EM TuningSky Insurance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2nd Gear

Status
    Sprint, White & Phantom.

Mate bought sprint, previous 2.0T was phantom so only left white and after seeing a couple of pics

So glad i got it now too. Even the misses when i first told her pulled a face but when i pulled up on the drive in it for the first time just looked shocked and said it looked amazing! (and she never says anything about jam jars!)
    2008 S3 in Ibis White

291BHP! STANDARD on 95ron Fuel. Get In.
    All Hail Mitch78

2. # ADS
    ADS

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Firstly, not sure what the point of this thread is?
    But anyway... I think you're bang wrong about which colours show off a car better. No colour HIDES the lines of a car like white. In my opinion white is wrong for most Audi's. Better colour for smooth lined cars like a carrera not angular cars like most Audi's. I have Avus silver and that is the mutts nuts for showing off angles on a car. Wouldn't swap it for anything and i'd specify it on any new Audi. Hides the dirt a treat too.
    People definitely don't buy silver because they're not 'brave' enough for white. Silver is an all time classic. Mark my words...White may be in fashion but manufacturers will ALWAYS go back to showing new cars in silver shades. White is a dirt magnet, high maintenance and once you're over a certain age it tends to scream 'midlife crisis'. Don't get me wrong, it looks great on sports models e.g. the S3.
    Grey...Bit dull? Aston launched the V8 Vantage in grey, BMW launched the M3 in grey, best colour for a Ferrari F430 is grey. Bentley launch everything in grey...Agreed...All very dull looking!
    Anyway no offence but your opinion on colours is very 'fashion victim'. The classic colours for fast Audi's will always be black, silver (in whatever shade) and sprint blue. I will agree on one thing though....Respect to anyone who specifies solar orange. Thats one hell of a colour. Get ready for a drop in resale though!!

Paul.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    A bad attempt with Paint but here goes:

S5 rims look great mate... Reps i assume. Where did you pick those up?

For Sale:

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    S5 rims look great mate... Reps i assume. Where did you pick those up?
    Not my car mate:

Another S3 from down south

I just borrowed it to put the rings on.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

exploring other avenues

Status
    @pnh80 - bit aggressive but entitled to your opinion i suppose although you put it across like it was fact, which it isn't. If you don't see the point in the thread don't bother commenting. Think you're wrong about white and silver, white is great for angular cars a it picks off the shadows and accentuates creases. I agree silver is timeless but unless it's on a car with fantastic design can get lost and be anonymous
    2008 pre facelift 2.0 TDi 140 S-Line A3 Ibis
    2008 new model 2.0 TDi 140 SE A4 Quartz Grey for family wheels

'60's bug in the pipeline!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dsl55 View Post
    @pnh80 - bit aggressive but entitled to your opinion i suppose although you put it across like it was fact, which it isn't. If you don't see the point in the thread don't bother commenting. Think you're wrong about white and silver, white is great for angular cars a it picks off the shadows and accentuates creases. I agree silver is timeless but unless it's on a car with fantastic design can get lost and be anonymous
    I'm not going to get picky over this but you are wrong about white. Flat white has no pigment or 'paint fleck' to pick up changes in light, change in direction in the contours of the car etc. It gives a solid blanket of colour and does not accentuate the lines of a car. There's no real argument otherwise, you just have to look scientifically at what 'white' is. It reflects EVERYTHING you shine at it.
    White is a great colour for sports cars with flowing lines...But when it comes to square, angular cars it can look bobbins.
    Don't get me wrong, flat silver can also look crappy on certain cars. Totally depends on the model.

For Sale:

S3 (8P)

Status
    If you dont reckon Sprint is the best then your wrong, unless you say Black and then your only half wrong.

This is a fact btw, found it somewhere on the internet ...or something...

Viva Sprint!

cheers

exploring other avenues

Status
    dude, have said it before and i'll say it again, been around car forums long enough to know you'll never agree with everyone and on this we'll have to agree to disagree 'cos i still don't agree with you!

can you honestly say the a3 in s3 or even s line form looks cack in white?

t

is a retronaut

Status
    I'm not going to get picky over this but you are wrong about white.
    I think I agree with dsl55 on this one lol

you just have to look scientifically at what 'white' is. It reflects EVERYTHING you shine at it.
    If that were true mirrors would be white! If you want to get scientific that is.

Ibis White isn't a flat white though is it? I mean I have noticed white cars more now and on other models it still looks as drap as ever.
    8P2 S3

S3 (8P)

Status
    Have look in the `Big Book of AUDI science facts`., right at the front it says "....all S3 colours are cool, but Sprint blue is best !..."

Available in all good book shops.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Grey...Bit dull? Aston launched the V8 Vantage in grey, BMW launched the M3 in grey, best colour for a Ferrari F430 is grey. Bentley launch everything in grey...Agreed...All very dull looking!

Paul.
    Note the title of the thread, PNH80, S3 colours, I'm not talking all cars here....

L60N
    Flat white has no pigment or 'paint fleck' to pick up changes in light, change in direction in the contours of the car etc. .
    *cough* ******** *cough*

It gives a solid blanket of colour and does not accentuate the lines of a car. There's no real argument otherwise, you just have to look scientifically at what 'white' is. It reflects EVERYTHING you shine at it..
    *cough* ******** *cough*

White is a great colour for sports cars with flowing lines...But when it comes to square, angular cars it can look bobbins.
    *cough* ******** *cough*

People say you wont be swayed on this, but i have some pictures that will show you that white looks awesome at showing the lines and creases.

Look at the shadows around the fog lamp areas, around the wheel arches and along the sides etc....

Now eat your words PNH80!!!!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

exploring other avenues

Status
    lush - a word from my childhood reserved these days for very very nice cars and girls!

On Boost

Status
    There is no fact in this thread it's 100% opinion.

Everytime i have a black car ( always , never had anything else ) i always say "i'm gonna try something different next time" but as soon as i get it together to buy a car i get a sort of tourettes and it just screams Balckblackblackblackblackblackblack!

lol

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    haha your funny leon

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

1st Gear

Status
    There is only one thing for certain about this thread and that's everyone will think their colour is best, and why not that's why you bought it!

I actually made a 150 mile round trip to the nearest Audi dealer with a selection of S3's to see as many colours in the flesh as possible. I saw new S3's in White, Black, Orange and Sprint blue all polished up and looking the dogs. I was interested mainly in seeing the Sprint blue as i was a little concerned it may be too loud and shouting steel me .... steel me! It did look a bit bright but i really liked the colour so thought to hell with it, it's insured so why compromise and so bought one.

They all look good ...... enjoy
    RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

L60N
    I dont think any one is better than the other, I love black,blue,red,white, u cant cant have them all but PNH80's comments were a bit ********, lets be honest :P

S3 (8P)

Status
    All of the colours are equal IMO, just Sprint is more equal...

1st Gear

Status
    I thought Ibis white was the colour till I saw a avus silver. Even though the price was high, I ordered it without hesitation.

3rd Gear

Status
    Obviously white for me, but Suzuka(spelling) grey looks equally as good. My last three cars have been black, and ten minutes after cleaning look dirty again.

I must say white is very easy to keep clean, and always seems to look clean - even though I dont clean it myself!!! And the dark wheels are legendry, always look smart and never look dirty - I didnt clean my car for about 3 weeks and it still looked clean
    RS4 family wagon.....gone but not forgotten

S.3RIZZLE.....

Status
    This post is starting to sound like the united colours of benneton !!! and written by the bloody Power Rangers at that !!!!

Its fair to say everyone has a bloody S3 in the post (at least most) and on that note the only colour that should matter is your rear lights ........... its the only thing people should be seeing ............

When the turbo kicks in and your passenger makes that discreet move to hold on to the door handle, the people in the back put their belt on whilst trying not to catch ur eye in the drivers mirror ............. at that point do any of you really give a flying fcuk what colour ur car is .............

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S.3THRIZZLE View Post
    at that point do any of you really give a flying fcuk what colour ur car is
    Negative megatron....my woman will just look at me and ask "is that all?", as if I've gave her 2 minutes of satisfaction.

That woman......she loves them fast cars, oh yes she does. Nothing would impress her much after that ride in the stage 3 b5s4, or that evo with god knows how many lbs of boost. The S3...merely a tickle.

damm, am I pussy whiped
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

3rd Gear

Status
    no way i would i go for white..
    Definetley blue ...........
    wicked colour

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by missviper View Post
    no way i would i go for white..

Ha ha, says the man with the yellow car

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli.H View Post
    Ha ha, says the man with the yellow car
    I think missviper may be a girl.
    8P2 S3

3rd Gear

Status
    women with the yellow car - oooops!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    I dont think any one is better than the other, I love black,blue,red,white, u cant cant have them all but PNH80's comments were a bit ********, lets be honest :P
    What?! Its not even my opinion. Scientific fact mate. I'm not going to come down to your level and be a bigot telling people they're talking "********". Leave that in the boozer cheers. Do a bit of research, you've got access to the net so there's no excuse for ignorance really.
    Flat white is one of the worst colours for showing the shape and lines of an object. Yes white makes things 'easier' to see but doesn't lend itself to showing off change in contour. Thats why white is used to actually hide imperfections. Gloss white especially makes it difficult to see the true shape of an object under strong light. I thought this was almost common sense? The more light an object reflects the more difficult it is to see it's details. If anything your photos strengthen my argument! Look at the lines on the bonnet, white kills them. Yes, split lines are visible but thats due to shadow, not the colour. Don't you understand that?
    There's no way anyone could argue that a white car shows off it's lines better than a pearl or metallic colour. It's physically impossible just by the inherant nature of white paint. Whatever though, if you can't get your head around that i won't lose any sleep over it.
    I'll expect some witty, educated response like "********" or maybe "bull****" this time.

Anyway here's a photo to help you understand what i'm saying. This is my Avus silver A3... Note how every single change in contour of the bumper is crisp and clearly visible. White cannot achieve this as it reflects too much light and has no fleck to catch light at different angles.

Cheers.

Paul.

For Sale:

is a retronaut

Status
    Although I agree that white doesn't show lines as well, and yes L6ONs pictures do emphasize your point, saying white reflects more light than silver really is not true. It reflects WHITE light which, for some reason I'm sure, doesn't show up those lines. Plus a metallic paint also has the added bonus of being reflective to light from other souces. For example the reflection of your driveway can be seem clearly at the bottom of your bumper and does a fabulous job of showing the shape of that area.
    8P2 S3

L60N
    What?! Its not even my opinion. Scientific fact mate. I'm not going to come down to your level and be a bigot telling people they're talking "********". Leave that in the boozer cheers. Do a bit of research, you've got access to the net so there's no excuse for ignorance really.
    Flat white is one of the worst colours for showing the shape and lines of an object. Yes white makes things 'easier' to see but doesn't lend itself to showing off change in contour. Thats why white is used to actually hide imperfections. Gloss white especially makes it difficult to see the true shape of an object under strong light. I thought this was almost common sense? The more light an object reflects the more difficult it is to see it's details. If anything your photos strengthen my argument! Look at the lines on the bonnet, white kills them. Yes, split lines are visible but thats due to shadow, not the colour. Don't you understand that?
    There's no way anyone could argue that a white car shows off it's lines better than a pearl or metallic colour. It's physically impossible just by the inherant nature of white paint. Whatever though, if you can't get your head around that i won't lose any sleep over it.
    I'll expect some witty, educated response like "********" or maybe "bull****" this time.

Anyway here's a photo to help you understand what i'm saying. This is my Avus silver A3... Note how every single change in contour of the bumper is crisp and clearly visible. White cannot achieve this as it reflects too much light and has no fleck to catch light at different angles.

Cheers.

Paul.
    Nice,

I wasnt being a bigot, how can me saying that all colours are equally nice equate to being a bigot?? You need to look back in the thread, read back your comments and reveal the bigot pal.

I was also trying to hint that colour choice is a matter of preference.

Finally, if you want to talk scientifics about the light reflecting properties of colours, i'll leave you to it as Ive got more interesting things to do. Like paint my ceiling. Ta ta.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Did some one call my pint a puff ?

PS - Sprint is best, me Mam said so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12