Hi I am thinking about putting my baby round the Ring, couple of questions
    1. Do I need to update the brakes?
    2. Which ones would you recommend?
    3. Will I go through a set of tyres?
    4. Is it fun?
    5. Are you still reading?
    6. Still?
    Your help has been good so far..
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Yay another Nurburgring thread Looking forward to my first trip in the S3.

S3_Big_Andy

1. No you don't need to uprate the brakes. Standard brakes are plenty good enough. Most people do 1 lap at a time and have a rest in between (you have to stop in between to queue for the next lap anyway) so your brakes will have time to cool then.
    2. I'd recommend standard brakes.
    3. You certainly won't go through a set of tyres. The track has a normal tarmac surface, not like some other tracks which are very rough, so doing a lap of it is like doing the same distance on a normal road, albeit at a very fast speed.
    4. Yes it is fun. A great trip and very worth the cost.
    5. Yes.
    6. No.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Andy,

The car as it is will be fine. with 77 bends per lap fun is an understatement.

The one thing to remember is go there to have fun NOT race. I have been 4 times now and am getting quicker each time but have also returned each time with no problems. Try and follow one of the school cars around for your first lap to get used to the flow of the track. Then enjoy. the track is forgiving providing your not pusshing too hard. If you are smooth you can have the car sliding and be loving it. Enjoy.

Status
    Ten laps at Castle Combe and I was starting to get a juddery pedal, but that said I didn't notice any significant drop off in brake performance. My personal opinion is that they are perfectly good brakes, and no worse than the Brembo's on my old LCR.

Milltek upgraded their S3 brakes to RS4's as they were doing a fair bit of track work, but if you're doing the odd lap they're fine.

I'd recommend taking a set of Ferodo DS2000's in your boot just in case you wear the pads out. A very basic toolkit of pipe repair tape, a jubilee clip or two as spares, a couple of screwdrivers, a spare DV (take an OE one if you have uprated yours), a litre bottle of oil. The only other thing I'd consider taking, but it would require more tools is a set of spark plugs. If you do any long term high speed runs a few people have suffered and needed to change them well inside the required service life).

I'd rather have a bit of extra weight and be driving back rather than taking the low loader option home!

Tyres will not be badly affected (although obviously being pushed they will wear quicker than normal road use).
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Ten laps at Castle Combe and I was starting to get a juddery pedal, but that said I didn't notice any significant drop off in brake performance. My personal opinion is that they are perfectly good brakes, and no worse than the Brembo's on my old LCR.

Milltek upgraded their S3 brakes to RS4's as they were doing a fair bit of track work, but if you're doing the odd lap they're fine.

I'd recommend taking a set of Ferodo DS2000's in your boot just in case you wear the pads out. A very basic toolkit of pipe repair tape, a jubilee clip or two as spares, a couple of screwdrivers, a spare DV (take an OE one if you have uprated yours), a litre bottle of oil. The only other thing I'd consider taking, but it would require more tools is a set of spark plugs. If you do any long term high speed runs a few people have suffered and needed to change them well inside the required service life).

I'd rather have a bit of extra weight and be driving back rather than taking the low loader option home!

Tyres will not be badly affected (although obviously being pushed they will wear quicker than normal road use).
    To be honest I think that's a bit of overkill Warren. In a new car you're very unlikely to suffer with any problems with the car. If the existing pads are fine then they'll still be fine after many laps of the ring. DV? Only if others have experienced problems after hard use but with a decent one there should be no problems. Plugs are supposed to last 20,000 miles or so so unless you're getting close to them being changed anyway then you won't need them.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be prepared (in my job I have to be very prepared) but with a new, solidly built car like the S3 you're not going to have problems. And even if you do there are plenty of garages around that'll sort you out.
    8P2 S3

Quattro

Status
    What you guys think about Stainless Steel Brake Lines ?

6th Gear

Status
    I'm going in September as part of a 5 car convoy of various brands, all first timers so a useful thread. Ditto what has been said don't go to race go to have some fast fun and bring yourself and your car back in one piece.

Spin
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    To be honest I think that's a bit of overkill Warren. In a new car you're very unlikely to suffer with any problems with the car. If the existing pads are fine then they'll still be fine after many laps of the ring.
    If you owned my car you'd take an Audi spares lorry with you.

12,000 miles and I've had:

New clutch
    Flywheel
    Rear differential
    Front OS damper
    New plugs (at 9k)
    New MAF

I appreciate you should be OK in a new car, but if you were I wouldn't be in the Audi dealership every other week. I'm just pleased for you that your car works.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    If you owned my car you'd take an Audi spares lorry with you.

12,000 miles and I've had:

New clutch
    Flywheel
    Rear differential
    Front OS damper
    New plugs (at 9k)
    New MAF

I appreciate you should be OK in a new car, but if you were I wouldn't be in the Audi dealership every other week. I'm just pleased for you that your car works.
    Is it modded??
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    I'm all booked and off to the Ring in June. Going for the week, to be honest i get little chance to have a good run in the S3 and always seem to be stuck behind someone doing half the legal speed limt so i'm craving to have a good blast. I want to sell the S3 in a couple of years and have some good memories beyond all the traffic jams i've sat in. I'd also preffer to get say 18mpg thrashing the car than 18mpg in queues
    RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm all booked and off to the Ring in June. Going for the week, to be honest i get little chance to have a good run in the S3 and always seem to be stuck behind someone doing half the legal speed limt so i'm craving to have a good blast. I want to sell the S3 in a couple of years and have some good memories beyond all the traffic jams i've sat in. I'd also preffer to get say 18mpg thrashing the car than 18mpg in queues
    What exactly are you going? I'm looking at going first weekend of June. But we have a long weekend on the second one although some of the lads have plans already. I may even go both! lol
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    I'm setting off Monday 9th June and will be heading back on Friday 13th June so i assume you will have been and gone by then?
    Last edited by Kris; 25th April 2008 at 23:51.
    RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

is a retronaut

Status
    yes I'll be there for the weeked(s) only.
    8P2 S3

Mellow Yellow

Status
    have a look at www.northloop.co.uk for some good first timer advice.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm going back out on the 27th of June for my 3rd trip in the A3, can't wait!!

I'm still running the original and weedy 288mm brakes, not the best for 'ring use but i drive around them with my god-like ability behind the wheel...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    If the existing pads are fine then they'll still be fine after many laps of the ring.
    agreed, the ring isn't a circuit that's particularly heavy on the brakes (unlike Donnington with the Adelaide hairpin which kills brakes)

if you find you are getting brake fade you're not linking the corners together properly/over driving the car and will end up with an armco repair bill

check the fluids and tyre pressures before you go on the circuit, look for the apex dots painted on the aprons, take your time to build up speed and most of all have fun!

one final point, make sure you have insurance - if you do have a spill you will be charged for recovery, armco repairs plus loss of profit from circuit closure (2.5k/hour)

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sleep envy View Post
    one final point, make sure you have insurance - if you do have a spill you will be charged for recovery, armco repairs plus loss of profit from circuit closure (2.5k/hour)
    The matter of insurance has been discussed extensively here:

Nurburgring Trip 2008?

I don't bother with insurance. For reasons you'll find in the above post.
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sleep envy View Post
    agreed, the ring isn't a circuit that's particularly heavy on the brakes
    I agree, up to a point.. trouble with mine i find is that being a diesel you really miss the engine braking that a petrol motor gives, couple that with a nose-led heavy engine and relatively small discs makes it.. interesting lol!

Find myself having to give the brakes a go where i wouldnt normally in a petrol car for the same given corner entry speed, whereas my old MKV GTI could be settled on the over-run in a gear for a corner, the A3 runs on and needs a dab of the brakes to compensate for the lack of engine braking, do that over 70-odd corners and the brakes soon cry enough lol!

1st Gear

Status
    not done it in the weasle yet - have too much fun in the track toy