EM TuningBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question Can I retro fit the DIS fuel computer??

I have bought an 05 1.9 TDI SE, unfortunately the last owner was too tight to pay the Ł250 to have the driver information system (DIS) fuel computer.

Do you know if I can buy a module and change the windscreen wiper control to retro fit the DIS?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yes, you can.

A lot of rewiring involved though.

IIRC, you'll need to replace the entire dash wiring harness - the DIS wiring is integrated.

Then you'll need an instrument cluster, control stalk and a LOT of coding to get the lot to work.

Some extra sensors may be required too.

is loving his new A3

Status
    i asked the audi garage and they have said the cost of retrofitting one would be too ridiculous to quote a price for.

yes its Ł250 to have it fitted at factory, but the way guy in service centre was talking sounded like it would be costing around Ł700 (low side) and Ł1000 (top side)

if you manage it could you pm me. i also got a car with a stingy previous owner and want the DIS added
    Oct 06 - Feb 08 VW Polo '06
    Feb 08 - ? A3 1.6 Special Edition '07

Born to Fish

Status
    Ł700-Ł1000 way way to much money for what you get out of it. Ł250 is bloody expensive for what it does.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

5th Gear

Status
    Does the car have the full height DIS Display?? I retro-fitted this to my Dad's A4 and we only needed to change the wiper stalk and re-code with VAG-COM. No extra wiring was needed apaprt from grounding one wire to turn off the low washer fluid level. I know its not the same car but got to be worth a try?
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Ł700-Ł1000 way way to much money for what you get out of it. Ł250 is bloody expensive for what it does.
    Obviously the previous owner of these guys cars also thought Ł250 was too expensive which is why they have a problem. Personally I always specify the DIS on my cars. I find it very useful.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

is loving his new A3

Status
    the reason they gave for it costing a lot was because the wiring would be highly complicated given that the car is already built and has engines in place, making the work fiddly. so the labour cost would be high.
    they would have to fit sensors all over the car, rear seats, petrol tank, tyres, engine bay.

he said it would be a lot of work.

given the "yeah we can do that, its only a small job" for when i asked for cruise control fitting and they quoted me Ł300, i guess the sheer shock in his voice means the price would be massive to get the DIS fitted.

be interested to hear if people had asked and got quotes from the service centre.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyLad View Post
    the reason they gave for it costing a lot was because the wiring would be highly complicated given that the car is already built and has engines in place, making the work fiddly. so the labour cost would be high.
    they would have to fit sensors all over the car, rear seats, petrol tank, tyres, engine bay.
    Sensors for what?! Adding the DIS only gives you MPG figures and time/distance counters.

Audi dealers really do talk a load of rubbish sometimes! I did this retro-fit on an A4 and it cost Ł70 all in. Buy a wiper stalk and be a guinea pig!

Ł300 for crusie is a disgrace, the parts only cost Ł65. Get your spanners out - It is a simple job.
    Last edited by Issac Hunt; 2nd May 2008 at 12:16.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

is loving his new A3

Status
    oh yeah, add a driving feature to your car when you have no previous experience.

cracking idea

Sensors for what?! Adding the DIS only gives you MPG figures and time/distance counters.
    DIS also gives you the oil temperature and a second digital speedo as well as the 2 memories for time, distance, average speed, average mpg. I personally find the digital speedo useful when I go abroad as I can easily set it to kph. I also like the fuel left display as I find when I am sitting in my normal comforatable driving position the steering wheel rim blocks out the fuel gauge.

As for retro fitting, it's the same with most things. The parts are generally not very expensive. It's the labour element that costs the money. If you can do this yourself then you will obviously save money as the labour cost is zero.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyLad View Post
    oh yeah, add a driving feature to your car when you have no previous experience.

cracking idea
    You could always nicely ask a forum member to assist you. Many members here are willing to help with things like that, be it practical assistance or just with advice and tips. Or you could just be sarcastic and ungrateful.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    modern Audi's only have the bare minimum wiring harness that suit the model it was made for. While all things are possible (I've fitted Aircon to my 8L A3 - DONT ASK! LOL) unless your wiling to study the wiring diagrams and able to buy the parts 2nd hand its always going to be very very expensive.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

5th Gear

Status
    If you are not a practical chap, give Gareth at 'Hazzy Dayz' a call. He is an ex-VAG engineer, and can retro-fit most electrics. I'm sure he will be able to do this, and he runs mobile too.

http://www.vwcruise.com/

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you get the digital speedo on the DIS?

Rob
    A3 8P Sportback - 3.2 Quattro - DSG - S Line - Leather - RNSe - Bose - Heated Seats - Rear Parking Aid - Cruise - ILP - Moro Pearl Blue

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Relaxitscool View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you get the digital speedo on the DIS?

Rob
    Digital speedo is only available since 2007 or so. My 2005 sportback does not have it.
    A3 sportback 2.0FSI sport, mauritius blue, proline, alu, interior light pack, rain&light sensor, cruise.