iPhone and Audi phone prep/MFSW

madmike

Reaction score
Hi guys first post so be gentle with me.
Does the iphone work ok with the Audi phone prep/MFSW
Dont want to buy one then have problems connecting it to the car.

Cant help you with that im afraid but are you sure you want to buy an iPhone? Slightly off topic i know but its not all its cracked up to be.

Rich

Hi guys first post so be gentle with me.
Does the iphone work ok with the Audi phone prep/MFSW
Dont want to buy one then have problems connecting it to the car.

Yes it does

Cant help you with that im afraid but are you sure you want to buy an iPhone? Slightly off topic i know but its not all its cracked up to be.

Rich

Who says? I can't imagine life without mine! Just wish I'd waited for the 3G one thats coming out in a couple of months

Who says? I can't imagine life without mine! Just wish I'd waited for the 3G one thats coming out in a couple of months

It is obviously just my opinion but i feel it is severely lacking in several areas. Also it annoys me how O2 sale people make it out to be the absolute dogs b*llocks when it does have its flaws.

The main reason i pass this comment though is because i own a mobile phone shop and people are always thanking me for bringing the cons to their attention as nobody seems willing to.

If you want a device for surfing the internet however then i will openly admit it is the best handset i have used for this by a long long way.

Rich

Cheers.
I have a n95 at the moment and its pants with the car.
Good deal on the iphone at cfw/O2 £169 for the 8GB £100 off.
Even better if it works with the car.

Cheers.
I have a n95 at the moment and its pants with the car.
Good deal on the iphone at cfw/O2 £169 for the 8GB £100 off.
Even better if it works with the car.

The original N95 was poor in many ways, the firmware let it down massively. The new 8GB version is superb however, one of the best phones i have ever used and seeing as i change my phone every couple of weeks that is saying something, lol.

That is the new deal, that is being offered everywhere now. It is to make way for the new 3G version that is pending.

Rich

Mine is the original n95 dont like it at all it's even put me off buying the new 8gb which as you say is better by a long way.
Give the iphone a go and see if it's as good or as bad as the brick i have at the moment.
Thanks for your replies guys.

It is obviously just my opinion but i feel it is severely lacking in several areas. Also it annoys me how O2 sale people make it out to be the absolute dogs b*llocks when it does have its flaws.

The main reason i pass this comment though is because i own a mobile phone shop and people are always thanking me for bringing the cons to their attention as nobody seems willing to.

If you want a device for surfing the internet however then i will openly admit it is the best handset i have used for this by a long long way.

Rich

Absolutely right it does have some flaws like crap camera, Lack of taking movie clips and no media messaging, adding your own ringtones etc but for me the pro's far outway the cons. Depends what you want out of a phone really

Absolutely right it does have some flaws like crap camera, Lack of taking movie clips and no media messaging, adding your own ringtones etc but for me the pro's far outway the cons. Depends what you want out of a phone really

Your bang on the money with what you say, those are the general flaws that many people are unaware of. If these arent important to you then great, you have a fantastic phone and like you say everyones tastes are different.

One thing i hate is people being mis-sold contracts, especially when they are more than likely 18 month deals and with the added problem of 14 day cooling off periods being dropped it is even more important to buy the right phone.

Rich

After reading this i had a bit of a search on the net i will have to get it unlocked/Jailbreak if i want the phone to do that little bit more as above.
If i go with 02 on a contract £35 a month 18 months. Think i'll look into this a bit more before i buy.
Von Maximo what would you say are the pro's of owning the iphone?
A bit more digging i think lol

After reading this i had a bit of a search on the net i will have to get it unlocked/Jailbreak if i want the phone to do that little bit more as above.
If i go with 02 on a contract £35 a month 18 months. Think i'll look into this a bit more before i buy.
Von Maximo what would you say are the pro's of owning the iphone?
A bit more digging i think lol

For me the pro's are being able to surf the net with Safari, constantly connected to email. Movies/film clips/music videos. The way it displays text messages, Scanning through pictures, Instant maps/direction and locating your position etc and generally the way the operating system works.

Probably best to go into an O2 or Apple shop to have a play for yourself. For me I couldn't be without it but depends if you can live with having some of the above flaws.

Not sure I'd like to go down the unlocking path as it's been mentioned a few times that apple are trying to break this habit by a bug that downloads when there is a firmware upgrade and renders your iphone useless. Try googling it

Rich

Agree with everything you say, and while the browser is VERY good on WLAN on GPRS (Or EDGE if you can find it) is appauling

I get to choose a new phone two or three times a week, some prototype, some production and the iPhone was the most disappointing as a phone, as a MP3/Video player and WLAN browser its superb, as a phone its not

I dont mind my N95, it is the old model but flashed up to the lastest firmware.

With Kontrabands help I also now have a fully integrated steering wheel with caller display etc. I will buy a black 8gb nokia when funds free up a little.

I just love nokias. One thing i will say though is that the n95 is by far the worst built nokia I have ever owned, but the functionality is superb.

I dont rate the iphone, its just hype, and Im one of those who just ignore it.

e.g. Ive never watched a harry potter film :p

yeah, the N95 classic on f/w v20 or v21 inclusive of demand paging is now an excellent firmware varient.

Also hooks up to the BT module in the new cars no problems once you know how (which is the bit most people havent been told by the manual).

The iPhone is excellent for what it does, which makes it an great item. Its the fact its being sold as the greatest thing ever that does everything... because ... well its not! Its the apple marketing machine in full swing tho... lets face it... its for people that fall for that stuff! ;)

If I was harcoring my Internet use though from a handheld I'd be looking more at the nokia 810 than an iPhone... but what do I know. ;)

L6ON, everytime I see your post theres a damn fly on my screen and I cant kill it... its much more tricky now its not crawling across the whole screen... I really did try to squash it the first time I saw it! HAHAHAHHA

L6ON, everytime I see your post theres a damn fly on my screen and I cant kill it... its much more tricky now its not crawling across the whole screen... I really did try to squash it the first time I saw it! HAHAHAHHA

:)

Not sure I'd like to go down the unlocking path as it's been mentioned a few times that apple are trying to break this habit by a bug that downloads when there is a firmware upgrade and renders your iphone useless. Try googling it

The iPhone that i used was a jailbreak, it opens the handset up a lot more, it enables you to do a little bit more. The downfall is you have to use an old version of iTunes and have the auto-update feature disabled to stop it bricking the handset.

I get to choose a new phone two or three times a week, some prototype, some production and the iPhone was the most disappointing as a phone, as a MP3/Video player and WLAN browser its superb, as a phone its not

Interesting, if you dont mind me asking how do you get this honour, lol.

yeah, the N95 classic on f/w v20 or v21 inclusive of demand paging is now an excellent firmware varient.

Also hooks up to the BT module in the new cars no problems once you know how (which is the bit most people havent been told by the manual).

The iPhone is excellent for what it does, which makes it an great item. Its the fact its being sold as the greatest thing ever that does everything... because ... well its not! Its the apple marketing machine in full swing tho... lets face it... its for people that fall for that stuff! ;)

If I was harcoring my Internet use though from a handheld I'd be looking more at the nokia 810 than an iPhone... but what do I know. ;)

The N95 with the latest firmware is certainly much much better, the original version 10 was desperate.

Thats the point, the way they market it you would expect it to do everything, and it doesnt.

Ive never really been a fan of the Nokia internet tablets but in saying that ive never really used them so its not a fair comment.

Rich

Microsoft have bought a phone manufacturer, so expect the ZUNEPHONE soon.
Garmin are also releasing a phone soon, using proper satnav software.
I love my itouch, so chances are I'd love an iphone.
Just the cost puts me off (I'd need a sim-free one).
I couldn't give a stuff that it's camera's crap.
I couldn't give a crap about it's email/safari stuff either, never use 'em on the touch.
Just the thought of it's MP3/video, combined with a phone, sounds excellent.

RichC - one of the perks of my job of choosing which phones an operator should range :)

Bowfer - One of the bad things about the iphone is texting/dialling or in fact any keypad input while moving/walking (Of course not driving!!)- with a normal phone you know where the keys are - with touch screens you don't

Don't get me wrong, I've got a fair few ipods too, the touch is VERY good, I use it alot, but there are much better phones out there, Nokia, Samsung and LG are bringing out some killer ones in Q4.........

I have a n95 8gb for sale as I just got a iphone, it wont work with my idock thingy I had fitted but I have bluetooth which I use.

Iphone is great, ilove it!!

I believe Sony are coming out with a proper i-phone competitor?
Same sort of touch screen scrolling, screen size etc.?
It's MP3 player function is bound to sound better than the i-phone, straight out of the box.
The only way you can get an ipod/itouch (and I presume iphone) to sound anywhere near as good as a Sony is to spend a small fortune on earphones.
In my case, an extra £70 for a pair of Shure SE210's.
How Apple get away with the ****** awful standard earphones is beyond me.
One of this month's gadget mags (T3, I think) rates ipod earphone replacement as essential, before you even switch it on.
You shouldn't have to do that, on a product that can cost £300+ (in the case of a 32gb itouch, or iphone)

that's why Apple have on average $250 worth of accessories sold per iPod, heck they don't even give you a mains charger!!

bowf, I think you can add tomtom to that list too... they look like they running it too.

rich, I hear you. I played with the N810 during my time at nokia world, using it to blog update and jaiku during the key note speeches and such. I loved it, jst a shame it wasnt a GSM phone too. ;)

actually, the one I was talking about above was Amsterdam... but I was at Barca too. ;)

HAHAH yeah, I played volleyball v the Team Nokia beach volleyball girls! :jump:

anyway... back to iPhones and MFSW etc etc ;)

I would love to have been able to attend the Barcelona show.

Rich

that's why Apple have on average $250 worth of accessories sold per iPod, heck they don't even give you a mains charger!!

You get everything with the iPhone except BT headset and a case to protect it - I was pretty impresssed. Ideally I'd like a spare USB/charge lead so I can leave one on the PC and have a seperate charger but no-one gives you that.

I want a 3G version? Yes, but only because it is so good at the functions which require it - before this phone I never bothered with web functionality because all the other phones were uniformly bad at it.

It's the same principle with complaining about a £35/month contract - honestly once you get an iPhone £35 for unlimited data, Hotspot access and 600texts/mins is a pretty good deal considering the amount you use data connections.

Great things:
Safari and "push" email
The best SMS implementation ever
iPod functions
Conference/Call waiting
Contact list, Diary, Clock etc etc
Outstanding battery life

Wish list:
3G
Better camera (but not essential)
Cut/Paste functionality
MMS
Ability to link a viewed webpage into an SMS message

I have an Iphone and it does everything I want, synchros with my MAC beautifully so no problems and I can have an Ipod and a phone in one thing... perfect for me.

It is not 3G but that doesn't really bother me I don't use the MMS or video conference, and the camera is poor, again I don't use that feature so that is fine.

Better phones out there but as a package phone/proper MP3 player I think is hard to beat...

When they release the 3G version and with more GB available for music/videos... some of you might convert... I am not looking back, like I am not returning to windows... My MAC had it for 2 years now... did not crash once... it... just works!!

Pedro

You get everything with the iPhone except BT headset and a case to protect it - I was pretty impresssed. Ideally I'd like a spare USB/charge lead so I can leave one on the PC and have a seperate charger but no-one gives you that.

I want a 3G version? Yes, but only because it is so good at the functions which require it - before this phone I never bothered with web functionality because all the other phones were uniformly bad at it.

It's the same principle with complaining about a £35/month contract - honestly once you get an iPhone £35 for unlimited data, Hotspot access and 600texts/mins is a pretty good deal considering the amount you use data connections.

Great things:
Safari and "push" email
The best SMS implementation ever
iPod functions
Conference/Call waiting
Contact list, Diary, Clock etc etc
Outstanding battery life

Wish list:
3G
Better camera (but not essential)
Cut/Paste functionality
MMS
Ability to link a viewed webpage into an SMS message

I said iPod's not iPhones, If you look at my ipod touch, came with pretty much feck all

no idea what comes in the box with the iPhone, mine was sadly without it