More details of the new 2.0TDI-170 engine

Strange that they've stuck with 170bhp.
Surely it would have made sense to make it more, to make a distinction between it and the existing one.
I note it's Co2 levels are still higher than the opposition too.

There is a 204bhp twin turbo in the pipeline too

That's more like it, but when?
I note the press release makes the following statement

"Audi is setting the pace with this synthesis of excellent dynamism and low fuel consumption, as it has been doing for many years"

That's clearly rubbish.
They are always behind the opposition, and have been for years now.

Look at the latest A4.
Only diesel available is 143bhp, which really is pathetic.

To be fair, an A4 with 143 bhp of diesel under the bonnet must be an awful drive.

I note it's Co2 levels are still higher than the opposition too.

139g/km is not too shabby. It's better than the competition from Renault, Peugeot, Ford, Mazda, and even Honda, for comparable engines.

It's still a bit higher than BMW's 128g/km, but I suspect that is just down to the reduced engine duty cycle ('efficient dynamics'), rather than any intrinsic superiority regarding CO2 emissions.

Look at the latest A4.
Only diesel available is 143bhp, which really is pathetic.

There will soon be the same common-rail TDI-170 as in the facelift A3.

Also there are the 2.7TDI-190 and the 3.0TDI quattro-240.

So they have a 2.0tdi that produces 170bhp and a 2.7tdi that produces 190bhp, not much of an increase in power for what I imagine you'd lose in fuel economy.

139g/km is not too shabby. It's better than the competition from Renault, Peugeot, Ford, Mazda, and even Honda, for comparable engines.

It's still a bit higher than BMW's 128g/km, but I suspect that is just down to the reduced engine duty cycle ('efficient dynamics'), rather than any intrinsic superiority regarding CO2 emissions.

I agree, thats not too shabby for a quattro TDI engine pumping out 170. The truth is somewhere between the Audi pr gubbins and bowfer's line sitting on the fence.

Happy to see this in the new A3 and a welcome addition and hopefully an improvement over the older engine.

So they have a 2.0tdi that produces 170bhp and a 2.7tdi that produces 190bhp, not much of an increase in power for what I imagine you'd lose in fuel economy.

true but then there is a difference between a 4 pot and 6

When is the 204bhp, twin turbo, due out?
Again, helluva co-incidence that they've chosen exactly the same bhp as the BMW twin-turbo unit.
You'd think they would want to beat it, not just match it, a year afterwards!
A 204bhp diesel A4, with quattro and B&O stereo, will definitely tempting in 2 to3 years time.

Again, helluva co-incidence that they've chosen exactly the same bhp as the BMW twin-turbo unit.

My thoughts exactly, I subscribe to various Audi relaetd mags and have not read anything about the 204bhp?

It would be excellent if they did this though and further erode the argument for buying petrol over diesel.

I'm pretty sure I'll return to Diesel eventually with the engine from the 123D being my current favourite but as mentioned before in the forthcoming Alpina 3 series coupe, I may even go for this over the TTS I have on order.

I have just read the article in its entirety, if we are to believe all that we read it will be the best engine ever !! I had to chuckle when it stated the seats offered plenty of space - obviously not talking about the rear set.

A useful article though David and gratefully recieved, I have always rated the VAG diesels so any improvements will be welcomed.

I'm pretty sure I'll return to Diesel eventually with the engine from the 123D being my current favourite but as mentioned before in the forthcoming Alpina 3 series coupe

Thats up at the top in my list as well... Waiting to see if my local dealers going to get one in for a test drive at some point. I've just replaced Claire's car so mine can wait for a while.

J.

Thats up at the top in my list as well... Waiting to see if my local dealers going to get one in for a test drive at some point. I've just replaced Claire's car so mine can wait for a while.

J.

Did Claire get her big 4x4?

Was an article in Autocar recently about the twin turbo engine, cant remember when it said it was due. Was just when I was browsing in Asda one day

A 204bhp diesel A4, with quattro and B&O stereo, will definitely tempting in 2 to3 years time.

BM did the same thing with the M3 didnt they against the RS4, and the M3 came out 2 years later! Same power output for both!!

Be interesting to see when the twin turbo engine comes out if its all true.

LOL, wonderful librairies those supermarkets:)

Ssssh, little tip for you...
Sunday papers always have loads of insert mags?
Which the cashiers rarely, if ever, check?
I've heard that if you insert a car/bike/gadget mag in the middle instead, it's feasible you could walk out with it FOC, accidentally.
That'll teach 'em to charge me full price for sarnies on the day they expire.:arco:

Ssssh, little tip for you...
Sunday papers always have loads of insert mags?
Which the cashiers rarely, if ever, check?
I've heard that if you insert a car/bike/gadget mag in the middle instead, it's feasible you could walk out with it FOC, accidentally.
That'll teach 'em to charge me full price for sarnies on the day they expire.:arco:

Will be trying that on Sunday bowfer, if I get caught I'll be squealing to the pigs about you, you miscreant.

204 bhp is 150 kw - which obviously fits into a convenient euro slot.

More important is whether the new 170 has managed to sort the DPF problems.

I must admit to being disappointed that the new TTD does not have the twin turbo enigne, rumoured to be launched when the Q3 comes out.

I did read the other day in Autocar a story that all future RS Audis will be diesel, if this is even vaguely correct - sorry folks, what does that hold in store for the TT RS?

In case any of you wonder why i am so interested in diesels it is because in the South West they run in a lower capacity class than the equivalent petrol engine. I.e 2.0 litre turbo diesel runs in 1,400 class.