2.0 tdi 170 quattero or 2.0 t fsi quattero

wide

Reaction score
as per the tittle i can't make my mind up between the two, 2.0 tdi 170 quattero or 2.0 t fsi quattero probley the s line. i'm looking at buying an 06 plate & which ever i get i'm going to chip.
what are peoples veiws on both, pro's & cons plz.
thanks matt.

It depends what you want from the car. After they are both chipped the petrol will be more powerful and a little quicker but will be worse on fuel.

The best bet is to test drive both before you spend any money.

The diesel will be 85% as fast as the petrol, 90% of the time, but will use 30% less fuel in the process.
Hope that catchy little ditty helps.

2.0TFSI for me, the other wouldnt even be considered.

I had this debate when ordering my last car. I decided to go for the petrol in the end because I just couldn't let myself get a diesel! Also I get tax free fuel when I'm in Germany so that wasn't so much of an issue.

I had a courtesy car from Audi at one point and it was a 170 and I didn't like it. I enjoy revs too much!

You need to drive them both though yes. I didn't have that luxury as I was on tour at the time but you should without a doubt.

If money for fuel no issue I'd go for a 2.0T anyday!!
I love my diesel but I just cant bear the diesel tractor noise. It's so quiet on the motorway though, I guess it's because the revs are lower than in a petrol??

thanks, i will test drive both but i was always leanning towards the T FSI as i'm a petrol head & have the need for speed lol. it was only the fuel economy & re-sale value of the tdi which made me even consider it.
matt.

I wouldn't make the decision based on replies from a forum, you need to drive both them and see which one suits you best and which one you prefer.

I hated the diesel hence why i went for a petrol, diesel was noisy and rattled too much for my liking!

Did the 170 come out on 06. Only the 140 was available when we ordered our 06 plate car.

Another consideration has got to bethe mileage you cover surely? IF your doing lots of miles then a diesel would be the better bet. Not only from a cost perspective, unless you love filling up your car get a diesel.

Trust me, I drive a petrol and filling up 3 times a week is a pain in the butt!

J.

So diesels are quiter at motorway speeds due to the way they burn fuel...

I think maybe one of us misunderstood sat1983's post. It may have been me.

Did the 170 come out on 06. Only the 140 was available when we ordered our 06 plate car.
The 170 came out about mid '06. I ordered June/July '06 and it was available then.

ahaha...
I said that just because my situation changed and i do lots of miles.... while I like to drive the petrol because it is more smooth diesel does make sense if you drive lots of miles...

Pedro

With all due respect, there's probably not much point asking this question without telling us what mileage you do and maybe what you're previous cars were.
I went for the 2.0TFSI because i don't do a huge commute to work and i prefer the sound and general response of a petrol engine.
If i did a lot of miles though it'd be a no brainer...

Paul.

I went for the 170 TDI as its still pretty quick (especially in gear acceleration for overtaking! :hubbahubba: ) and most of my mileage is spent cruising on dual carriageway.

If I did less miles and MPG was not an issue then I would possibly have bought the 2.0T but to be honest I do quite like the way the TDI drives.

I dont have a prejudice against diesel or petrol like some and can see the pros and cons of both but in my current circumstances diesel suits me best.

I went for the 170 TDI as its still pretty quick (especially in gear acceleration for overtaking! :hubbahubba: ) and most of my mileage is spent cruising on dual carriageway.

If I did less miles and MPG was not an issue then I would possibly have bought the 2.0T but to be honest I do quite like the way the TDI drives.

I dont have a prejudice against diesel or petrol like some and can see the pros and cons of both but in my current circumstances diesel suits me best.

Exactly the same story for me. The 170 suits me perfectly as 80% of my driving is on motorways.

Coss

As mentioned, it really depends what you want from a car.
I love my car, but recently had a loaner, a 140 TDi A4 S-line, and was amazed at teh economy it returned on a long run compared to my S3... used half the fuel. My head was saying my next car will have to be a diesal, but when you get to a piece of road you can attack, the driving experience just wasn't as enjoyable. Sure you can adpat the way a diesal behaves, but getting back in to my S3 I had the biggest smile on my face again!

Have a drive of them both, only you can decide what's best for you!!!

Like others said really depends on your mileage - I went for the 170 tdi as I will be doing a fair bit of motorway driving over the coming years. The 170 is fantastic on the motorway - in-gear acceleration is very impressive.

Having said that I also do lots of around town driving picking my kids up and dropping off at friends etc (aka dads taxi) and whilst not as good as the 140 in economy terms it is improving with more mileage and I am more than happy with it.

The 170 is a great mix of performance and economy.

Petrol for me all the time, only do about 10k per year, would find it difficult to change to a diesel, just do not find it appealing in anyway,except for economy.

Petrol for petrolheads, diesel for farmers.

Mark

dont get either of those quatteros thingies get the real thing "quattro"

How are you enjoying the S3 Staz,was it worth not buying one of those house thingies.

Mark

Well looking at the market now I think I made the right decision! I still have a nice deposit left, and no outgoings so that'll get bigger, then when the housing market looks better I can jump straight in!

For now I will just enjoy the beast :yahoo:

Well looking at the market now I think I made the right decision! I still have a nice deposit left, and no outgoings so that'll get bigger, then when the housing market looks better I can jump straight in!

For now I will just enjoy the beast :yahoo:

Nice one !! always knew I was right

Mark

My last car was a 2.5 v6 petrol and my TDI 170 feels just as fast with a lot better economy.Its the 1st diesel motor I have owned and I have to admit I do miss the lack of revs,but once you adjust your driving style with this in mind its a great drive

do have to say that the A3's AC is **** poor,I know this is off topic but over the last few days I have noticed it takes some time to cool the cab down.Its fine after 5mins or so but doesnt seem as powerfull as other motors I have had

i've now made my mind up if i get 1 it with defo be the 2.0 T FSI Quattero s line, millege isn't an issue & i've always had performance cars so performance is my main factor. im just selling my 172 mk2 & before that i had a 2.8 quattero coupe & before that a vr6 & a number of gti's. thanks for all your help & sorry for not elaborating more. matt

pmsl spelling has never been my strong suit. xx

Funny how in different countries diesel cars have a varying perceptions.

Over here, diesel is pretty much a new story for a passenger car, so there is no stigma attached to it. But we love big engine V6 and V8's over here so a low revving high-toque motor is very appealing.

For me...I think I'm getting old. I drove both of these (regrettably we don't get quattro in all models) in FWD and can say that my heart wanted the petrol...but my head said the diesel. The TFSI motor is ****** good though I must say.

Interestingly...my other car is a very high revving warmed Peugeot 306 gti6 and I drove it yesterday for the first time since getting the 170. God you have to rev it to get to speed...the TDi is just effortless...and HEAPS faster...until the twisty bits!