new S3 or Evo X

sinktheboat

Reaction score
Am I going to be disappointed if I trade my 06 Evo 9 in on the new 09 model S3. The S3 has got a major lack of power and torque, but it does have some class.
I was going to get an Evo X but I don't really like them now they are here.

Hello and welcome.

The only real way your going to know is taking one out for a spin, but it will probably be lacking the power that your used to.

The S3 is a great allrounder, decent build and materials with understated class.

Service's are a lot better than the EVO, as it stands at the moment my 1st service is not due untill 19000 miles i have to do a iterim oil and filter change at 9000 miles , it's something crazy like every 4.5k on a EVO isn't it?

As for power and torque , S3's seem to put out more than book figures , mne and others put out in the region of 280bhp and 280lbft of torque Std , if you go the full on tunning route , you should see 350bhp from a remap , exhaust , CAF and fuel pump for roughly 1.5k.

The S3 is not a EVO , but you could get it to be the same pace , you could never get a EVO to be a S3. :)

p

The new evo has a more reasonable service interval, something like 9000 miles. I havent driven a new evo, but I would imagine its a more involving drive than the S3, ad it should handle better given its limited slip diffs etc. Interior probably wont be as nice as the S3, and it'll probably cost more to run than the S3 (insurance, road tax, servicing, fuel, depreciation).

For driving I'd choose the evo, for a more rounded car I'd choose the s3. BUt then I've not driven the evo, so I could be completely wrong, but thats how I read the reviews etc.

For an every day all rounder to serve all purposes and you won't look a muppet should you choose to wear a suit or evening wear.... S3 without doubt.
Purely as a drivers car it's got to be the Evo, no doubt about it.

I did consider an EVO prior to choosing my S3 however the running/maintenance costs put me off and I didnt even get as far test driving one.
I know the EVO will be more fun in `hooligan`kind of way and more capable when pushed but I would never drive an EVO hard enough to exploit its limits and its superior chassis, brakes etc would be wasted on me.

IMO, the S3 is better in every other way though , looks, image, interior, running costs and its alrounder qualities.
I would doubt the S3 is as hardcore as an EVO but to be honest, my Civic type R got a bit tiresome after a while.
I must be getting old....

Good luck, you cant really loose which ever you choose, both great cars and not a bad dilemna at all !

Cheers
Paul

S3 for me definatley - havent warmed to the looks of the X yet plus, how many times will the evo need servicing before the first service is up on the S3?

think of the pro's and con's against each - do you want to own another evo?

S3 has class, carisma, lots of tuning potential, probably hold its value better than the evo

Just to throw a spanner in the works, as an entertaining drive i'd rather have a rear wheel drive M3 over both of them.
I think a lot of 4WD performance cars are a little too predictable nowadays.

TBH the only two things they have in common are the price and 4WD , there very different cars , and if you ask on the Lancer register members will be saying the Evo!

All S3 owners could have bought the X , but chose not too mainly for looks , resale value , build , and the stigma of what follows older Evo's.

It goes without saying the Evo will be faster more of a drivers car and handle better than the S3 , obviously they wasn't our main priorities.

The S3 is a better all round product.

p

Just to throw a spanner in the works, as an entertaining drive i'd rather have a rear wheel drive M3 over both of them.
I think a lot of 4WD performance cars are a little too predictable nowadays.

The M3 is a fantastic drive but much more expensive to buy unless you buy an older car which is also outside BMW warranty.

For me though, the `predictabilty` is one of the attributes I like. Im an average driver who rarely goes nuts on the back roads and never does track days so Im happy to have a car that makes up for this and `helps me out`.

I probably would have given serious consideration to the evo x if it were available when I bought my S3.

At the time , the main thing that put me off an evo (and has put me off every time I considered buying one over the last 8 years), is the stupid service interval of 4500 miles. Now that they've sorted that I reckon they'll sell loads.

Thanks guys, I’m thinking I will be ordering the new S3 (looks like the new model is a couple of months away here, the current model is very tempting but can’t help thinking its old before I get it, with the new one all but on the ships). Just not having to do a service every 5000km has just about done it. That alone should convince the handbrake (misses)!
I’m getting a lot more laid back in my driving style to, with kids and price of fuel. The Audi looks to use a fair bit less gas, the Evo 9 uses slightly more than 10lts 100km
As for the BMW, if I could afford a new M3 I would most defiantly snap up one of the last RS4’s
The new Evo X is nothing special, even the dealer said it’s just not the same car, and he owns the yard.

For an every day all rounder to serve all purposes and you won't look a muppet should you choose to wear a suit or evening wear.... S3 without doubt.
Purely as a drivers car it's got to be the Evo, no doubt about it.

:applaus:

S3 - more polished, better cabin quality, OK performance, OK handling
EVO - more performance focused, more efficient, better handling

As an everyday car... S3 easier to live with as it is understated and is serviced as a normal car... go for the Audi unless you are a no compromise guy!

Pedro

I guess the fact that you are asking the question in the Audi Forum rather than the Lancer Evo Forum means that you have decided and just needed some confirmation...

Sorry but the new Evo is ugly as hell....S3 SB all the way (4 doors on the Evo...4 doors on the S3...)

What is the cabin like in the new Evo? Anyone actually driven one? I didn't think the old one was too bad to be honest.

The Evo X isn’t that different inside to the 9, it’s a little more refined for the business man. But it still resembles the 9 inside.
It looks good in black, but really needs a body kit to look sharp. I feel a good car shouldn’t need to be kitted it up for looks.

I think if I trade my 9 in on a X, I’m going to want my 9 back within months. I just hope the lack of go in the S3 isn’t going to override the class, but I guess we all have to grow up at some stage.
Besides my Bladerider will fit better on the roof of the 5 door S3, Just have to wait for the new model to arrive now.

I'd go for a test drive but I'm no good at that, tend to drive away with a new car, and i want the facelift 09 model.

. http://www.oceanphotography.co.nz/November 07/07-11-07/Blade Rider/ipage00001.htm

Just to remove any doubt. The Evo X isn't as quick as the 9!

;)

Buschur, AMS and many of the japanese companies seem determined to change that:)

Remember when the 7 came and everybody was (and still is) comparing how the 6 was better? this looks just like a repetition of it.

I'd like to have a X or IX as a weekend car (budget allowing I'd prefer the x), with an obnoxiously loud exhaust to scare the neighborhood dogs, and a big turbo that doesnt move until 3.5krpm, and suck in unsuspecting little children when it spools.

Since I'm still "young", it'd be nice to have an Audi hatchback for weekdays, and be riceboy on the weekends. It'd be awesome to see the look on the woman's face when I show up at her parents house with an ironing board behind my car!

I think its really difficult to go from a fast car to a slower one unless for a very different reason (e.g. Evo9 -> Merc E class) Especially going a full size smaller into a hatchback.

Although there is the build quality and the Audi brand factor. I would suspect that you will be bored with it very soon when coming from a car like the EVO 9...

Sorry the off topic but that is one of my probs.... I got used to the power of the S3 and I want to change my car for a more economic one (lots of mileage now...) like a diesel but I am struggling to find one to suit the bill... E90 335D not goos as it is auto... 330D maybe but still 3 series not that exciting to look at (well S3 neither for the record.. ahah) So really don't know for the moment... racking miles in the S3... maybe I will stick to it...

Pedro