Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications

Thread: Ex-Demo's

Reverse Gear

Status

Ex-Demo S3?

Hi All,

Just put my deposit down today on an Ex-Demo S3 with 2500 miles on the clock. Chatting to a friend in the pub earlier scared me a little bit, he said he had bought an ex-demo VW some years ago, and it was a nightmare. Obviously been thrashed from the start. So what do you guys think? Good idea/bad idea?

For those interested, the spec was exactly what I wanted

Phantom Black
    Bucket Seats
    Sat Nav
    Bose
    iPod
    MFFBSW
    Phone
    Adaptive Lights
    Interior light pack
    Pravacy Glass

It does have the black pack on it, but I am not very keen on the black grill, so the dealer agreed to change it as part of the deal.

2008 57 Plate, 2500 miles all in for 30,000

What do you think?
    Last edited by billybuds; 15th May 2008 at 18:54.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    My car is ex-demo. Had 1,500 miles on the clock. Up to 9,500 now and its been fine. Has a warranty so not too bothered if it was thrashed before. Probably better for the running in anyway!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

jamiekip
    I wouldn't be too worried about an ex demo. My dads A4 (albeit a 1.9TDi in SE spec, so not likely to have people flooring it when out on a demo!) has had no problems in the 5 years he's had it! Still drives like brand new!!!

Yes an S3 is likely to have people putting there foot down in a test drive.... but tell an owner who hasn't done the sme with there own car and I'll eat my own hair (for the record I won't really, but you know what I mean!). I'm sure it will be fine. If it has problems it's under warranty anyway.

With regards to the deal you got. What was the full list price of the car when new? It's got all the toys so I'm guessing 34k without any discount.
    I'd of expected to have got it for a little less if I was buying, purely on the basis the new facelift is coming soon (good haggling point) and the car is (for the purpose of resale anyway) on a registration that is 8 months old. I'd have tried for 28,500 personally. Sales guy may have never gone there, but that's what my aim would have been!

You'll love it anyway mate - welcome to the club!

Daytona Grey RS3

Status
    Just got an ex demo A3 sportback and have ex-demo cars before without any issue. So far the A3 has been fine. I personally would never buy a new car again.

I cant spell !

Status
    Well I would ask for the black pack and keep it and get them to swap the grill as well, as I can guarantee that they will sell it one to someone else, or you can sell it your self.
    Not a bad price, well spec'd car, and it saves waiting for it - just go over the paitn with a fine tooth comb

Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

On Boost

Status
    My S3 was a Audi reps car , i bought it with 6.5k on the clock the car was just over 6 month old , so the rep was doing 1100 miles per month in it.

I paid 26k for mine in Jan the car was up for 26.995, but i beat them down with a some goodies thrown in , free GAP , free 1st service , Supergaurd , 12month tax , tank of fuel , ect.

My car had a few stone chips which makes sense of a rep doing M/way miles , it's not missed a beat or lose oil , no smeg round the filler cap or nothing.

And because it's been run in hard it's a fast strong car!

Keep the black optic grill you can either sell it or put it on if you change your mind! you can buy brand new crome grills on ebay for 50 , to buy the black grill from a dealer will be 200+

p
    Last edited by phantom; 15th May 2008 at 19:20.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers guys, you have restored my confidence! I will be going over both the exterior and interior with a fine tooth comb.

As far as the deal I got goes, they met me half way, I got 900 off the advertised price, plus gave me 500 more for my trade in than they quoted, plus I got the grill changed, and got a free tank of fuel. Not an amazing deal, but Im pretty happy, been searching for a car with the exact spec I wanted for a while.

Roll on next Friday!!

6th Gear

Status
    Hard to say wether a good deal or not once a PX is involved as its best to concentrate on what the dealers call CTC (cost to change).

Excellent spec car and well done for changing the grille back to standard, I'm in the minority on here but I think the black optics looks a bit cheap.

Don't worry about the car being an ex demo, the S3 has good strong internals and you have 28 months warranty left.

Its a beast of a car - enjoy
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

S3 (8P)

Status
    Even in the highly unlkely event the car was abused everytime it was turned over from day one, over a measily 2500miles it woudnt matter a jot anyway IMO.

Pricewise, its not a steal, but I wouldnt have said it was a bad deal neither, after all if its what you wanted and if you didnt give 30K for it, the next guy would ! Also youve probably saved 5K on extras versus new and beat the wait as well as grinning tomorrow when the new toy comes out!

Good luck and enjoy.

PS - Warning, spend too much time here and you WILL be forking out for a remap sooner than you think.

Paul

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post
    Excellent spec car and well done for changing the grille back to standard, I'm in the minority on here but I think the black optics looks a bit cheap.
    Cheap cheap! cheeky

p

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Cheap cheap! cheeky

p

We can't all like the same things which is what makes life so interesting
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks, and about the Remap, it was always in the back of my mind and has now come to the front. Would you guys wait till the car is fully run-in before I do it? And which remap would you reccomend?

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Its an Audi it can take a thrashing anyway!!
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk

Status
    I wouldn't worry about the ex demo I've just bought one for Claire. No worse than buying any other second hand car!

Regarding the cost, so long as your happy thats the main thing. Nice spec though!

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

2nd Gear

Status
    I've got an ex-demo (Golf) and it's been a great car. She's served me well so, as said above, you've nothing more to worry about than any other used car.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Ex Demo will have more than likely have been pampered regularly too. Dealers will want the car at its best when taking punters out to show it in its best light.

There is a host of threads on remaps but it seems that GIAC and Superchips Bluefin are up there for quality and VFM

Both come with hardware to enable DIY switching between std and tuner maps and appear to give similar gains at a similar price.

I will be going for Bluefin as the nearest GIAC agent is a 3 hr drive away and I want an expert on the doorstep in the event of any problems.

However if REVO wasnt so damn expensive I would get that again but at 250 more for like for like packages its just too much.

Enjoy and get ready to aquaint yourself with your nearest V Power outlet.

Cheers
    Paul

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by billybuds View Post
    Thanks, and about the Remap, it was always in the back of my mind and has now come to the front. Would you guys wait till the car is fully run-in before I do it? And which remap would you reccomend?
    I'm on 8.5k atm and still Std , it's more a case of biding my time than worried about running it in , anyway 2.5k is pretty much run in.

Get it mapped when you start to get used to the car , the remap will give it a nice boost and you'll enjoy it all the more again!

p