motor trade would have a problem with cars being 'named and shamed' too.:sos: