Jacking the car up

Matt

Reaction score
I'm thinking about jacking the car up at some point to clean the inside of the wheels up and maybe swap them front to back.

Seen a few threads on here about people buckling part of the sill so is there anywhere else I can jack the car up on thats a bit better? Will be using a trolley jack, dont like or trust scissor jacks.

People only buckled the sills because they put the scissor jack in the wrong place.
God knows how, the jacking points are very clear, without even checking the manual.
FWIW, I changed umpteen punctures on my A3 (we have a packing company who drop nails all over the place..) with the scissor jack, without any instability problems.

I've jacked up all of my A3s using the supplied scissor jack and have never had any problems. As Bowfer says, providing you place the jack in the correct places, indicated by the arrow markings on the cill there should be no problems.

There have been issues with the new S3's and the scissor jacks catching the bodykit of them. I've jacked up mine didnt have any issues... as long as you jack up in the correct place you definately shoudn't have problem on your A3.
Cheers

If you are concerned, get a small piece of wood and place it on top of the jack and this will spread the weight a bit better but if you have it positioned in the right place, it will be fine!

My old clio sills buckled and they were always in the right spot! Get yourself a decent jack instead of the OEM one

I've got a trolley jack so wont be using the scissor jack. So if I put some wood on the jack (which I would normally do) I can jack up off the sills ok?

Why not just use the correct jacking points, that were designed for lifting the car?

Look on the plastic undertray just behind the front wheel and just in front of the back wheel, there is a plastic cover about 4 inches in diameter that swivels round to uncover the correct part of the body to jack it up using a trolley jack/ramp.

I think you'll find that people have used the correct jacking points and the Audi jack has collapsed.

Mine did when I used it putting a dent in the sill. Car was jacked using the correct jacking point on level groud. Just that the jack wasn't upto the task and folded.

I complained to my dealer who gave me a new jack but I gave up trying to get Audi to repair it so paid for it myself (I was changing my car anyway)

J.

I understand that, I didn't mean the crappy scissor jack that's made of meccano and the sill jacking points.

I meant the toughened chassis jacking points for use with a trolley jack/tower.

fecking Audi jacks!...I've got one of those stupid ones that came with my A4 that is a single legged bar with a piece that folds out and lifts the car.....looks unsafe and tbh doesn't look up to the job.

I tried it last week and all was going will until I noticed a build up of black stuff on the thread of the long bolt that is turned to lift and lower the jack....To my horror it was chewing away at my plastic sill and left it marked on the underside.

I'll be buying a trolley jack next time in I'm the town.

Used my trolley jack recently when taking off the winter tyres - problem was that the front end was too low to accept the jack and the wood piece... so, had to do the back first. Before lowering the car, I then placed a wood board under each back wheels, then the front was high enough too accept the trolley jack and the wood board. Then when all wheels was changed, I just reversed down from the slightly raised back end :)

Gotta take all 4 wheels off next week, as I'm painting the calipers silver, plus have the remove the rear arch liners to make way for the 19"s and coilovers! So I'll be buying some axle stands and a new jack. Any recommendations on on?

I've got a £20 2 tonne jack from Halfrauds that has lasted me for years. I think my axel stands came from them as well. But I have had they for about 15 years...

Gotta take all 4 wheels off next week, as I'm painting the calipers silver, plus have the remove the rear arch liners to make way for the 19"s and coilovers! So I'll be buying some axle stands and a new jack. Any recommendations on on?

You shouldnt need to remove the arch liners entirely

You can cut them at the edge of the arch or just let them be becuase the tyre will burn through them

Plus, removing them will make the car sound very noisey inside!

People have put the jack in teh wrong plac but the majority of complaints re. jacks on this site have been with them failing.

Like mind did - and Audi paid 60% of my repair bill, which was £1470

You shouldnt need to remove the arch liners entirely

You can cut them at the edge of the arch or just let them be becuase the tyre will burn through them

Plus, removing them will make the car sound very noisey inside!

Thanks for the advice boydie. But they're still all coming out. The rears anyway.

I've got a £20 2 tonne jack from Halfrauds that has lasted me for years. I think my axel stands came from them as well. But I have had they for about 15 years...

I spoke to my friend earlier today J, and he said the same thing. I'm gonna nip to halfords tomorrow and get me a 2 tonne jack as well. Top man. Thanks :kiss: