Audi reveals 2009 A3 facelift and A3 Sportback

Audi reveals 2009 A3 facelift and A3 Sportback
Posted on Wednesday 23 April 2008

Audi has revealed the new face of the range with the unveiling today of the 2009 A3 and A3 The A3 has been a stunning seller for Audi since the launch of the first generation model back in 1996, with over 1.9 million units built since then, and the latest facelifted version is likely to continue that success thanks to a raft of new technologies not normally found in this segment.

The new A3 lineup is now available with Audi’s S tronic seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, magnetic ride adaptive suspension and parking aids both front and rear. Other changes include the addition of the new Sportback model, which is now available in performance S3 trim complete with a 265hp (195kW) powerplant and quattro AWD traction.

New visual details include a re-sculpted front bumper and hood, a large single-frame radiator grille, revised headlights with optional bi-xenon globes and LED daytime running lights, side mirrors with integrated turn signals and new door handles.

As before, Audi is bringing the A3 and A3 Sportback onto the market with eight different engines – five petrol and three diesel versions. The lineup includes a 102hp (75kW) 1.6L petrol unit, 125hp (92kW) 1.4L TFSI, 160hp (118kW) 1.8L TFSI, 200hp (147kW) 2.0L TFSI and a range topping 3.2L V6 with 250hp (184kW) on tap. The diesel range includes a 1.9L TDI with 105hp (77kW) and two 2.0L TDI units with either 140hp (103kW) or 170hp (125kW).

The 1.6L petrol is capable of running on ethanol, while the most efficient motor – the 1.9 TDI in an ‘e’ economy model – consumes just 4.5L of diesel per 100km (52mpg).
Shipping will commence in the middle of the year, with prices in Europe starting at €20,350.:w00t:

Phew....:happy:

Anyone else feel lucky that they got their A/S 3 earlier before the facelift?
I for sure am. Wonder what new goodies they have for the interior though.

By the way, does anyone know what's so special about the new door handles?

I must say I really prefer the front of the current 8P. I even prefer our current interior hazard triangle!
Same goes for the A4, they spoilt it. The rear end looks cheap.

ok that a3 looks just plain bad!

but i think the s3 isn't to bad. I'm just not keen on the over sized side mirrors and the led's so that leaves the only real change that i like being the little bump above the fog lights.

Lame audi... Two facelifts... Now you're just getting lazy!

oooo.....some googling around shows that there will be a revised 2.0T engine as well?

2406840874_257913b256.jpg

From a new passat.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3784960

For the sake of going against the crowd here, I for one love the new changes and think the little modifications they have done keep 8P model looking fresh

The blue one above, is that an S3 badge on the grille? An S3 sportback

I quite like the changes, very subtle, am still hoping mine turns up as a current model but will have to see.

cant decide, good or bad. swinging towards not as good.

I do want those headlights though

Don't like the wheels on the new S3, but I'd be interested to try one with magnetic ride to see how it compares with mine.....

Thumbs up !

I think it has freshened things up and made some of the lines bolder in line with the competition. The new wheels are likely to be a 'grower' over time IMO.

Love the new front end, and the indicators in the wing mirrors.

Interior changes are not so good, and I dont like the new S3 wheels. Much prefer the current ones, even if they are a pain to clean!

Looks good to me but unfortunately everybody with a pre face lift A3/S3 can wave bye bye to £1000 on their residuals when these stunners arrive over here.

Been in a A3 cabriolet over in Germany and it looked far far better than any of the pictures i had seen previously.

Mines only 2 months old and i might be feeling a change coming on :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Passat mirrors.. nice :sadlike:

Quite like the front end of that SB though..

I have to say I like it. Like TFSi I think it will probably look better in reality. I want LED lights. I won't be changing my car until the completely new model is introduced in 2010/11 or whenever. No sense in changing over some minor cosmetic changes.

It's always the same problem when buying a car...newer models are always introduced. It's very difficult to keep up with the manufacturers.

It looks sweet the way the bonnet lines run right through the front bumper. I like that.

S3 Sportback I like.

A3 facelift I prefer mine over it at the moment but I'm sure it will grow on me in time.

S3 Sportback I like.

A3 facelift I prefer mine over it at the moment but I'm sure it will grow on me in time.

I think the S3 SB looks gash! Turned a hot hatch into a hot people carrier :puke:

what on earth is that gear stick, i only just noticed it.

also the wing mirrors look like the designer forgot about them and just stuck some on with tape

?new door handles
I'm not sure anyone other than an 'anorak' will spot the difference, so will residuals really be knackered??

I presume we'll be able to purchase those rear light clusters and fit them to our present models...........look like the same dimensions.........

And i wonder how long till the Sat Nav with the new buttons pops up on Ebay?

QUite fancy that too

I think I've got a few retrofit projects to look into now... Colour DIS, chrome foglight surrounds and front and rear parking sensors just for starters.

EDIT: The headlamps will be just too expensive to even think about.

Agree with a lot of posts - I'm really not convinced about the new front end and I just don't get the LED DRLs - IMO they look tacky.

The mirrors are massive - maybe it's just the pictures making them look bigger - who knows :think:.

S3 Sportback - a nice looking car - if it didn't have the LED DRLs!

Interior changes - looks like there are chrome trimmed heater controls - do you get those in the S3 at the mo?

Having said all the above, give it a few months and once I've seen a few in the flesh I'll probably end up coming round to liking the changes :happy:

meh, its just a facelift version... so I guess not a whole lot should be expected. I think this styling thought though just carries the A3/S3 into the next 5 years?

Got to say I really like it but will have to see what my order is......

Still not build date on mine so I may have to have a new one.

Also the headlight switch, has the little chrome bits on the outside of it. Does any1 know if this is available in the new A3 cab? If so I can order it, whens it out?

fleet manager at work has just had a call from our dealer and I'm getting mine Wk 23. The new one is being made WK 22 and I will be getting one.

I am suprisingly happy about this. :arco:

Also the headlight switch, has the little chrome bits on the outside of it. Does any1 know if this is available in the new A3 cab? If so I can order it, whens it out?

Isn't the TT headlamp switch the same?