How much?

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
Hello all,

I want to try and sell my car private, I was going to stick it on PistonHeads for a bit. What should I ask for it?

Spec is in my signiture and the car has had two main dealer services and is currently covered 23k, its a 55 plate.

Thanks

Check the price on parkers website

Check similar spec'd A3's on autotrader and piston heads!

because he is expecting his first child in November and needs something bigger! ;)

because he is expecting his first child in November and needs something bigger! ;)

Thats superb news but don't make the same mistake I did.

I bought an A4 Avant upon hearing my first child was on its way, I think it may be the male equivalent of 'nesting'. It bored the pants off me and I sold it within 6 months.

You really don't need an MPV or even an estate for one child, your A3 will be perfectly adequate plus Dad will be happy driving a car he likes.

Fantastic news though Pal :)

Not the 3 door though Spin. Sportback yep, that should be spot on.

Thanks mate, i still don't think I will manage with a 3 door, we have a dog as well and she generally travels in the car everyday. Don't want an MPV, would rather have my kidneys removed with a fruit spoon, but think I could live with a 3 series touring?

Thats superb news but don't make the same mistake I did.

I bought an A4 Avant upon hearing my first child was on its way, I think it may be the male equivalent of 'nesting'. :)

I bought my missus a Dyson :idea:

p

Not the 3 door though Spin. Sportback yep, that should be spot on.[/QUOTE

The 3 door isn't ideal especially if its the only or main car in the household, manageable at best. We use my wifes 4 door for family travel with my previous S3 only used for Nursery drop off etc so this was done using the font seat and airbag de-activation method. I would just say don't rush into things which isn't easy as your first child is so exciting.

My little girls 18months now, crikey how time flies...

My little ones 7 and Ive never had a 4/5 door yet!, in fact she spent the first 6 months being carrried around in a Corrado VR6.

Stick with 3 dr and get rid of the dog:lmfao:

Cheers
Paul

No you don't! I even considered a TT, just to prove to the sister-in-law that she doesn't need the Volvo 850 estate that she got. The S3 is more than adequate and actually gives you more room for getting kids in and out of the seats than a 4/5-door. The front seats in a 4/5-door wont tilt and slide forward quite as easily!

Spot on.
Buying a huge barge months before the patter of tiny feet is ofter a lifestyle choice rather than pure practicality. I reckon its more about projecting the grown up family man image than necessity.

I often have my 7 old and mate(s) in the car for a trip out, its no hassle whatsoever, and the rest of the time (about 90%) I get to drive a car I enjoy without comprimises, which looks good too!

Although everyones circumstances are different, how many people do you know/see with a 4x4/MPV/7 Seater who do the Mon-Fri commute with just them and a load of `empty car`, and at the weekend have the missus and a toddler rattling around somewhere in the cavernous back. Overkill if you ask me.
Im sure not everyone thinks the same , buts thats my 2p. Fun first, sensible stuff later
:rockwoot:
Cheers
Paul

I agree with Paul and Mitch. I am constantly confused as to why people think it's necessary to have an MPV for 2 kids. I was reading Evo a while back and in one article the writer said that now he had 2 kids the Audi A4 wasn't big enough!

When I was a kid the 5 of us used to get around perfectly well in our Volvo and then a Cavalier. We never had a 3 door I'll admit but 5 seats was enough.

I agree with Paul and Mitch. I am constantly confused as to why people think it's necessary to have an MPV for 2 kids. I was reading Evo a while back and in one article the writer said that now he had 2 kids the Audi A4 wasn't big enough!

When I was a kid the 5 of us used to get around perfectly well in our Volvo and then a Cavalier. We never had a 3 door I'll admit but 5 seats was enough.

Mate of mine sold his Golf Anni and bought a Scenic when his nipper came along NUTS !
I asked him who was going to sit in the other 2 seats and did he have a balaclava handy in case he was seen driving it.

His excuse is that he has a Ducatti in the garage., Eh?

So have a duke and a Golf GTI ! instead of a ****** french bus and a bike you can only use on the 4 dry weekends of the year.

Strangely he agrees, reckon it must be that thumb print on his head:laugh:
Hes had some cool cars too, MK1 Gold campaign etc., how the might have fallen....under the pressure of fatherhood and marriage......:keule:

Cheers
Paul

agree with the general theme here

Many friends have chopped their cars in for faceless dull poeple carriers, and most of them have changed back quite quickly, save yourself the aggro!

Interestingly one of them had a 3 series coupe and now a tourer, said it was easier to put his kid in the back of the 2 door as he could lean against the folded forward chair rather than over a doorway

I plan to have a 5dr diesel and a Caterham plus bike in the garage. My kids are going to grow up as petrol heads!

As long as we still have petrol that is. Maybe they'll end up as nuclear heads. Or Mr Fusion heads.

I would want a bigger car for transporting a baby in. I have had my friends baby in the car once and never again.

The front seats dont go very far forwards to give easy access to the back and once the baby seat/holder/cradle thing is in the seat it is behind has be very far forward. Then there was the pram. With every conceivable part of it folded up it literally just squeezed in the boot touching both sides.

Perhaps my friend has an awkward baby seat but I cant see how it could of been much smaller. Once they are old enough to sit up in a child seat it would be ok apart from the access to the back seats. I'd still prefer a larger car but I wouldn't go as far as getting an MPV.

A 5 door Sportback is perfectly adequate for a family. I really don't see what the fascination is with the MPV thing. It offers barely more room than a hatchback and owning one of them to me means you've given up on life...

A 5 door Sportback is perfectly adequate for a family. I really don't see what the fascination is with the MPV thing. It offers barely more room than a hatchback and owning one of them to me means you've given up on life...

Absolutely, most of these daft MPVs/Mini MPVs and Golf Plus`esque things have no real extra useable space anyway, just a really tall roof.

Which in fine if youre Marge Simpson or Abraham Lincoln but in reality it just ***** up the dynamics and looks of the car its based on, and makes you look a bit silly. I think Top Gear said something similar during one of their `scientific` tests too.

As for getting sprogs, prams etc in and out cars, its a pain in the ****, period!
You just have to offset the misery of doing so by having a car you actually like, even if it smells of ***** and rusks!

Cheers
Paul

Absolutely, most of these daft MPVs/Mini MPVs and Golf Plus`esque things have no real extra useable space anyway, just a really tall roof.
Nope - loads of space in the Touran, and loads more

Which in fine if youre Marge Simpson or Abraham Lincoln but in reality it just ***** up the dynamics and looks of the car its based on, and makes you look a bit silly. I think Top Gear said something similar during one of their `scientific` tests too.
'silly'? my (2) kids and their (endless) friends can all see out, don't moan about being sick. We have had 2 x 16 year old plus 1 x 13 year old + 2 x surf boards in last weekend. Driving dynamics not too far different from the A3, lower corners better obviously but the Touran Sport seats are way better than the A3 SE ones, visibility street ahead on the Touran. It's no looker though unlike the A3 - I still just take a quick look out of the window at the Audi from time to time...........

As for getting sprogs, prams etc in and out cars, its a pain in the ****, period!
yep - but it's easier if you can get one thing out without upending everything else!

You just have to offset the misery of doing so by having a car you actually like, even if it smells of ***** and rusks!
Quite like the Touran. Plastics are nasty but look close and A3 has some harsh stuff in there although fit is way better

Anyway I'm lucky we have both (and I get to drive the Sportback!!!)

I plan to have a 5dr diesel and a Caterham plus bike in the garage. My kids are going to grow up as petrol heads!

Amen!

Got the 5 door diesel, doing the bike test. Caterham to follow!

O yeah and eventually kids!

My wife had a 535d M Sport (used for commuting to and from work mainly) and just got a A3 Sportback S-Line as a more practical run around. We are expecting our first child any day now and I have to say the Sportback is very adequate and accomodates the ridiculously sized pushchair and carry cot (although not much boot space left over). One thing I have realised is that the push chair you buy will play a big factor in whether your boot is big enough.

We had the Lexus RX300 SE L 4X4 even though it's no looker and handled like a jelly we sort of liked it!

Loads of space , and you feel very SAFE in it , it is like driving a bus , a luxury bus.

I always felt like a drug dealer though!

p

Nope - loads of space in the Touran, and loads more

'silly'? my (2) kids and their (endless) friends can all see out, don't moan about being sick. We have had 2 x 16 year old plus 1 x 13 year old + 2 x surf boards in last weekend. Driving dynamics not too far different from the A3, lower corners better obviously but the Touran Sport seats are way better than the A3 SE ones, visibility street ahead on the Touran. It's no looker though unlike the A3 - I still just take a quick look out of the window at the Audi from time to time...........

yep - but it's easier if you can get one thing out without upending everything else!

Quite like the Touran. Plastics are nasty but look close and A3 has some harsh stuff in there although fit is way better

Anyway I'm lucky we have both (and I get to drive the Sportback!!!)

Fair point.
The S3 is more practical than people may think, but a Touran it aint.

It copes with a couple of Adults and a couple of kids just fine but certainly not Teenagers and surfboards !

My point really, was that hatchbacks can accomodate the average small family just fine, when you need to transport adult sized teens, surboards etc you might struggle a little bit with an S3.:sob:

cheers
Paul

I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone who has kids on how adequate a hatchback is for them, but to postion it for me.

a) I have a dog (we like the dog, got really used to it over the 3 years we have had her so don't fancy giving her away)
b) We don't need two cars (or want) so I won't be having a Z4 as the missus will not be driving a B class MB
c) I'd like to get rid of all my debts so we only have the mortgage to cover
d) I only intend to keep the car for the first 3 years
e) If I could have a RS4, I would have one!!

I don't want a 4x4, i don't want a MPV (I agree, life has ended when you have one of those things). I do want something that I can get a pram + dog in (preferably with not one of the said items strapped to the roof)

Advice welcome ;)

New mondeo - ****** huge ! you can get 2 kids and pushchairs in an A4,

Previously slated on this very thead I know, but what about an A4 Avant?

I've HATED Fords all my life. However, after a lift in a friends brand new Mondeo I'll admit I was impressed. Worth a look. Estate has a cavernous boot.

Mmmmm.
If you get something `nice`, it will smell of dog as well as ***** and rusks making resale an issue.
Maybe a well priced mega mile ex fleet A4 20T and remap it? Even a Passat of similar spec?

If badge isnt an issue then Mondeo is probably best value for money.

Good luck