Help me please!

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right, on Tuesday whilst driving through London I was at some lights in the right hand lane and there was a Golf in the left lane. Ahead of the junction the left lane turned into a bus lane so obviously any cars there would have to merge into the right lane. I sped away from the lights (not mega fast or anything) and so did the Golf. I reached about 30 and stopped accelerating whilst he continued. He then came straight towards me and hit the wing of my car with the rear side of his.

I stopped straight away and flashed him as he was very happy to continue down the road. Luckily he was stuck in a queue just ahead giving me time to inspect the damage. When I saw that there was a dent I had to actually open his door to get him to come and have a look. He asked to pull over at the side of the road and I obliged as it was a busy road.

He stated that I was in the wrong lane, the lane I was in was for turning right only, and I told him he was wrong. He then said I should have given way to him but of course that's not true as it was his lane that was to merge with mine. He continued to protest his innocence and said there was no point arguing as the insurance companies had to decide.

We swapped details and off we went.

To cut a long(er) story short, he is now denying that the incident ever occurred and his insurance company will not budge an inch unless I can prove otherwise!

Of course in the rush and the boiling emotions I failed to get any names of witnesses.

I have never been in an accident before so had no dealings with the whole system but I didn’t think it was that harsh! Christ if all you have to do is deny it happened then I might as well get an old banger and drive into his car.

Anyone got any advice please?

Are you absolutely sure a witness hasn't come forward since that saw the whole event, they knew you from the past but didn't get chance to approach you but have been trying to get in touch ever since, perhaps a south based member of this forum 'witnessed' the whole thing!!

Take photos next time bud. snap away.

I hate these unscrupulous buggers, im sorry your on the receiving end of one.

I know its a long shot but could a local authority help with some CCTV footage?

The cameras these days are very clear and detailed.

Good luck.

Depending on how much damage there is I'd be tempted to just draw a line under it, cough up and leave the insurance companies out of it.

Are you absolutely sure a witness hasn't come forward since that saw the whole event, they knew you from the past but didn't get chance to approach you but have been trying to get in touch ever since, perhaps a south based member of this forum 'witnessed' the whole thing!!

Hmm you never know! Are there any London based forum members that were in Hammersmith on Tuesday?

Take photos next time bud. snap away.

I hate these unscrupulous buggers, im sorry your on the receiving end of one.

I know its a long shot but could a local authority help with some CCTV footage?

The cameras these days are very clear and detailed.

Good luck.

I had my phone out ready to take photos of the damage on his car but we couldn't find it because the car was a heap anyway.

CCTV I had thought about yeah but wasn't sure how to go about it.

Depending on how much damage there is I'd be tempted to just draw a line under it, cough up and leave the insurance companies out of it.

I'm was already preparing myself for it as soon as it happened. I have already got a quote on the way to me.

having a crash is a nightmare these days, a mate of mine who works in insurance advised me recently to let try and let nobody leave the scene and call the cops every time regardless how trivial! i know a few people who have swapped 'details' at the scene only to never hear anything ever again.

insurance companies won't try too hard for you as more payout = less profit = so unless it's fairly cut & dried it's in the 'industry's' interests not to pay out

i would ring your local police and ask advice, see what they say about getting your hands on cctv etc, probably only way to prove what actually happened

You've got zero chance of getting access to CCTV.
None whatsover.
What does your insurance company say about it?
All you should really do, in theory, is give them all the details.
It's up to them to fight your case, not you.

TBH mate, you'll be fighting against a brick wall, nobody will want to know or get involved. If the damage is not too bad I'd just get it sorted out privately and then try and put it behind you, if not you'll just end up beating yourself up about it. Not justice I know, but it's the simplest and quickest way.

I had the Works van bumped the other week and even with a reg number from a witness, the Police weren't interested.

Good luck anyway

My insurance company are in Germany and unless I'm claiming on my own insurance policy they're not interested. They say I have to go through his insurance.

I spoke to the Hounslow council earlier about CCTV and they can give it out not a problem but only to police or at the request of a solicitors. So I want to report it to the police of course but I can only do it at a metropolitan police station! Luckily I am going to Twickenham on saturday so I will go earlier and report it then.

I'm not expecting miracles really but I'm not letting this lie just yet. The guy is an ******* and I'd really love it if this went all the way.

I know a good body shop back in Germany who will do the repairs for cheaper than anywhere else (it needs a new wing by the way) but I would have loved to have got it all sorted before going back and showed my girlfriend my pride and joy, without dents.

Without witnesses, it's simply your word against his. 50/50 I'm afraid. Sorry!

Hmmm, thought under the DPA, anyone can request CCTV footage - anyone see Dom Joly's prog the other day about it...? Of course, whether you will get it is another story!

it properly sucks, more & more people don't give a sh1t about their cars and couldn't care less about those of us that do, i park miles from anyone in supermarket car parks because 1 on 3 times you go you end up with a new door scrape

feel for you mate, no justice

S3. 8 Days old.

Thanks for all your sympathies by the way gents.

Man, that sucks :(

Tell me about it. Spent 6 months in Afghan not spending anything, plus the part ex on my A3 to pay for it. Was planning to buy a ZX6R also but I need to hold that off now.

Why should he? Ultimately, from the account given, it was the other driver's fault.

What reason did he give to his insurers for him supplying you with his insurance details?? Surely, that alone would prove that there had been a incident between the vehicles?

*Edit* - hope you get things sorted.

What reason did he give to his insurers for him supplying you with his insurance details?? Surely, that alone would prove that there had been a incident between the vehicles?

He actually called them before I did, so when I queried it I was told he had called to tell them I had stopped him and made up a story about him hitting me.

Why should he? Ultimately, from the account given, it was the other driver's fault.

*Edit* - hope you get things sorted.

If the insurance company find out about a crash, whoever was at fault, your premium will go up. If it was £500 or less damage I'd just cough up for an easy life.

If the insurance company find out about a crash, whoever was at fault, your premium will go up. If it was £500 or less damage I'd just cough up for an easy life.

I appreciate that but: (1) it's the principle; and (2) the OP is going to be out of pocket anyway whether he claims via the insurance or pays out of his own pocket for something that wasn't his fault.

Ultimately, it's the other driver's fault and he should be made to pay up. He sounds like a complete ***** too. I'm not meaning this to sound offensive in any way but if everyone had your attitude of "oh, it's not worth the hassle of pursuing him" then these types of low-lifes will get away with more and more of this type of behaviour.

I appreciate that but: (1) it's the principle; and (2) the OP is going to be out of pocket anyway whether he claims via the insurance or pays out of his own pocket for something that wasn't his fault.

Ultimately, it's the other driver's fault and he should be made to pay up. He sounds like a complete ***** too. I'm not meaning this to sound offensive in any way but if everyone had your attitude of "oh, it's not worth the hassle of pursuing him" then these types of low-lifes will get away with more and more of this type of behaviour.

Completely agree with you in principle, but unfortunatly in this life things aren't always as straight forward.

Couldn't you thump him in the face... that is what we do in Portugal... only then we call the cops if an agreement isn't reached...

Sorry for yout new motor... it will be as new when repaired mate... but I would be gutted.

Pedro

I so very nearly did. I had so much adrenalin running through me my hands were shaking! I figured I'd go through things properly though.

There's still time for violence, ahem.

Couldn't you thump him in the face... that is what we do in Portugal... only then we call the cops if an agreement isn't reached...

Sorry for yout new motor... it will be as new when repaired mate... but I would be gutted.

Pedro

I think i would of had to resort to that type of stuff if the fella bare faced lied to me and wouldn't except his guilt.... i may of dragged him back up the road to where the smash happend!

Scum bag!

As said above i think the only way is to call the police and let them decide at the scene if no ones taking the blame!

p

The Police will only take action if a injury accident or a offence has occured.

You both say that you have swopped details so the law has been complied with.

Its up to the insurance companies now and its 50 50 im afraid with that.....

I really feel for you mate as the exact same thing happened to me 5years ago with a mk4 GTI, The LADY(Witch) in question who caused the acccident claimed that she had four children in the car and a whole host of things too........ it took 5 years to resolve and I made sure that my insurance company did not settle for anything less than complete acceptance of liability on her part..... i was offered everything from completely my fault to 80/20 70/30 etc etc - well it took a long time but i managed complete compensation 5yrs down the line...........

But i think there is a better option..... If you have the f*ckers address, send someone round and make him UNDERSTAND he has caused your car damage and he will pay for it .

Surely the fact that he didn't stop at the scene of the accident means that he has broken the law.

No he did stop mate, after I stopped him. But even though at the scene he disputed who was at fault he at least never denied that his car had caused the damage.

But i think there is a better option..... If you have the f*ckers address, send someone round and make him UNDERSTAND he has caused your car damage and he will pay for it .

That's the last resort.

Gutted for you matey,hope you get it sorted soon.

Mark

Cheers Mark. By the way you've been a bit quiet recently. Busy life?

Leon