JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10

    iPhone and Audi phone prep/MFSW

    Hi guys first post so be gentle with me.
    Does the iphone work ok with the Audi phone prep/MFSW
    Dont want to buy one then have problems connecting it to the car.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    RAC 500W

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    180
    Cant help you with that im afraid but are you sure you want to buy an iPhone? Slightly off topic i know but its not all its cracked up to be.

    Rich

  4. #3
    The Damned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    Hi guys first post so be gentle with me.
    Does the iphone work ok with the Audi phone prep/MFSW
    Dont want to buy one then have problems connecting it to the car.
    Yes it does

    Quote Originally Posted by RichC View Post
    Cant help you with that im afraid but are you sure you want to buy an iPhone? Slightly off topic i know but its not all its cracked up to be.

    Rich
    Who says? I can't imagine life without mine! Just wish I'd waited for the 3G one thats coming out in a couple of months

  5. #4
    RAC 500W

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Maximo View Post
    Who says? I can't imagine life without mine! Just wish I'd waited for the 3G one thats coming out in a couple of months
    It is obviously just my opinion but i feel it is severely lacking in several areas. Also it annoys me how O2 sale people make it out to be the absolute dogs b*llocks when it does have its flaws.

    The main reason i pass this comment though is because i own a mobile phone shop and people are always thanking me for bringing the cons to their attention as nobody seems willing to.

    If you want a device for surfing the internet however then i will openly admit it is the best handset i have used for this by a long long way.

    Rich

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Cheers.
    I have a n95 at the moment and its pants with the car.
    Good deal on the iphone at cfw/O2 169 for the 8GB 100 off.
    Even better if it works with the car.

  7. #6
    RAC 500W

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    Cheers.
    I have a n95 at the moment and its pants with the car.
    Good deal on the iphone at cfw/O2 169 for the 8GB 100 off.
    Even better if it works with the car.
    The original N95 was poor in many ways, the firmware let it down massively. The new 8GB version is superb however, one of the best phones i have ever used and seeing as i change my phone every couple of weeks that is saying something, lol.

    That is the new deal, that is being offered everywhere now. It is to make way for the new 3G version that is pending.

    Rich

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Mine is the original n95 dont like it at all it's even put me off buying the new 8gb which as you say is better by a long way.
    Give the iphone a go and see if it's as good or as bad as the brick i have at the moment.
    Thanks for your replies guys.

  9. #8
    The Damned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by RichC View Post
    It is obviously just my opinion but i feel it is severely lacking in several areas. Also it annoys me how O2 sale people make it out to be the absolute dogs b*llocks when it does have its flaws.

    The main reason i pass this comment though is because i own a mobile phone shop and people are always thanking me for bringing the cons to their attention as nobody seems willing to.

    If you want a device for surfing the internet however then i will openly admit it is the best handset i have used for this by a long long way.

    Rich
    Absolutely right it does have some flaws like crap camera, Lack of taking movie clips and no media messaging, adding your own ringtones etc but for me the pro's far outway the cons. Depends what you want out of a phone really

  10. #9
    RAC 500W

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Maximo View Post
    Absolutely right it does have some flaws like crap camera, Lack of taking movie clips and no media messaging, adding your own ringtones etc but for me the pro's far outway the cons. Depends what you want out of a phone really
    Your bang on the money with what you say, those are the general flaws that many people are unaware of. If these arent important to you then great, you have a fantastic phone and like you say everyones tastes are different.

    One thing i hate is people being mis-sold contracts, especially when they are more than likely 18 month deals and with the added problem of 14 day cooling off periods being dropped it is even more important to buy the right phone.

    Rich

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Maximo View Post
    Absolutely right it does have some flaws like crap camera, Lack of taking movie clips and no media messaging, adding your own ringtones etc but for me the pro's far outway the cons. Depends what you want out of a phone really
    After reading this i had a bit of a search on the net i will have to get it unlocked/Jailbreak if i want the phone to do that little bit more as above.
    If i go with 02 on a contract 35 a month 18 months. Think i'll look into this a bit more before i buy.
    Von Maximo what would you say are the pro's of owning the iphone?
    A bit more digging i think lol

  12. #11
    The Damned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    After reading this i had a bit of a search on the net i will have to get it unlocked/Jailbreak if i want the phone to do that little bit more as above.
    If i go with 02 on a contract 35 a month 18 months. Think i'll look into this a bit more before i buy.
    Von Maximo what would you say are the pro's of owning the iphone?
    A bit more digging i think lol
    For me the pro's are being able to surf the net with Safari, constantly connected to email. Movies/film clips/music videos. The way it displays text messages, Scanning through pictures, Instant maps/direction and locating your position etc and generally the way the operating system works.

    Probably best to go into an O2 or Apple shop to have a play for yourself. For me I couldn't be without it but depends if you can live with having some of the above flaws.

    Not sure I'd like to go down the unlocking path as it's been mentioned a few times that apple are trying to break this habit by a bug that downloads when there is a firmware upgrade and renders your iphone useless. Try googling it

  13. #12
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by RichC View Post
    It is obviously just my opinion but i feel it is severely lacking in several areas. Also it annoys me how O2 sale people make it out to be the absolute dogs b*llocks when it does have its flaws.

    The main reason i pass this comment though is because i own a mobile phone shop and people are always thanking me for bringing the cons to their attention as nobody seems willing to.

    If you want a device for surfing the internet however then i will openly admit it is the best handset i have used for this by a long long way.

    Rich
    Agree with everything you say, and while the browser is VERY good on WLAN on GPRS (Or EDGE if you can find it) is appauling

    I get to choose a new phone two or three times a week, some prototype, some production and the iPhone was the most disappointing as a phone, as a MP3/Video player and WLAN browser its superb, as a phone its not

  14. #13
    L60N
    Guest
    I dont mind my N95, it is the old model but flashed up to the lastest firmware.

    With Kontrabands help I also now have a fully integrated steering wheel with caller display etc. I will buy a black 8gb nokia when funds free up a little.

    I just love nokias. One thing i will say though is that the n95 is by far the worst built nokia I have ever owned, but the functionality is superb.

    I dont rate the iphone, its just hype, and Im one of those who just ignore it.

    e.g. Ive never watched a harry potter film :P

  15. #14
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    yeah, the N95 classic on f/w v20 or v21 inclusive of demand paging is now an excellent firmware varient.

    Also hooks up to the BT module in the new cars no problems once you know how (which is the bit most people havent been told by the manual).

    The iPhone is excellent for what it does, which makes it an great item. Its the fact its being sold as the greatest thing ever that does everything... because ... well its not! Its the apple marketing machine in full swing tho... lets face it... its for people that fall for that stuff!


    If I was harcoring my Internet use though from a handheld I'd be looking more at the nokia 810 than an iPhone... but what do I know.


    L6ON, everytime I see your post theres a damn fly on my screen and I cant kill it... its much more tricky now its not crawling across the whole screen... I really did try to squash it the first time I saw it! HAHAHAHHA

  16. #15
    L60N
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    L6ON, everytime I see your post theres a damn fly on my screen and I cant kill it... its much more tricky now its not crawling across the whole screen... I really did try to squash it the first time I saw it! HAHAHAHHA

  17. #16
    RAC 500W

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Maximo View Post
    Not sure I'd like to go down the unlocking path as it's been mentioned a few times that apple are trying to break this habit by a bug that downloads when there is a firmware upgrade and renders your iphone useless. Try googling it
    The iPhone that i used was a jailbreak, it opens the handset up a lot more, it enables you to do a little bit more. The downfall is you have to use an old version of iTunes and have the auto-update feature disabled to stop it bricking the handset.

    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    I get to choose a new phone two or three times a week, some prototype, some production and the iPhone was the most disappointing as a phone, as a MP3/Video player and WLAN browser its superb, as a phone its not
    Interesting, if you dont mind me asking how do you get this honour, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    yeah, the N95 classic on f/w v20 or v21 inclusive of demand paging is now an excellent firmware varient.

    Also hooks up to the BT module in the new cars no problems once you know how (which is the bit most people havent been told by the manual).

    The iPhone is excellent for what it does, which makes it an great item. Its the fact its being sold as the greatest thing ever that does everything... because ... well its not! Its the apple marketing machine in full swing tho... lets face it... its for people that fall for that stuff!


    If I was harcoring my Internet use though from a handheld I'd be looking more at the nokia 810 than an iPhone... but what do I know.
    The N95 with the latest firmware is certainly much much better, the original version 10 was desperate.

    Thats the point, the way they market it you would expect it to do everything, and it doesnt.

    Ive never really been a fan of the Nokia internet tablets but in saying that ive never really used them so its not a fair comment.

    Rich

  18. #17
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Microsoft have bought a phone manufacturer, so expect the ZUNEPHONE soon.
    Garmin are also releasing a phone soon, using proper satnav software.
    I love my itouch, so chances are I'd love an iphone.
    Just the cost puts me off (I'd need a sim-free one).
    I couldn't give a stuff that it's camera's crap.
    I couldn't give a crap about it's email/safari stuff either, never use 'em on the touch.
    Just the thought of it's MP3/video, combined with a phone, sounds excellent.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st April 2008 at 12:38.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  19. #18
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    RichC - one of the perks of my job of choosing which phones an operator should range

    Bowfer - One of the bad things about the iphone is texting/dialling or in fact any keypad input while moving/walking (Of course not driving!!)- with a normal phone you know where the keys are - with touch screens you don't

    Don't get me wrong, I've got a fair few ipods too, the touch is VERY good, I use it alot, but there are much better phones out there, Nokia, Samsung and LG are bringing out some killer ones in Q4.........

  20. #19
    S3 Big Andy's Avatar
    Stealth Beast Baby Yay

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bramley Hants
    Posts
    707
    I have a n95 8gb for sale as I just got a iphone, it wont work with my idock thingy I had fitted but I have bluetooth which I use.

    Iphone is great, ilove it!!
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk





  21. #20
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I believe Sony are coming out with a proper i-phone competitor?
    Same sort of touch screen scrolling, screen size etc.?
    It's MP3 player function is bound to sound better than the i-phone, straight out of the box.
    The only way you can get an ipod/itouch (and I presume iphone) to sound anywhere near as good as a Sony is to spend a small fortune on earphones.
    In my case, an extra 70 for a pair of Shure SE210's.
    How Apple get away with the bloody awful standard earphones is beyond me.
    One of this month's gadget mags (T3, I think) rates ipod earphone replacement as essential, before you even switch it on.
    You shouldn't have to do that, on a product that can cost 300+ (in the case of a 32gb itouch, or iphone)
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st April 2008 at 14:40.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  22. #21
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    that's why Apple have on average $250 worth of accessories sold per iPod, heck they don't even give you a mains charger!!

  23. #22
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    bowf, I think you can add tomtom to that list too... they look like they running it too.


    rich, I hear you. I played with the N810 during my time at nokia world, using it to blog update and jaiku during the key note speeches and such. I loved it, jst a shame it wasnt a GSM phone too.

  24. #23
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    that the Nokia world in Barcelona? I was there too!

  25. #24
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    actually, the one I was talking about above was Amsterdam... but I was at Barca too.

  26. #25
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    I didn't make the Amsterdam one - gutted!

  27. #26
    Kontraband's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,998
    HAHAH yeah, I played volleyball v the Team Nokia beach volleyball girls!

    anyway... back to iPhones and MFSW etc etc
    Last edited by Kontraband; 22nd April 2008 at 16:51.

  28. #27
    RAC 500W

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    180
    I would love to have been able to attend the Barcelona show.

    Rich

  29. #28
    Covenant's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    that's why Apple have on average $250 worth of accessories sold per iPod, heck they don't even give you a mains charger!!
    You get everything with the iPhone except BT headset and a case to protect it - I was pretty impresssed. Ideally I'd like a spare USB/charge lead so I can leave one on the PC and have a seperate charger but no-one gives you that.

    I want a 3G version? Yes, but only because it is so good at the functions which require it - before this phone I never bothered with web functionality because all the other phones were uniformly bad at it.

    It's the same principle with complaining about a 35/month contract - honestly once you get an iPhone 35 for unlimited data, Hotspot access and 600texts/mins is a pretty good deal considering the amount you use data connections.

    Great things:
    Safari and "push" email
    The best SMS implementation ever
    iPod functions
    Conference/Call waiting
    Contact list, Diary, Clock etc etc
    Outstanding battery life

    Wish list:
    3G
    Better camera (but not essential)
    Cut/Paste functionality
    MMS
    Ability to link a viewed webpage into an SMS message
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

  30. #29
    windsurfer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Porto
    Posts
    1,327
    I have an Iphone and it does everything I want, synchros with my MAC beautifully so no problems and I can have an Ipod and a phone in one thing... perfect for me.

    It is not 3G but that doesn't really bother me I don't use the MMS or video conference, and the camera is poor, again I don't use that feature so that is fine.

    Better phones out there but as a package phone/proper MP3 player I think is hard to beat...

    When they release the 3G version and with more GB available for music/videos... some of you might convert... I am not looking back, like I am not returning to windows... My MAC had it for 2 years now... did not crash once... it... just works!!

    Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

  31. #30
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cambs uk
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    You get everything with the iPhone except BT headset and a case to protect it - I was pretty impresssed. Ideally I'd like a spare USB/charge lead so I can leave one on the PC and have a seperate charger but no-one gives you that.

    I want a 3G version? Yes, but only because it is so good at the functions which require it - before this phone I never bothered with web functionality because all the other phones were uniformly bad at it.

    It's the same principle with complaining about a 35/month contract - honestly once you get an iPhone 35 for unlimited data, Hotspot access and 600texts/mins is a pretty good deal considering the amount you use data connections.

    Great things:
    Safari and "push" email
    The best SMS implementation ever
    iPod functions
    Conference/Call waiting
    Contact list, Diary, Clock etc etc
    Outstanding battery life

    Wish list:
    3G
    Better camera (but not essential)
    Cut/Paste functionality
    MMS
    Ability to link a viewed webpage into an SMS message

    I said iPod's not iPhones, If you look at my ipod touch, came with pretty much feck all

    no idea what comes in the box with the iPhone, mine was sadly without it

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO