S3 S Tronic hatch or sportback?

Should S3 be hatch only or is sportback ok?

• Yes

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters

nicks3

Reaction score
I am contemplating changing my 335d for either of the above and back to S3 ownership (2 mark ones in the past). Should the S3 be a hatch or is sportback ok?

With an 18month old daughter I think the S3 SB offers a great blend of performance and practicality, in the past I have always been a die hard 3 door fan but the SB is one of the few cars I like with the extra doors, factor in the new LED style lights, some 19" wheels and it will look the dogs doo daas. SB S-line models often turn my head, the added extras on the S3 will make it a little more special would still have to see one in the metal though.

I have 3 kids (5, 10 and 12) but the wife has an X5 so I dont really have to have 5 doors but it seems to make sense. My problem is that after 2 x mark one S3's I need to get the idea out of my head that S3's have to be 3 door. A remapped S3 S tronic sportback would be some tool. I've just got this notion that the sportback looks like an estate and does it look sporty enough for the S3 badge?

If i'm totally honest the SB is a compromise but only a small one, I know its a different car but it doesn't seem to have affected desireability of GTi's.

If I had no kids it would be 3 doors no doubt but even with a practical second car sometimes you just feel like taking your own :)

In 12 months of S3 ownership I think I only used the rear seats twice but on the occasions I did it was a bit of a pain.

I dirve a 2 seater and we have a famiy wagon for ferrying the little fella around in. I do use my car form time to time when the wifes away for the weekend without to much trouble.

But when we go out as a family from time to time I do sometimes wish I had a bigger car that I could use.

Get the 3 door if thats what you heart wants!

J.

Audi have this thing about offering some of their top performing models in Hatchbatch/Avant/Estate style bodies only so there's no reason to assume that a performance car has to be a 3-door.

If you ever carry passengers, be they children or adults, the 5-door body is much more practical without having to sacrifice performance. The smaller doors can also held in tight parking and garage situations.

I parked next to a black S3(great looking car)the other day at a supermarket carpark,I was expecting a young driver.On my return to fill the back up with food I saw the S3 owners had 3 children and more food than i bought!Didnt seem to hinder them In the slightest!
I couldnt live with 3 doors,did it for years with the 205 gti but these days I need to sling my guitars in on the back seat quickly-And i always drive my band mates to the boozer on sundays.Just easier to do all that with a sportback rather than fart around pushing the seats forward
Also got to say that being parked next door to the S3 made my motor look like a stubby estate.lol

I was always fond of having 5 doors in my hot hatches (Mk2 GTI, A3 2.0T) as they are super practical while still being very quick. The added weight does not bother me as I only do occasional sprints in the city and use it as a daily driver.

As h5djr mentioned, Audi always has a thing with high performance hatch/estates so it does not have to be 3 doors.

Call me bias but I prefer 5 doors over 3

5 doors does add extra practicallity (my wife has a sportback), but the extra space in the boot is negligible.

I looked at the 3 door before getting the SB, the one thing that puts me off is the length of the doors, you would struggle to get out of the car in most modern car parking spaces.