General Query and a quickie on the tyres

dobber

Reaction score
I have a 170ps Diesel S LIne Quattro (56 Plate) and reckon that it sounds quite tractor like lately? Am i going mad? Will/Can Audi sort this? Also tyres are coming up for replacing - do i need to change all 4 with it being a quattro - I am changing to a different brand so in that case do i need to change all 4 anyway?

Lots of questions - grateful for any help.

Cheers

Think there was a couple of threads re the tractor noise, look for one called something like 'the 170tdi...the story so far' - a long old thread but seems to be a few people in there with similar thing

re tyres - i don't think it's necessarily a great idea to mix brands/compounds/tread patterns, i always only ever have 4 of the same on, my bro works for yokohama so i don't pay too much for mine! would imagine that you should have evenly matched (worn) tyres at the front on either side and same at back, don't think bald front right and new front left would be good

recommendation from Yokohama is to change all 4, especially if you are changing brand - although i suppose they would say that!

As said , in a ideal world you should change all four at the same time.

You 100% need to change one axel at a time unless the tyre your NOT changing is neally new.

I have Conti sport 3 's on my front and Michelin pilot sports on the rear , not through choice mind! there have been no issues with two different makes.

p

Sorry i wasnt clear in my first post - I meant is it ok to change the fronts only etc? Seems i am better not to do that.

Ok to just change fronts and leave rears but wouldn't personally mix patterns/brands, I always used to swap my fronts with my rears about half way through there life as you got a bit more out of them, but that's before I had access to cheap tyres and before company cars!

So long as you change both tyres at one end and not just one corner you will be fine.

You'll be ok to change brands so long as you dont have directional at one end and assymetrical at the other!

But personally if your thinking of switching brands I would do all 4 on a quattro car, you might feel some squirming otherwise! On the FWD isn't not so much of an issue in my experience.

J.

Sorry i wasnt clear in my first post - I meant is it ok to change the fronts only etc? Seems i am better not to do that.

Yes if your rears still have decent tread!

Maybe a idea to put the front ( worn-ish ) ones on the rear and the better ones on the front to even out the tread deph between the front and rear , and then change all four and rotate , then change all four and rotate , and so on.

Try and have the same level of tread accross both axels ( ive found out the hard way )

p