LED lights

TrickyLad

is loving his new A3
Reaction score
Given that new EU law is going to make us all drive around with our side lights on during the day, hence why all new Audis have the long life LEDs on new models, is it possible to get the LED running lights retro fitted to the A3.

I imagine if take it to the dealer they will say either no its too much work, or yes and charge mea fortune. LEDS are only pennies to buy so hopefully the only cost would be the labour of wiring them up.

cheers in advance

The A3 facelift has them built into the Xenon light units. LEDs may be pennies, but those units from Audi will cost mega bucks!

i imagine audi will nail us for the units. however how much is it going to cost to have to constantly replace burned out side lights.

thats why they put in LEDs, cos they dont die if you have them on all the time.

If they do i might try to recover the expenses from the EU for imposing stupid rules :applaus:

Do we know if the light cluster is a different shape with the reprofiled bumper?

I cant say I've seen any posts regarding a direct swop. I would imagine they are to keep the costs down. We need a brave volunteer with deep pockets to head down to the Audi parts department. Any takers??

I cant say I've seen any posts regarding a direct swop. I would imagine they are to keep the costs down. We need a brave volunteer with deep pockets to head down to the Audi parts department. Any takers??

Very deep pockets for a couple of Audi Xenon units:scared2:

My old Renault had to have the surround replaced , no bulbs , no starter , just the case/surround that was £250 dabs!

p

This has been discussed before on here. Everyone pretty much agreed that the new style headlight units won't fit a pre facelift A3 as Audi have a habit of changing the external shape so they can't be fitted.

I'm waiting until Audi have parts lists for the A3 cab (they may have already, anyone know?) and am going to try and buy just the LED unit. It should be pretty easy to fit. All depends on whether the current bi-xenons circuit likes LEDs. Some people have fitted LED bulbs into sidelights or taillights etc but because LEDs don't drawn as much current as a standard bulb the car's computer thinks you have a blown bulb and kills the power to that light.

I'm sure I can suss something out though!

Someone posted the part numbers for the headlights a while ago. I don't think you can just fit the LED part as the headlamp internals have changed. The Xenon light is now at the outer edge with the indicator next to the grill.

s3080003_medium.jpg

Why not just swap the bulbs for LEDs like I have?

I'll post some pics later today if you like.

EDIT: No I'm not thick, (well not very) I've upgraded from the ones in my signature.

Would like to see some pics (or even in the flesh) What sig would that be, I only see a car? Or is it me being think now? :think:

Someone posted the part numbers for the headlights a while ago. I don't think you can just fit the LED part as the headlamp internals have changed. The Xenon light is now at the outer edge with the indicator next to the grill.

s3080003_medium.jpg
Sorry, but I don't think those new lights are as nice as the old ones.

I've noticed on some of the MkIV Golfs where the indicator was on the inside that it was sometimes hard to see if the main lights were on.

I'm sure they have but I reckon that LED unit will still fit in my headlight cluster.

Why not just swap the bulbs for LEDs like I have?

I'll post some pics later today if you like.

EDIT: No I'm not thick, (well not very) I've upgraded from the ones in my signature.

Mitch, have you got round the light-out warning with your LEDs? Have you used resistors?

With regards to the facelift S3 above - lights might look good in the flesh, not sure. What were they thinking with the wing mirrors?!!! They are the worst, un-sporty things I have ever seen!! Bumper re-shape looks good, but probably not that visible on a black car anyway.

AL

they are a necassary evil

if we all drive around with side lights on during the day, you need a light source that wont kill your battery and wont burn out quickly = LEDs

You'd have to be crazy to choose to fit them. They should of been left on the R8 as they suit that.

No offence but I think they look the same as the PIAA bulbs redbutcher has. Maybe a touch brighter.

Looking good Mitch! Did you need to do the resistor trick to avoid the blown bulb message in the dis?

PIAA are releasing some new H227 bulbs next month so going to try those out - might still go for these if the new bulbs aren't any good.

LOL - no, you're right it's not a big job - may end up doing it if the new bulbs aren't any good.

Got any links for where you got them from and resistors required?

They're much brighter/whiter, I had the PIAAs myself before these so I'm not just saying "mine's better than yours" I'm being completely honest and unbiased, and the difference is unbelievable. Well worth the money.

No I believe you mate don't worry. Do you think it was worth the hassle though? They are DRLs after all.

One way you could maybe avoid the use of resistors is by connecting your DRLs and the sidelight bulbs in parallel. They'd both be on day and night together, which isn't a bad thing.

Not sure on the min wattage for the lights circuit though unless you can tell us that circuit?