EM TuningVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

emulsified oil on filler cap

Checked oil today needed top up took off filler cap and it was covered in a white/green slime what can cause this on a 56 plate 2.0 tfsi with 6500 miles on the clock the car was serviced in dec with 5000 miles on

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    seems to be fairly normal, plenty of us had the same. My car was serviced 2000 miles ago and I still see traces of it after a short journey. Some say if you take it out for a good rag it clears it, but mine seems pretty consistent
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Neutral

Status
    So nothing to worry about do you keep a check on it and clean the cap every month or so. I only drive approx 12 miles per day is short journeys the cause

Third Gear

Status
    Short runs were the engine doesn't warm up properly are the probable cause, give the car a good hard run, as mentioned and it should get rid of the problem.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    As the posts above if you do allot of short journeys you get condensation in the cylinder head because the engine doesnt get to a high enough temperature to burn this condensation off and it collects as emulsified oil in the cap.
    In the worst case it can potentially be a failed head gasket...but you would see emulsified oil in the sump..so check your dip stick, check coolant levels and if all is OK then just take it out for a good old blast. Also just make sure you service the car regularily and change the oil in-between services if neccessary.

Cheers,

Neutral

Status
    Cleaned oil cap and went on a 30 mile blast along the A68.On returning left car to cool then checked again only small amount of deposits on the cap so hopefully just condensation , will have to get out and give a good blast once a week to keep it clean. thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markwiggy View Post
    Short runs were the engine doesn't warm up properly are the probable cause, give the car a good hard run, as mentioned and it should get rid of the problem.

Mark
    Thats what i was always told
    A3 2.O TDI 170 S-LINE

is a retronaut

Status
    Correct me if I'm wrong but surely if there is condensation on the inside of an engine then there must be water in the engine!

My mate picked up a brand new golf gti and had water in the engine. I don't know how it got there or how he knew but I know it was sorted under warranty.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.